Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15 Catalina is Now Available on the Mac App Store

I hope someone can help, I am trying to upgrade to Catalina from Sierra using the Software Update. I have followed the instructions and I’m stuck in the install. I updated Clover, copied the kext flies, downloaded the Catalina installer via the store, and made sure that I selected MacOS Install from Boot. I injected my USB files and then selected boot from my SSD and the progress bar moves about 50% of the way and freezes. It’s been almost 30 mins and it hasn’t moved. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Thanks. I use it mostly for a flight simulator these days and X-Plane is moving to metal only w MacOS 10.15 as the minimum when the update is released. I hate to turn this into a Windows 11 machine, but looks like I have no other options as the cost of a card vs. Windows is a no brainer! Thanks!

(maybe I can make it a dual boot and run windows on 1 SSD and MacOS on the other)

run windows on 1 SSD and MacOS on the other
You could use the Intel UHD graphics for macOS Catalina but not the 1070. You'd have to disable that when booting into macOS.

Thanks for your help. I'll read up on that (I have no idea how to use the Intel UHD graphics). I haven't had the need to do any research etc. since I built this machine in 2017.

If I may ask, if i do decide to go with dual boot is it easier to setup w/opencore or should I stay w/clover? If I get Win10 working on one drive, then I'm happy to stay with Sierra on the MacOS side on this particular machine.

If I may ask, if i do decide to go with dual boot is it easier to setup w/opencore or should I stay w/clover? If I get Win10 working on one drive, then I'm happy to stay with Sierra on the MacOS side on this particular machine.
If you're staying with Sierra then I'd just keep on using Clover. OpenCore is pretty much mandatory for Big Sur and Monterey. If you don't plan on upgrading past Sierra then it's probably not worth all the time and effort to learn OpenCore.

If you're staying with Sierra then I'd just keep on using Clover. OpenCore is pretty much mandatory for Big Sur and Monterey. If you don't plan on upgrading past Sierra then it's probably not worth all the time and effort to learn OpenCore.
Thanks for the advice -- I'm currently trying to get past the "Selected MacOS Installer is incomplete" issue so that I can at least create a new bootable USB

Back