Contribute
Register

macOS 11.0 Big Sur Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Converted from Clover to OpenCore & installed the latest Big Sur Pubic Beta. Minor issues caused by not having all my SSDT's installed. After that, it went through fine.

Finally had time to migrate from Clover to OpenCore 0.6.1, upgraded from Catalina 10.15.6 directly to Big Sur Public Beta 3 I believe it was.

Everything is working except the WiFi, of course that is because I'm using pretty old USB dongle, gotta get me a new one these days.

I'm pretty impressed with OC and Big Sur itself, even in Beta stage, both runs pretty fast and smooth, looking forward for the future of the both projects.

As a user of a triple-boot system, luckily I managed to make a clean migrate and upgrade, not to mess the rest two OS's (Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS).

Screenshot 2020-09-18 at 20.17.24.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My post on the Beta update 8 got deleted? It is a public Beta update. I'm not a developer and I don't have the developer version?
Actually it is a Developer's Beta so in accordance with T/M Site Rule all posts about such Betas is not allowed. As a genuine Apple Developer, I have forgotten about the rule and fallen fowl of this rule a few times so removal of the post is a gentle reminder.

Hmm.. I also got the update and I'm no developer, says beta 8 and is a 3,61 GB download.

I'm not a Developer, and I have never had access to the Developer Beta. I guess last week there was a Developer Beta 7 and I never had access to that.

I've always only had access to the Public Beta and its subsequent updates. I just simply checked for an update today (Apple menu > About this Mac > Software Update...) and it said that it was available.

Maybe they mixed up the roll out?

Actually it is a Developer's Beta so in accordance with T/M Site Rule all posts about such Betas is not allowed. As a genuine Apple Developer, I have forgotten about the rule and fallen fowl of this rule a few times so removal of the post is a gentle reminder.

I'm not a Developer, and I have never had access to the Developer Beta. I guess last week there was a Developer Beta 7 and I never had access to that.

I've always only had access to the Public Beta and its subsequent updates. I just simply checked for an update today (Apple menu > About this Mac > Software Update...) and it said that it was available.

Maybe they mixed up the roll out?
Same here. I am no developer and I got the same prompt. Installing it as we speak. And I have not been prompted for version 7 previously.
With that said, Beta 8 seems to be indeed a developer seed. If that's the case, I don't understand why we with public beta versions have received the update notification. Unless something went off the rails with the beta updates process.

Last edited:
same here. I have never had developer beta either but I did get the developer beta 8. One change I could tell right away that the desktop wallpaper did not reset to default wallpaper upon reboot.

Hmmmm - there seem to be a cross section here with Developer and Public, maybe Apple somehow has now decided to rolled the two (Public and Developer) into one because after the release of the first Public Beta how many more were issued whereas they have released quite a few Developer ones up to this Beta 8. In saying that, I speculate there will probably be one more Beta and then the release of the GM stand alone install version prior to the official release.

Hmmmm - there seem to be a cross section here with Developer and Public, maybe Apple somehow has now decided to rolled the two (Public and Developer) into one because after the release of the first Public Beta how many more were issued whereas they have released quite a few Developer ones up to this Beta 8. In saying that, I speculate there will probably be one more Beta and then the release of the GM stand alone install version prior to the official release.
I concur, a GM seems imminent. Apples own stuff seems to be working quite well, just some third party software that is lagging behind. CCC, Beyond Compare, VideoProc, Audio Hijack and Little Snitch, to mention just a few that I am fond of using.

Greetings Henties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back