HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Today Apple released macOS 10.15.6 Update, a major software update to macOS Catalina. Update any supported system using the built-in Software Update functionality through the System Preferences pane or by using the standalone installer available from Apple.com.

Download the macOS 10.15.6 Update
Download the macOS 10.15.6 Combo Update
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 6.31.15 PM.png
What we know about the 10.15.6 Update so far...
  • macOS Build 19G73​
  • Updated Intel and AMD graphics drivers
  • Updated audio drivers- established users of Catalina with AppleALC or VoodooHDA should not need to update.
  • Install macOS Catalina App has been updated - If you downloaded macOS Catalina from the App Store prior to today, and you want to have the latest version on your backup installer USB, simply log into the Mac App Store and click Download. The updated Install macOS Catalina App can be found in the Applications folder.​
macOS Catalina 10.15.6 introduces local news in your Today feed in Apple News and improves the security and reliability of your Mac.

Apple News
  • Local news in your Today feed provides extensive coverage of San Francisco, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Houston, and New York City
  • More stories available from local news providers with a subscription to Apple News+
  • Your daily newsletter from Apple News can now be personalized with stories that reflect your interests
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
  • Adds a new option to optimize video streaming on HDR-compatible Mac notebooks for improved battery life
  • Fixes an issue where the computer name may change after installing a software update
  • Resolves an issue where certain USB mouse and trackpads may lose connection
Enterprise content:
  • When using the built-in keyboard with a non-U.S. keyboard layout on some Mac models, passwords with certain characters are no longer rejected at the Mac login window
  • Allows command-line tools that don't use CFNetwork, such as curl(1), to continue connecting to TLS servers that use certificates issued by the recently expired AddTrust External CA Root
  • Major new releases of macOS can be hidden when using the softwareupdate(8) command with the --ignore flag, if the Mac is enrolled in Apple School Manager, Apple Business Manager, or a user-approved MDM.
    This change also affects macOS Mojave and macOS High Sierra after installing Security Update 2020-004.

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices. For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT210642 For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Testing is now underway- this post will be updated. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! Report your results here.

Related:
macOS 10.15.5 Update
macOS 10.15.5 Supplemental Update
macOS 10.15.4 Supplemental Update
macOS 10.15.4 Update
macOS 10.15.3 Update
macOS 10.15.2 Update
macOS 10.15.1 Update
macOS 10.15.0 Supplemental Update
macOS 10.15 Catalina is Now Available on the Mac App Store
Update Directly to macOS Catalina
macOS 10.15 Catalina: How to Mount Root Partition Read/Write for Post-Installation
How to Create a macOS Catalina Public Beta Installation USB
tonymacx86 Clover Theme (Updated for Catalina)
Introducing the macOS Catalina Critter!
Catalina Desktop Support
Catalina Desktop Guides
Catalina Laptop Support
Catalina Laptop Guides
macOS Catalina Public Beta is Now Available
Apple Reveals macOS 10.15 Catalina - Available Fall 2019

Last edited:
Please post help requests in the Catalina Desktop Support Forum section (not in this thread).

Pre Update Notes
:
- This update may break some of your Catalina functions, like audio. Make sure you backup first. :thumbup:

- Make sure you use the latest versions of the Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext. They will be in the latest release of MultiBeast.

Here's the step by step way to update:
:ch:Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;

:ch: Update to the latest Clover
See the tonymacx86 Clover Builds (in Download menu) to update Clover.

:ch: In February 2020, Apple "clamped down" on non Apple approved kexts. So, update Lilu, WhatEverGreen and AppleALC, placing them in your /EFI/.../Clover/kexts/other/. Remove these kexts from the /Library/Extensions/ folder. See tonymacx86's thread:

References:
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/technotes/tn2459/_index.html

:ch: If you are updating from 10.15.5, then you don't need to apply any new Port Limit Removal Patches. If you are updating from macOS before Catalina, apply any 10.15.0 Port Limit Removal Patches. Better yet, if you have created a SSDT-USB, then you're all set.

