Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15 Catalina is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Why so many kexts? Alone 3 for Ethernet chip? Use the right one...

Hi guys, I've unable to switch to Catalina.

I have Clover 4934, AppleALC 1.4.2, Lilu 1.3.8 .. my system volume is apfs encrypted

I first tried upgrading from the Apple Store, everything went well, until I hit the grey screen of death, when it was supposed to show the dialog to choose language and such.

I tried decrypting the volume and installing Catalina from scratch (same results), had to reinstall Mojave.

Any thoughts on what to try next ? I'm now thinking to just install fresh on a new ssd, but would like to get past the grey screen.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi guys, I've unable to switch to Catalina.

I have Clover 4934, AppleALC 1.4.2, Lilu 1.3.8 .. my system volume is apfs encrypted

I first tried upgrading from the Apple Store, everything went well, until I hit the grey screen of death, when it was supposed to show the dialog to choose language and such.

I tried decrypting the volume and installing Catalina from scratch (same results), had to reinstall Mojave.

Any thoughts on what to try next ? I'm now thinking to just install fresh on a new ssd, but would like to get past the grey screen.

Thanks in advance for any advice
are you using dual monitor? when i connect both of my monitor, i cannot get past the grey screen, but when i disconnect one(my TV), it was fine, language choosing dialog showed up, and the installation work fine

mine keeps restarting, no luck in installing the update
Are Clover and all of your kexts up to date? Only other thing I can think of is there might be an issue where Clover isn't choosing the correct partition when doing the restarts. I've seen a small subset of people mentioning that this was giving them problems. Maybe try manually choosing the Install partition on each restart

Are Clover and all of your kexts up to date? Only other thing I can think of is there might be an issue where Clover isn't choosing the correct partition when doing the restarts. I've seen a small subset of people mentioning that this was giving them problems. Maybe try manually choosing the Install partition on each restart

Thank you! It worked! It took me some time to work out what people mean by "install to Catalina - Data", I added 5 secs to my boot loader, and found the option at the Clover boot menu, clicked on the "Data" drive and worked!

Successfully updated using Clover 5070.

One caveat is that it boots three times in total and Clover fails to pick up the installation drive in the first two boots, where manual selection is required, probably because of the new change made to separate data drive from system drive in Catalina.

After installation, when it boots for the third time, it is able to select the right drive.

Back