Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15.7 Supplemental Update

With CLOVER 5122, I was not able to update my HackPro5,1 with the Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update (at the time of this post, there's not a full installer for the update). The update appears to start correctly, but CLOVER r5122 (Legacy) would not see the macOS Installer after reboot.

I created a legacy (not UEFI) OC 0.6.3 config (my very first OC configuration) and the supplemental update worked smoothly. I'm still running with SMBIOS MacPro5,1 and boot-arg -no_compat_check for native Nehalem CPU and USB power management. I temporarily set my SMBIOS to MacPro6,1 so that my rig automatically prompted for the update. After the update was complete (after the second reboot), I switched back to MacPro5,1.

I may be an OC convert after all.

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 3.22.16 PM.png

As r5122 is the last version without OpenCore embedded. This should be known by more people.
I wish I knew prior to upgrade. My hackintosh has been running so stable that I seldom check for any updates to Clover or other software. I only bother if there is a macOS update, even then for past several updates prior to last one, it has been pretty much scripted - upgrade Clover, update Lilu, AppleALC, WhateverGreen, update macOS. I will be more careful from now on.

I wish I knew prior to upgrade. My hackintosh has been running so stable that I seldom check for any updates to Clover or other software. I only bother if there is a macOS update, even then for past several updates prior to last one, it has been pretty much scripted - upgrade Clover, update Lilu, AppleALC, WhateverGreen, update macOS. I will be more careful from now on.
when updating a bootloader, (even kexts for that matter) it is always best to read the readme to see what changes have been made and whether you need to make any adjustments to your current setup

FWIW I try to wait a week or two (even three) so I can check comments for common problems. That's easier said than done - for some reason, the notification on the system preferences bugs me :)

But it can take a handful of pages (or more) of comments before you can spot any patterns. I especially look for problems people are having with specific Clover revision numbers. I'm still on 5119, thanks to the feedback and troubleshooting others shared.

P.S. I also make a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my boot drive, complete with the last working EFI version. It's a bit of a luxury to have a spare drive for a 1:1 backup, but it's been a lifesaver with Hackintoshing. Highly recommend it to those who can manage the cost.

Successful update via Sofware Update on OpenCore 0.6.3
About 15 Minutes and 3 Restarts
About_This_Mac_and_macOS_10_15_7_Supplemental_Update___tonymacx86_com.png

I had boot issues with Clover r5126, reverted to r5122 and the install went well.

I switched to OC since 061, I think my system now is pretty solid using OC. Now on 063 update through Software Update
Thanks to Clover that has served very well on my system for a long time.
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 18.15.43.jpg

X79 updated and kickin!!
Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 7.59.33 PM.png

cheers!

Update with Clover 5122 was very easy on all computers. Testing to update with OpenCore 6.2 did NOT work on a NUC8i3 (the one witch M.2 disc only) it ended with a disc image error -69736. Perhaps that is a SIP error? Please let me know if you know about it, thanks. Before update I also updated ALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen and VirtualSMC on all machines.
No not an SIP error, probably an bad download. Starting over again on the NUC8i3 and after updating to OpenCore 0.6.3 all went very well.

Back