Contribute
Register

macOS 11.0 Big Sur Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smooth “Mac Hardware” like clean installation(s).
Every single thing working as it worked on macOS Catalina.

Lenovo ThinkPad:
- T440
- T440S
- T440P
- X240

OpenCore 0.6.0 and latest kexts as of Acidanthera August release that happened on Monday.

Welcome Enhancement Note:
DW1820A successfully connected to instant hotspot a few times which never happened on previous versions of macOS on non Apple Card(s)

Painless install with OC 0.6.0, not sure I like what I see though.. But now I think I get Adobes new splashscreens and icons, it's a perfect match :rolleyes:

Looks more like my iPad.. maybe it will grow on me or this version may be the end of a long journey that started with Leopard and a Dell Inspiron 9300 :confused:

Updated my secondary drive on Sledge Hammer, OC 0.5.8 -> 0.6.0 + latest kexts. The Big Sur install was flawless but don't get caught out by the loooong step "Forcing CS_RUNTIME...." I concluded it was stuck after 10 or 15 minutes and restarted. It went back to the installer and got stuck in the same place. I walked away for a while and when I came back was on the Big Sur login screen. Everything I've tried so far works. Handoff, sound, graphics, networking, iMessage. Flawless. The one thing that doesn't work is cloning the drive with SuperDuper. It can't "see" the source drive. I'll guess that's a problem with other disk utils such as CCC.

I'm now confident enough to think about switching my primary drive from Clover to OC. I'll stay on Catalina there until the production release of Big Sur.

Opencore 0.6 with latest kexts... didn't change the CSR-config bit yet. I upgraded last night with only 1 hitch. On first reboot, it tried to launch EFI and failed so I restarted and it proceeded to complete installation. My guess is that it wanted to update firmware.

Will fine tune more over next few days. So far so good.

I have to say that the installation experience of Big Sur Public Beta has been such a disappointment for me. No thrill, no excitement! My experience has been like installing another Catalina upgrade :)

Moreover, I have not used any bootable USB (i.e. have not populated the EFI partition on the USB stick). Since OC and kexts were up to date on Catalina, I only downloaded the public beta version through Settings -> System Updates, ran through Terminal the command to copy the Big Sur installation files to USB stick, restarted the machine, OpenCore from SSD displayed the menu and selected the Install Big Sur from USB icon. I think that is how I will install Big Sur official version once it's out. No more need to populate the EFI partition (unless you want a rescue bootable USB stick).

Typing this from Safari 14.0.

P.S. When I say that OpenCore was up to date, I am referring at version 0.6.0
1596823588333.png

Attachments

• 1596823554645.png
    1596823554645.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
It will be stuck for a while, after that everything will go well.

截圖 2020-08-08 下午4.32.23.png

Late release from Apple says it all, Beta means it isn't working, Apple want you to find the bugs as usual and waste your precious time, just wait for the final release

Will OpenCore be the only bootloader choice for macOS 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back