Contribute
Register

macOS 11.0 Big Sur is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Tried first with OC 0.62 which I have been using successfully for a while.Nope. Spawned all kinds of errors.Tried with a test USB with 0.63 Nope different errors. Fiddled with it for some time but after I read from various sources it seems to be in the very early stages. Some things are broken and BigSur is now very picky with a lot of things. Notably some of the ACPI stuff that I'm struggling with (which works fine in Catalina) and looks like work in progress. As tempting as it is I will wait till things settle a bit ad try again. Maybe with a newer OC and whenever all the kinks will be cleared.

The CFG Lock setting is hidden from gui, and it blocked the oc booting process. it must be disabled in modGrubShell, after that all worked smoothly. Yes i switched to oc from clover, and oc is charming about booting speed

Rock and Roll!

Big Sur baby!

Man... this one was a real PITA.

Clover 5126. + quirks (at least some of them)

I first upgraded to 5123.d1 , updated all my kexts.
I made sure I could boot my other OS's (Mojave, Catalina and Windows)
Then I downloaded and installed latest Clover on a USB with all my kexts, mounted both EFI's with CC, I opened the config.sample.plis and my config.plist with CC and copied the quirks and other settings from the config.sample.plist file to my config.plist file.. then I sacrificed a virgin chicken to the spirit of Steve Jobs and booted from the EFI on my USB.

And after a day and a half of heavy chain-smoking I finally have my Big Sur.

Man, this upgrade was intense.

One weird (positive) and cool thing is that on my previous install (Catalina) and my other Mac OS drive (Mojave) I didn't have WiFi, and I could not turn off BT.. On Big Sur I can. I have WiFi and BT!! Pretty cool.

Thank you Tonymac, Clover People, Open Core people, Going Bald, RehabMan, all of you.. thank you for these three years!

You guys rock!

EDIT: the WiFi doesn't work.. It's just the icon that is visible but it doesn't work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 6.34.18 AM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 6.34.18 AM (2).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 5.08.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 5.08.09 PM.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 103
Last edited by a moderator:
macOS 11.0 Big Sur is now available from the Mac App Store.
Thanks Tony I finally have my ASUS Gryphon Z97 working. Initially, the software updates installer kernel would boot and transition to a black screen with a spinner, and then reboot with a kernel message of “AppleActutatorDeviceUserClient::stop Entered” message. I ended up clearing NVRAM and reverting to the oldest ASUS BIOS version that supports 4790K. Not sure which change fixed it (the fix could have even been just clearing the BIOS config). But anyway Big Sur works now! Special thanks to spang1974 and manolo2001!
Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 11.05.03 AM.png

Gigabyte Brix i7-4500U 8GB/128 mSATA (except stock wireless card)

I can confirm that everything is working fine with Opencore 0.6.3 as before. (with Catalina 10.15.7)

Hello. First I switched my build from Clover to Opencore 0.6.3 using the same OS install. This took me some time as I was completely ignorant about Opencore, but after several hours I succeed in migration to Opencore 0.6.1, then update to 0.6.3 and finally Updating from Catalina 15.7 system preferences.

Update was very smooth, actually like a real Mac. Just press the button and leave the system on its own. After 20 minutes +- I got the Big Sur welcome screen.

No issues known at this moment.

My build is with Gigabyte Designare Z390 and AMD Radeon 580

I updated also. Everything seems to work just fine except sleep. It goes to sleep but it won't wake up. Sometimes it will wake up but show blank screen so I have to reboot and sometimes it will display the login screen but it doesn't respond to the keyboard or any mouse clicks. I 've tried a couple SMBIOS (iMac 15,1 / 19,1 / 19,2 an 18,something) but still no luck. Sleep used to work from the days of High Sierra.

I am using the latest clover and at first tries I was getting the EB|LOG timestamp error so after searching a bit I set SetupVirtualMap to true in clover configurator and so I managed to complete the installation (it took a while, a few times I thought it was stuck). Also I updated AppleALC, Lilu, VirtualSMC and WhateverGreen.

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
i7 4790-k
16 gb ram HyperX Savage 1866 ddr3
RX580 Sapphire

I made the switch to OpenCore, and Big Sur runs perfectly. Hats off to the folks behind OC for a meticulously documented set of instructions.

Back