Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15 Catalina: How to Mount Root Partition Read/Write for Post-Installation

I've seen steps outlined elsewhere regarding the use of Disk Utility within terminal to achieve these results, e.g., diskutil unMountdisk /dev/disk*s* (your numbers will be different), and one would use mount -w -t apfs /dev/disk*s* "/[location of your choice]/Macintosh HD/" and/or "/[location of your choice/Macintosh HD - Data/"

For those looking for a non-terminal one-click solution you can also use Hackintool :-
View attachment 428598
You can use the to icons to the right to install kexts to /L/E and manually rebuild kext cache if required.
See the kext guide for more info on installing kexts to /L/E in Catalina ...

Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay,

Say, this is awhile later than post but I am on Big Sur and my Ethernet kext does not load at startup so I have to do this every time. How can I get it to load at startup?

Hi Jay,

Say, this is awhile later than post but I am on Big Sur and my Ethernet kext does not load at startup so I have to do this every time. How can I get it to load at startup?
Most of us will recommend to switch to OpenCore, now: it makes life a lot easier as all kexts are loaded at boot time, you don't have to tinker any more in the system.
The switch seems daunting as you have to study a bit of how OC works, but following carefully Dortania's guides makes it quite easy.

Hi Jay,

@chumdoggin,

As @Nodarkthings states above since moving to OpenCore we no longer install kexts into /L/E.

In-fact it's not recommended at all with BigSur onwards due to MacOS keeping all system files (IE the operating system) in a separate signed read only partition ....

Recommend you take the plunge and migrate to OpenCore, it's a superior Bootloader for MacOS in every way.

Cheers
Jay

I am on OC, would have helped to mention. I still am not sure how to keep the kext loading. I have tried the other options- kext in oc folder but at least it loads in L/E when I do the disable gatekeeper and mount R/W.
About to read up on airportbrcmfixup and get that going.

Are you sure you're doing things correctly in OC?
1) putting your kext in /EFI/OC/Kexts
2) adding the reference to the kext in config.plist
For example, with RealtekRTL8111.kext, it should look like this in PlistEdit Pro:
Capture d’écran 2022-07-03 à 11.32.07.jpg

I think, the easiest way to modify files on the "ready only" volume: You modify them while Carbon Copy Cloner does make a clone at a target disk drive. The "read only" volume at the target disk will be mounted for write. Than you boot from the target and do restore to the original disk.

Back