Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15 Catalina is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Hey all,

I notice that system compatibility is getting close to deprecation for my current system definition (iMac late 2013). Is there a way to 'safely' update the system definition to a newer model?

Hey all,

I notice that system compatibility is getting close to deprecation for my current system definition (iMac late 2013). Is there a way to 'safely' update the system definition to a newer model?
If you're using iMac 14,2 right now stay with it until at least early June 2020 at WWDC. Then we'll know for sure whether Apple will keep supporting it with macOS 11.0. There's a chance they might keep supporting Haswell systems like the 2013 iMac. EDIT: Support for iMac 14,2 was dropped in Big Sur. Sorry. :|

If you want to upgrade your GPU before then get an RX 560 or 570. Those will have continued support. Once you have AMD graphics then you can use a newer SMBIOS like iMac 15,1 for the 2014 5K iMac.

Last edited:
Success here for clean install on Z77 DS3H Rev 1.0 - Intel i3 - GT 640

Started from Mojave. Installation process :

1. Create an install USB key
2. Install Clover 5070 on this USB key (send me message for what to check if needed).
3. Place FakeSMC, Lilu and Whatevergreen (last version !) on EFI Clover Kext Other
4. Very important : Rename H_EC to EC (follow this guide : https://floppyblog.com/guide-how-to-update-your-hackintosh-macos-mojave-to-catalina/) or directly for this board apply the patch with clover configurator or hackintool
5. Reboot on USB key
6. Launch the installation (note that if you don't apply H_EC to EC patch, you will have black screen)
7. Once Catalina is installed (launched with USB key), install clover 5070 on Catalina partition (but I have an error that clover is incompatible with this version of OS ?!)
8. So open EFI partition with clover configurator and paste the EFI folder of your USB install key (copied before from the USB install key)
9. Reboot on hard drive (Catalina partition) and you're done !! Absolutely all is working !

Hope this help ;-)
The Floppyblog link has been updated to Kextcache,

I'm on a Catalina 10.15.7 Macbook so the App Store wont let me download it again. When I press the 'Get' button it just opens systems preferences. 'Software Update' is greyed out in system preferences.
Does anybody know of a work around so that I can get it downloaded and make the USB drive?

Hi trs96,
I read that, but my Mac is 2019.
Are you suggesting I could use this method regardless?

Are you suggesting I could use this method regardless?
Doesn't matter how new your Mac or Hackintosh is. It will work.

I've now moved this sentence further up from the 4th paragraph. I know that many don't fully read my guides all the way through before asking questions.
gibMacOS can also be used on newer supported Macs if you are having trouble with the download via the Mac App Store.
Screen Shot 9.jpg

Last edited:
Back