Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15 Catalina: How to Mount Root Partition Read/Write for Post-Installation

Motherboard
HP EliteBook 2560P
CPU
i5-2520M
Graphics
HD3000 (1366x768)
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I've seen steps outlined elsewhere regarding the use of Disk Utility within terminal to achieve these results, e.g., diskutil unMountdisk /dev/disk*s* (your numbers will be different), and one would use mount -w -t apfs /dev/disk*s* "/[location of your choice]/Macintosh HD/" and/or "/[location of your choice/Macintosh HD - Data/"

Motherboard
asus z170-k
CPU
i5-6400
Graphics
HD530/GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
For those looking for a non-terminal one-click solution you can also use Hackintool :-
View attachment 428598
You can use the to icons to the right to install kexts to /L/E and manually rebuild kext cache if required.
See the kext guide for more info on installing kexts to /L/E in Catalina ...

Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay,

Say, this is awhile later than post but I am on Big Sur and my Ethernet kext does not load at startup so I have to do this every time. How can I get it to load at startup?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Jay,

Say, this is awhile later than post but I am on Big Sur and my Ethernet kext does not load at startup so I have to do this every time. How can I get it to load at startup?
Most of us will recommend to switch to OpenCore, now: it makes life a lot easier as all kexts are loaded at boot time, you don't have to tinker any more in the system.
The switch seems daunting as you have to study a bit of how OC works, but following carefully Dortania's guides makes it quite easy.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Jay,

@chumdoggin,

As @Nodarkthings states above since moving to OpenCore we no longer install kexts into /L/E.

In-fact it's not recommended at all with BigSur onwards due to MacOS keeping all system files (IE the operating system) in a separate signed read only partition ....

Recommend you take the plunge and migrate to OpenCore, it's a superior Bootloader for MacOS in every way.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
asus z170-k
CPU
i5-6400
Graphics
HD530/GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I am on OC, would have helped to mention. I still am not sure how to keep the kext loading. I have tried the other options- kext in oc folder but at least it loads in L/E when I do the disable gatekeeper and mount R/W.
About to read up on airportbrcmfixup and get that going.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Are you sure you're doing things correctly in OC?
1) putting your kext in /EFI/OC/Kexts
2) adding the reference to the kext in config.plist
For example, with RealtekRTL8111.kext, it should look like this in PlistEdit Pro:
Capture d’écran 2022-07-03 à 11.32.07.jpg