Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15 Catalina: How to Mount Root Partition Read/Write for Post-Installation

I managed to reproduce the error, in short your System Integrity Protection (SIP) is enabled, so "sudo mount -uw /" won't work. You can check in Terminal by typing: csrutil status

The new process involves 2 steps:

1. What you need to do is to enable the SIP, if you open clover configurator, mount your EFI, open config.plist (is in /EFI/CLOVER/ ), then under Rt Variables: CsrActiveConfig, change it to 0x67 (this will disable SIP), and restart.
- Disable SIP: 0x67
- Enable SIP: 0x00
- mine was originally set to 0x03 (partial)

2. After restarting, go back to terminal, and type: sudo mount -uw /

3. you may want to re-enable SIP after the post-installation.

Hope it helps! :)
It did help. Thanks!

Just a quick post to share how to install Clover and other stuff to a 10.15 Catalina drive. The root partition is read-only by default. To make it read/write, use the following steps.

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal

2. Make the root partition read/write by entering the following:
Code:
sudo mount -uw /

3. Enter your password and hit return.

You will now be able to install Clover, use MultiBeast 11 (Mojave version) for Post-Installation, and install kexts. Be aware that when the system reboots, the command must be entered again. The final Catalina version of MultiBeast will do this automatically.

Hi, thanks for the useful post.

I have upgraded my Mojave install to Catalina 10.15.1 and after that I used your sudo hack to allow MultiBeast (Mojave version) to fix the install (everything worked after the upgrade, EXCEPT for the bloody USB 3 ports... :( ). After rebooting, nothing changed - USB 3 ports not found. Any help on that?

Thanks a lot,

Carlos

Hi, thanks for the useful post.

I have upgraded my Mojave install to Catalina 10.15.1 and after that I used your sudo hack to allow MultiBeast (Mojave version) to fix the install (everything worked after the upgrade, EXCEPT for the bloody USB 3 ports... :( ). After rebooting, nothing changed - USB 3 ports not found. Any help on that?

Thanks a lot,

Carlos

see these posts, they helped me to set correctly the USB3 in my system.

macOS Catalina 10.15.0 - USB Port-Limit Removal Patch

A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT

I wonder if I could do this via terminal in Recovery partition. The reason why I am asking is because when I updated to Catalina, I could see Boot MacOS to Sierra with Data, Boot MacOS to Sierra, Recovery, and Install MacOS with 10.15 Catalina. I already installed Catalina twice, and also installed via Recovery. When I tried to boot into the drive named "sierra" - (I know it's dumb but i"m stuck with that name). It won't load up - only enters a black screen after verbose logging in was completed. Any ideas?

It seems it doesn't work anymore
"spctl --master-disable
mount -uw /
mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Operation not permitted
mount: / failed with 77
killall Finder"

It seems it doesn't work anymore
"spctl --master-disable
mount -uw /
mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Operation not permitted
mount: / failed with 77
killall Finder"

Make sure SIP is disabled for
Code:
mount -uw /
to work.

Awesome. It works after disabled SIP. Thx Guys :)

Back