Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15.6 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very easy update in only 1 reboot.

EDIT: I hope there won't be any Supplemental Update this time.

Attachments

• 10156.png
    10156.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 84
Well in my case the update from 10.15.4 to 10.15.6 wasn't easy.

My current Hardware:
  • Mainboard: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 512GB Samsung 850 Pro (M.2 NVMe)
  • Intel Core i5-7600k
  • MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB OC
  • Two LG 4K Displays connected via DisplayPort

Steps I did before I tried the update for the first time:
  1. Made multiple Time Maschine Backups on different HDDs. (as always)
  2. Updated everything with Multibeast 12.3.0
  3. Updated Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext. in /EFI/.../Clover/kexts/other/
  4. Made sure that no old "Hackintosh" Kexts were in /Library/Extensions/
  5. Restarted my Computer to make sure that everything still worked as expected
  6. I removed all unnecessary internal & external Drives so that just my main M.2 SDD was installed.
Then I startet the Update... It look like the update was installing, no errors... nothing! But after a while my computer rebooted right back into MacOS 10.15.4 (without giving me an error message).

So I startet the Update again & made sure that my Hackintosh booted from the right "boot drive" with the name similar to "[...] install ...". No luck! First I tried just changing the EFI/BIOS settings called "Initial Graphic Adapter" to "IGD" & used my Onboard HDMI Output but I had the same behavior.

The solution:
  • I had to remove my "MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB OC" Graphics Card completely from my system & manually select the right "boot drive". After that the update installed properly. After the first boot into MacOS the colors looked funny (a lot was inverted, but not everything).
  • After the successful update I installed my "MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB OC". I had to change the UEFI/BIOS settings called "Initial Graphic Adapter" back to "PEG". After that my system was behaving normally.
Geekbench 4 Scores after the update:

• CPU: 5940 (SC), 18042 (MC)
  • Compute: 126154

Last edited:
Done! nothing to do, just update.

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2020-07-18 às 15.43.20.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-07-18 às 15.43.20.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 73
Updated Lilu, WhateverGreen and AppleALC kexts and started update from update file.
22 minutes later system is updated. Smooth, no problems at all.
Screenshot 2020-07-18 at 10.04.29 PM.png

I use the Opencore boot loader, and I had the auto-update checked on my machine. It updated overnight while I slept. This morning all is we'll. :)

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 17.18.35.png
Easy!

I ever restart the machine for check its all fine before run the update and have the system clean, after that Run the update from the System Preferences, boot from the MacOS Install Volume everytime until this volume desapears (2 times as usual in my case).

On the Restart boot from "#yourMacOSVolumeName" and like your iPhone or iPad starts with a Black Screen with the apple on the center and a fine progress bar below. With the 9 remaning minutes process starts all fine!

Thats all!

Update went smooth in ca. 20 minutes. Clover also did everything right this time, I did not had to choose the macOS Volume after update was done.

Thanks Tony!! Updated without problems.
Captura de Tela 0002-07-19 às 11.03.38.png

When I attempted to download the 10.15.6 Install Catalina app using Software Update on my 2018 Mac mini running Mojave 10.14.6, every time the download finished I was greeted with the error "The update could not be verified" and the app was nowhere to be seen. I tried several times with the same result (with reboots in between).

I did not have the same problem when I downloaded the 10.15.5 Install Catalina app on the same machine before. I have no idea what was causing the issue. I wonder if anyone else had encountered the same problem.

Finally I used an older 2012 Mac mini running High Sierra 10.13.6 and this time I was able to download the app without trouble. The download was slow as that old machine is using WiFi to connect to the internet but download it did.

And then I remembered something called gibMacOS and I realized I should have used that instead of the error-prone Mac App Store. Really frustrated that I wasted so much time and bandwidth on this app!

Updating the Z270 I had the BIOS reset on first reboot, other than that all went well and the machine is running flawlessly. The Z390 I have given up on, it ran Mojave and even High Sierra really well but never was really stable on Catalina, so now it's dual-booting Linux Mint and Windows instead :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back