Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15 Catalina is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Never tried updating. Built first hackintosh about 2 years ago and have been running Sierra (10.12.6) since then with no problem. But now have to update to install latest Xcode. (Hackintosh h'w is HP 8300 Elite SFF Q77 Board | i7 3770 | HD 4000).

Any tips on what I should be looking out for?

Do I have to update kexts, etc...? Is it worth trying to do a standard update or is that an invitation for trouble (like getting locked-out of my files - currently don't have a hard drive to back-up to)?

Very rusty, but would appreciate any pointers before starting more research.

Last edited:
Never tried updating. Built first hackintosh about 2 years ago and have been running Sierra (10.12.6) since then with no problem. But now have to update to install latest Xcode. (Hackintosh h'w is HP 8300 Elite SFF Q77 Board | i7 3770 | HD 4000).

Any tips on what I should be looking out for?

Do I have to update kexts, etc...? Is it worth trying to do a standard update or is that an invitation for trouble (like getting locked-out of my files - currently don't have a hard drive to back-up to)?

Very rusty, but would appreciate any pointers before starting more research.

Best to get a new SSD and a new USB stick 16mb. Save your old drive in case you need to go back. You can always load your old files onto the new drive later.

Best to get a new SSD and a new USB stick 16mb. Save your old drive in case you need to go back. You can always load your old files onto the new drive later.
So your saying replace the old drive with a new SSD drive and build a new USB stick? Sounds like u think I should do a full install, not an update? Not a bad idea!

Hmmm. You don't think an OS update is the way to go in my case? (sorry, I'm a bit rusty). Maybe I can try doing a Carbon Copy backup to the new SSD and try the update and see what happens? Problem is I'm still trying to figure out how to do simple things like update Clover (is there a link to instructions for updating Clover?, I can't even find the link to download MultiBeast!)

Can you send your EFI folder, because I want to see how you made the injection for AMD drivers. I got black screen after the last Catalina update. My Graphic Card is a RADEON VII
It's in attachment. But now I have the same issue after update to 10.15.1... Will try to update WhateverGreen 1.3.4 to solve this.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    14.9 MB · Views: 154
It's in attachment. But now I have the same issue after update to 10.15.1... Will try to update WhateverGreen 1.3.4 to solve this.
Whatevergreen.kext is required for AMD GPUs, in the latest update version 1.3.4 is required. There are those who do not require the use of Whatevergreen but they are exceptions. You should also check your GPU model. If it is an RX 550, I understand that they have no support, but it is a question of asking those who have experience in it.

PLEASE, HOW DO YOU INJECT THE CONTROLLERS FOR AMD?
The latest version of Lily and Whatevergreen should serve you. Uncheck any injection you have related to the GPU and test.

My update gets stock after first restart. See screenshot.

Upgrading from latest 10.14 to 10.15.1. Updated Clover, WEG, LILU and ALC (into /other) to latest before 10.15.1 update started.

Don't know how to proceed. Tried agdpmod=pikera with no luck.

Attachments

• 10.15.1 update stock here.JPG
    10.15.1 update stock here.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 206
My update gets stock after first restart. See screenshot.

Upgrading from latest 10.14 to 10.15.1. Updated Clover, WEG, LILU and ALC (into /other) to latest before 10.15.1 update started.

Don't know how to proceed. Tried agdpmod=pikera with no luck.
acpi/patched folder:

Attachments

• SSDT-EC.aml
    63 bytes · Views: 192
acpi/patched folder:

Thank you so much Feartech. Installer continued now, as is on it's way. Was a little hesitant applying the patch without knowing for sure what I was applying, but seems to fix the stock installer.

Didn't see this mentioned, perhaps I missed it, or it has been in another thread. Can you give a pointer on where to better understand what the patch does? Thanks again :).

Back