Contribute
Register

macOS 11.0 Big Sur Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late release from Apple says it all, Beta means it isn't working, Apple want you to find the bugs as usual and waste your precious time, just wait for the final release
Actually I find the Big Sur beta version quite decent which is surprising for me. However, you’re right. I added yesterday the clock widget and the second hand runs backwards :lol:

Updated directly from Install macOS Big Sur App, using OpenCore 0.6.0, no issues whatsoever.
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 2.47.26 PM.png

Now that the Public Beta is released and as I am part of the Developers Program, I think I am allowed to report that this version of OS X is far more problematic to install on a hack than previous versions because of Apple's security implementation of a sealed volume to enhance security and improve how future updates are handled. The latest Clover version still has a problem installing and loading Big Sur, OC seems to fare a lot better if running the very latest version coupled with up to date kexts. The look and feel of Big Sur kind of threw me off at first but after playing with it for a few weeks, I like it.
Yep. I'm on Clover 5120 (iMac system def 18,3) installing to an APFS volume on my Catalina boot NVMe and Big Sur PB doesn't even get through the installer without throwing up the "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running the application again." error. So I run it again and the same thing happens. I try rebooting anyway, select the Big Sur volume in the Clover menu, and instant hang. Don't even get to the progress bar under the apple.

Thanks Tony! No major problems on a Dell PowerEdge T30 so far.
Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 4.16.13 PM.png
Acquantia 10 Gb ethernet changes:
* com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
* Find: 0F84C002 0000
* Replace: 660F1F44 0000

Last edited:
After playing with the public beta Big Sur for roughly a day, I have decided to wait for a more stable version. I have encountered 4 application crashes (Maps, iMessage, News) in addition of the second hand of the widget clock moving backwards (at last reboot it seemed to work fine). I'm glad though that the installation was like on a real Mac. Looking forward for the official launch version even though I think I'll wait for 11.1 or 11.2 before using it day-to-day.

It was a smooth upgrade to Big Sur directly from developer site, I love it so far:)
OpenCore 0.6.1 with updated new kext on GA-Z77X-UP5-TH + i7 7700K + Intel HD Graphics 630
Logic Pro X, Kontakt, plugin's, UAD Apollo etc. no issue so far.

Most people are jumping straight in without doing proper research about Big Sur, for example how different this OS is, more so on a Hack, compared to Catalina or others before. We are finding the same queries being asked over and over again and the same mistakes are being made when Big Sur is being installed and then hits a panic.

Before attempting to install Big Sur, we must know this - Clover can only boot a pre-install installation of Big Sur, you cannot make a Clover installation USB drive like before until the Devs sort out the problem.

For the moment until Clover is fixed, OC is the boot loader to go to, OpenCore looks complicated but it is simplified in a very understanding Guide (Google is handy here).

Find successful Big Sur installs on specs as close as possible to your own and learn about the pitfalls and work arounds if any, like ethernet/wifi cards not working, (it is pointless to bleat - 'It worked in Catalina but now it won't work'- remember at the start I said how different this OS is?), Safari not playing videos, cannot watch DRM material etc, etc.

Research is the key before taking the plunge, also very important to remember, it is still a Beta and they are still bugs to be fixed. If you're successful with the install, go to the app 'Feedback Assistant' and read the bugs fixes so far and the ones that aren't.

Do not use Big Sur as your daily driver, test on a spare drive if possible and play with to get to know your likes and dislikes of Big Sur to your heart's content :) or wait until at least the Golden Master or Final Release.
Whatever decision you make Good luck.

Most people are jumping straight in without doing proper research about Big Sur, for example how different this OS is, more so on a Hack, compared to Catalina or others before. We are finding the same queries being asked over and over again and the same mistakes are being made when Big Sur is being installed and then hits a panic.

Before attempting to install Big Sur, we must know this - Clover can only boot a pre-install installation of Big Sur, you cannot make a Clover installation USB drive like before until the Devs sort out the problem.

For the moment until Clover is fixed, OC is the boot loader to go to, OpenCore looks complicated but it is simplified in a very understanding Guide (Google is handy here).

Find successful Big Sur installs on specs as close as possible to your own and learn about the pitfalls and work arounds if any, like ethernet/wifi cards not working, (it is pointless to bleat - 'It worked in Catalina but now it won't work'- remember at the start I said how different this OS is?), Safari not playing videos, cannot watch DRM material etc, etc.

Research is the key before taking the plunge, also very important to remember, it is still a Beta and they are still bugs to be fixed. If you're successful with the install, go to the app 'Feedback Assistant' and read the bugs fixes so far and the ones that aren't.

Do not use Big Sur as your daily driver, test on a spare drive if possible and play with to get to know your likes and dislikes of Big Sur to your heart's content :) or wait until at least the Golden Master or Final Release.
Whatever decision you make Good luck.

You are so right, of course, however people follow your Google advice and then come here to solve any problems caused by that site.

Very true though. Big Sur is in early beta for goodness sake and is bound to have tricky problems to work around and things which don't work (like clock hands that go backwards) - Clover or OpenCore.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back