:ch: Download the Catalina 10.15.6 Update in Post #1 or the update from Apple's Mac App Store and run it - the updater will reboot upon completion.
Note: Update will reboot several times; each time Clover picks the correct boot partition. So, sit back and relax. The update takes 25-30 minutes to complete.

You do need to watch that you boot from the correct disk after each restart (The one with 'Install' in the title) as the system seems to default to anything but the right one.

:ch: Done! So far, another easy update! :thumbup:

Please post help requests in the Catalina Desktop Support Forum section (not in this thread).
Post #1 will be updated as new information becomes available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated my rig to Mac OS 10.15.6, no problems.

1. Went to "About this Mac...", then selected "Software Update." There was an update available, so I selected "Update". It began downloading. After it was finished, it informed me to restart. I hit restart, and the display switched to the Apple logo on black background with the progress bar. This was about 2 min

2. The system restarted, then put me into the OpenCore boot disk selector. The default was "macOS Installer" which I chose. This went into the Apple logo and progress bar. After a little wait, the display switched to my secondary screen, with an "Estimated time remaining..." message. Then it restarted. This lasted ~ 6 min.

3. After the restart, again at the OpenCore boot disk selector, the default was "macOS Installer" and I chose this. Apple logo and progress bar. After 2 min, the display switched screens and the progress bar was about half way, with "About 30 minutes remaining." The time counted down, and there was rapid disk activity. After about 7 minutes, it restarted.

4. Arrived at the OpenCore boot disk selector, and it defaulted to my system drive. Selected this, and it brought up the Apple logo and progress bar. Disk activity. Switched to my secondary monitor. Switched to my primary monitor, then "About 10 minutes remaining..." After about 10 minutes, I ended up at the login screen! All done.

Updated from Catalina 10.15.5 right to 10.15.6 without any problems..
1. Using Clover Configurator ver. 5.14.0.0
2. Did not update Lilu, WhatEverGreen or AppleALC
3. Updated to 10.15.6 (19G73) from App Store.
4. Choose download and restart option.
5. The 1st restart took 1min , then screen flashed progress bar advanced 1/3 then restarted.
6. the 2nd restart took 3min, then screen flashed progress bar advanced 1/2 then restarted
7. The 3rd boot stated 43min to complete. ( Took about about 10 mins )
8. After 15 - 20 mins the 4th boot stated 10mins to complete. ( Be patient took every min. )
9. After 10 mins the 5th booted quickly into 10.15.6...

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 2.49.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 2.48.39 PM.png

NOTE: Boots 1,2 and 3 need to boot from the correct disk ( Install ) after each restart.
Used Clover r5107 with no issues.

Last edited:
Updated my rig to Mac OS 10.15.6, no problems.

1. Went to "About this Mac...", then selected "Software Update." There was an update available, so I selected "Update". It began downloading. After it was finished, it informed me to restart. I hit restart, and the display switched to the Apple logo on black background with the progress bar. This was about 2 min

2. The system restarted, then put me into the OpenCore boot disk selector. The default was "macOS Installer" which I chose. This went into the Apple logo and progress bar. After a little wait, the display switched to my secondary screen, with an "Estimated time remaining..." message. Then it restarted. This lasted ~ 6 min.

3. After the restart, again at the OpenCore boot disk selector, the default was "macOS Installer" and I chose this. Apple logo and progress bar. After 2 min, the display switched screens and the progress bar was about half way, with "About 30 minutes remaining." The time counted down, and there was rapid disk activity. After about 7 minutes, it restarted.

4. Arrived at the OpenCore boot disk selector, and it defaulted to my system drive. Selected this, and it brought up the Apple logo and progress bar. Disk activity. Switched to my secondary monitor. Switched to my primary monitor, then "About 10 minutes remaining..." After about 10 minutes, I ended up at the login screen! All done.

My rig was taken through the same steps, it was a different way to update but without any problem.

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 17.13.47.png

Well, okay, went ahead and did it. Seems fine. But this release is not where I'm focused......Big Bird, uh Big something like that or other.....that's where I'm focused.

Today Apple released macOS 10.15.6 Update, a major software update to macOS Catalina.

Thanks Tony! No trouble here. Updated Lilu and WEG first.
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 11.49.07 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back