Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15 Catalina is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Motherboard
Gigabyte H97M-D3H
CPU
i5 << need model # only >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
GTX 1660 Ti
I was able to install it completely but i cannot boot to it to save my life. I just get a blank screen.
im running an rx570 which should have native support...
Please help!

also now that ive installed it i cannot even reinstall fresh mojave

I was able to start it with my Mojave install stick - then opened Catalina and installed the following kext: Apple ALC (Audio), Gatatekeeper-RW-SSD (to install clover 5090), Lilu and Whatevergreen. And changed it from iMac 14.2 to iMac Pro 1,1. And starting Catalina was no problem with my rRX 570. Hope it will help.

Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just like a real mac :headbang:
Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 19.52.50.png
Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 20.07.56.png

D

Deleted member 2144268

Many thanks to tonymacx86 website that made this possible :clap:
Smooth update like a real Mac :thumbup:

Motherboard
Mac Pro Late 2013
CPU
6-core Xeon
Graphics
AMD D500 (Dual)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was able to start it with my mojave inastall stick - then opend catalina and install the following kext: Apple ALC (Audio), Gatatekeeper-RW-SSD (to install clover 5090), Lilu and Whatevergreen. And changed it from iMac 14.2 to iMac Pro. And starting Catalina was no problem with my rx570. Hope it will help.
Thank you for the reply .
how do i install those kexts if i cant get the os to boot? Is it possible that i have the wrong version of clover and thats why i get the black screen of shame?
Think the usb has 4930 and on the drive i booted to another dive and updated the catalina drive via clover conifg

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX
CPU
i7-10700KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was able to install it completely but i cannot boot to it to save my life. I just get a blank screen.
im running an rx570 which should have native support...
Please help!

also now that ive installed it i cannot even reinstall fresh mojave
I have the same. Boots fine and just before the login screen it goes black. Did you solve this?

D

Deleted member 2144268

Thank you for the reply .
how do i install those kexts if i cant get the os to boot? Is it possible that i have the wrong version of clover and thats why i get the black screen of shame?
Think the usb has 4930 and on the drive i booted to another dive and updated the catalina drive via clover conifg
my suggestion!!!! try first to update clover (lilu, WEG too) on your USB Installer, then you should able to boot Catalina from the USB :idea:

Motherboard
-
CPU
-
Graphics
-
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated all the kexts, added DSDT patch for EC and ...
Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 21.48.37.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have the same. Boots fine and just before the login screen it goes black. Did you solve this?

Had the same problem when I removed the old kexts from /Library/Extensions. I'm still in 4934 and boot is ok for me. You should maybe check if you have the fakeSMC and other kexts in your /Library/Extensions, using the recovery mode, launching Terminal and doing an ls on /Volumes/[YOUR_SYSTEM_DISK]/Library/Extensions/.

If they are not here, just download them and extract the kexts from the archives and copy them to /Volumes/[YOUR_SYSTEM_DISK]/Library/Extensions/.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270MX Gaming 5
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Direct upgrade from Mojave to Catalina using App Store. No issues so far. Took about 30 minutes total, of which about 20 minutes was just a black screen with HDD activity lights blinking. Patience is the key. Only preparations made were the usual create a bootable backup (I use CCC), update kexts (Lilu, WhateverGreen, AppleALC) using Hackintool. So far so good, no obvious issues as of yet. Thanks again!

EDIT: FYI, Clover version used is 4961

Just noticed something, not sure if this has been discussed, but Clover EFI backups have been moved to the "Relocated Items\Security" folder. Will Clover back up to this location moving forward??