Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
catdown.jpg 1596752042685.png
The macOS 11.0 Big Sur Public Beta is now available. Apple wants as many users as possible to test macOS Big Sur to provide constructive feedback before the official release later this fall. To participate in the free Public Beta, you must enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program using your Apple ID.

Enroll in the Free Apple Beta Software Program
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

This site will allow discussion of this software and its installation for those who have enrolled. Therefore we’ve added new subforums for the beta where users can post for support: Big Sur Desktop Support, Big Sur Desktop Guides, Big Sur Laptop Support and Big Sur Laptop Guides.

If you're installing the Public Beta, let us know how it goes!

EDIT 2020/8/20:

macOS 11.0 Big Sur Public Beta 2 is Now Available

Note: Please post all help questions in Big Sur Desktop Support.

Related:

Last edited:
Now that the Public Beta is released and as I am part of the Developers Program, I think I am allowed to report that this version of OS X is far more problematic to install on a hack than previous versions because of Apple's security implementation of a sealed volume to enhance security and improve how future updates are handled. The latest Clover version still has a problem installing and loading Big Sur, OC seems to fare a lot better if running the very latest version coupled with up to date kexts. The look and feel of Big Sur kind of threw me off at first but after playing with it for a few weeks, I like it.

Must use Opencore. Big Sur has kernel collections and such, so the prelinked kernel method of old is deprecated. clover is broken on Big Sur. But the developers of Opencore have been on it since the early developer previews. Opencore 0.6.0+ works very well on Big Sur on my 10th gen intel.

Everything is working great on my old Z68X Ivy Bridge system with OpenCore v0.6.0
Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 3.31.20 PM.png

Edit: Subsequent updates through 11.0.1 Release Candidate 2 (build 20B28) installed normally after changing Misc > Security > SecureBootModel to Disabled in my config.plist. Everything continues to work properly. Updated to OpenCore v0.6.3.

Last edited:
Everything is working great on my old Z68X Ivy Bridge system with OpenCore v0.6.0
View attachment 483112

You mean Sandy Bridge (2nd generation) :). More reason for you to be proud. Had the same motherboard but upgraded recently to 9th generation. Excellent MB!

Edit: NM, it looks like starting with BIOS F11 it supports Ivy as well. Learning a new thing every day :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back