Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15 Catalina is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Thank you for the reply .
how do i install those kexts if i cant get the os to boot? Is it possible that i have the wrong version of clover and thats why i get the black screen of shame?
Think the usb has 4930 and on the drive i booted to another dive and updated the catalina drive via clover conifg
I have an USB stick with Clover 4674 made with UniBeast for Mojave. When you start chose the the stick for boot and then go in Clover to the Catalina start disk. This was my method. Catalina starts, and I could install the kexts.

Works great on my Z77x chip-set boards using the upgrade method from within the Mojave OS (with supported OOB comptible video cards i.e. GTX780/RX470).

Existing Clover 4934 boots installer, finds pre-loader partitions all by itself, and runs through a couple reboots along the way. result at end: full audio function (ALC method inherited fine), full video function, NVME and SSD trim, etc.

sys one: GA-Z77X-UD5H with RX470 (triple monitors via 3 display port connections)
sys two: ASUS P8Z77-M with GTX780

Would you mind sharing your config -serials, whole Clover folder if you don't mind? I have the same setup, few nagging things I've been lazy about fixing the last few updates.

I'm having an issue creating the installer USB. I created the media USB. But, when trying to do the Clover EFI partition, it doesn't come up like it installs it but won't create it.

Anyone got a functional EFI folder for Gigabyte Z390 A WiFi Pro? I can not get it to post after it installed. It always boots to a display off boot.

I'm using XFX Vega 64 and i9-9900K. Anyone have got past this point?

I have a similar system I am looking to upgrade (P55A-UD4P), would you mind posting which Kexts and Patches were required.

Thanks in advance. Hard to believe these old systems can still run the latest Mac OS
I have a similar board. The bare minimum for me was patching the ACPI for Series 5 boards (like yours), otherwise you get instant KPs or disk access problems. See this thread.
At least it worked for me on an old Gigabyte Series 5 board with the latest Catalina public beta, I haven't upgraded to release yet.
I also have Generate C & P states enabled, although you could possibly patch the tables yourself. Otherwise, I don't think I used much extra patches or kexts (other than Lilu & WhateverGreen for GPU & sound). You would probably have to play with some options in Clover though like USB (or patch the DSDT). I am using natively supported PCI USB3 card though and have disabled as much of the non-standard onboard chipsets (like onboard USB3 which used to be Marwell or something on those old boards). Another thing which might be important is System Definition, obviously the old real Mac Pros closest to those old boards are not compatible with Catalina, you would have to fake a newer one, like iMac 14 or something. Try few experiments (offline) which works the best for you (there might be problems if Catalina expects an iGPU with these much more modern definitions, don't know). Can't check what I used as I am not writing from it at the moment.

Last edited:
All fine with the System Preferences Update.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 21.11.40.png

First Dowload the Installer from AppleStore. Compress it in a ZIP file and move it out the Aplications Folder (to BackUp it).
Update Clover to Clover v2.5K_5070
In the EFI volume, \EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.15\ Copy the lastest versions of:
-AppleALC.kext 1.4.2
-Lilu.kext 1.3.8
-WhateverGreen.kext 1.3.3

Change parametes in the USB PATCH.

RESTART!

Now run the Update from the System Preferences -> Software Update.
Boot on every restarts (in my case 3) from the "Boot MacOS Intall from (YourDiskName)" partition until this partition desapears

Done!
Config and enjoy your Update!

Try it with SSDT-EC.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
You sir, you are the real MVP. I copied the SSDT-EC.aml file to the patched directory and boom, I was able to upgrade to Catalina. During the install, I waited at a black screen for close to 20 minutes, even with an NVME drive. I was patient, and I was successfully able to upgrade. Interestingly, my NVME drive is not shown as "generic". I attached a photo for those who would like to see.

Note: I have working Wireless connectivity, Bluetooth, Sound, all the good stuff. No Sidecar though.

Thank you again.

Attachments

• Catalina.png
    Catalina.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 190
  • nvme.png
    nvme.png
    271.6 KB · Views: 192
Going through a lot of pain to upgrade. I get into a reboot loop if I don't add -disablegfxfirmware.
Once I added it, I am getting a pink screen and no audio...

Update without many problems at the moment, I have two teams and I will upload the EFI’s and specifications:

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (2013)
- i7 3770K Overclock 4.5 Ghz
- GTX 780 3GB
- 32 GB ram 1866 Mhz
- TL-WDN4800 N900 WiFi
(To operate the WiFi I followed the trick of this post: [Solved] My Wifi TL-WDN4800 N900 not working after install Mojave
"I was struggling with this for quite a while after installing Catalina over a fully working copy of Mojave.
In the end I deleted IO80211Family.kext and Atheros kexts from both L/E and S/L/E - doing this from my Mojave install as Catalina wouldn't allow the deletion of IO80211Family.kext - then installed just IO80211Family.kext to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other and, hey presto, working wifi!"
)

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77.png

ASUS X556UA (2016)
- i7 6500U Turbo Boost 3.1 Ghz
- Intel HD 520 2048 MB
- 12 GB ram 1600 Mhz
- BCM94352Z WiFi
(Without problems, everything works fine ... even the new function of [Sidecar])

ASUS X556UA.png

Attachments

• ASUS X556UA Catalina.zip
    20 MB · Views: 78
  • ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Catalina.zip
    28.1 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I've got pretty much everything up and running...except audio...anyone have alc1150 working in Catalina ?

Back