Contribute
Register

macOS 11.0 Big Sur Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
It got stuck at the midway through with this on the screen; Forcing CS_RUNTIME for entitlement: com.apple.rootless.restricted-block-devices, I left it alone for awhile then it completed the installation. Opencore 0.6.0 and iMac system def 18,3.
yes, it takes ages at that stage many peeps will think it has crashed at that point but i think it is doing a "snap shot" of the installation

If you mean MICS>Boot>PickersAttributes, it didn't work for me.

View attachment 484173
Quote a solution from SavageAUS from another forum, I can confirm it works:
To update Big Sur volume label from PreBoot to what ever you named it (if you named it) install something that updates the preboot volume like intel power gadget (then remove if unwanted) reboot, success!

Quote a solution from SavageAUS from other forum, I can confirm it works:
To update Big Sur volume label from PreBoot to what ever you named it (if you named it) install something that updates the preboot volume like intel power gadget (then remove if unwanted) reboot, success!
Install wifi USB adapter for Big Sur fix preboot loader, now visible macOS Big Sur in boot menu.
THANK YOU

My first attempt at OpenCore. Big Sur installed like a charm. Everything working OOTB.

View attachment 484663
I have a question though.

After installing, when I boot via OpenCore bootloader, i see that the disk from which Big Sur boots has been named Preboot. There is no other disc present (even though during the install I had formatted the disc with name "Hackintosh".

Big Sur boots fine though, and as i said, everything works great (so far).

Seems to be a Big Sur "issue" right now, on previous betas, there where work arounds to change it but seems to not work on the latest. Hopefully next beta it will change again. I've seen a people posts it magically changed to disk name on a fresh install and a few reboots....I have't had that luck

I finally managed to get the Big Sur Beta installed today. Despite my best efforts, my USB installer kept exiting during the first stage of installation (for no apparent reason).

In the end, what fixed this for me, was redownloading the Big Sur installer. I also added "--downloadassets" to the terminal command, next time I created my USB installer. After making both these changes, and with the same OpenCore 6.0 configuration and kexts, my Big Sur installation eventually completed.

Like others, I got stuck on "Forcing CS_RUNTIME" - in my case, for a couple of minutes. In addition, I found that WEG was no longer required in Big Sur for my MSI 5700 XT GPU, and I disabled it during installation. My hack also rebooted about three times during the whole process. I use a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.

Attachments

• Big Sur Beta.jpg
    Big Sur Beta.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Success...but an eventful journey to get there....

BigSur.png

Installing the BigSur beta wasn't in my plans. But it was clear that using the OpenCore bootloader would be needed when the time came to install it. So getting OC to work on a spare disk was the project. I suppose there are lucky people who just follow the Vanilla Guide and it works the first time with no issues. But I'm not one of them After two unsuccessful days, it was down to 5 or so settings to try (i.e. five factorial combinations!) and the third day brought success. My hats off to the OpenCore development team. Testing with Catalina showed a fully functional and stable system. Then fate stepped in with a prompt from Apple to install the BigSur beta. I had forgotten that I had previously used that disk for beta testing. Faced with the choice of researching Medicare plans for my wife or installing BigSur, the choice the easy. And the installation was easy too, except that in my haste I didn't do the usual research beforehand. So the installation proceeded for 40 minutes with the screen black for most of the time. The beeping of the UPS system told me the installation was complete and that the login prompt was there...but I couldn't see it. So then I did the research to find that lilu, whatevergreen and virtualsmc needed to be updated. With those updated, a reboot soon revealed the ugly BigSur background. Summary: with latest OpenCore (0.6) and kexts, it was a smooth upgrade from Catalina to BigSur. More exploring to do to see what is new and what doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back