Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15.6 Supplemental Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
The update went well. Two reboots and the system was up to date.
But a little bit later the system became unstable and crashed. I look into the config.plist and found the boot args "lilubetaall" and "alcbeta". I removed both, rebooted and the crashes are gone.

Last edited:
When I attempted to update to the Supplemental Update using the downloaded file from Apple on my Kaby system, the system suffered numerous reboots during the installation and ultimately did not succeed.

I then cloned a Catalina 10.15.6 installation onto a blank hard disk and tried to install the SU on an old system using a B75 motherboard. On that system the installation process went smoothly and the update was successfully installed.

I then cloned the updated installation back to my main Z390 system (and unlocked the MSR register using CaseySJ's USB stick method on the way) and the updated system was able to boot successfully on my main system.

So now I have MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.6 (with SU) on my Z390 system.

I shall clone the installation onto my Z370 system later and see if Catalina is able to boot on that.

Edit : I use Clover 5119 and not OpenCore.

Last edited:
Smooth update with 4 reboots, Clover 5118.
Update.jpg

Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 18.32.38.png

Updated all kexts, on OC 0.6.0, no issues so far.

Downloading and installing this on my Clover based Optiplex 7020 w/GTX 760. I'll report back when it installs.

Update: Installed No issues on my OptiHack 7020 Mid Tower, 3 reboots and about 25 minutes is all it took.

Last edited by a moderator:
It happens to me doing the update via App Store or stand alone version of update. That's the first time it happens on my z370 Aorus gaming 5 system. Does anybody has any clue to fix this? Thanks.
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 1.17.59 PM.png

Well, that was fun. Unlike any update recently, I couldn't use Software Update in System Preferences or the stand-alone Supplemental Update or Combo installers to update from 10.15.6. It seemed to install, but without the expected "Install macOS on yourdisk - Data" option in Clover menu (5119). One way or another, I also proved the value of my clone, to erase the disk and restore after the failed updates made it run like molasses. Clearly, something was missing, or recent hardware, software or UEFI changes affected the update. So I used the procedure #4 here to make a new USB installer, or you can use the latest UniBeast as well. I downloaded the full 10.15.6 Installer from Apple. As of an hour ago it appears the full installer does not have the Supplemental Update included, but I "upgraded" the system to a clean 10.15.6. Then Software Update in System Preferences worked as it should for the update, showing the Install macOS on Disk - Data volume and going through the necessary restarts.

Last edited:
Anyone else get garbled audio after the update? TBH, I did update AppleALC before, so maybe that's the issue?
Edit: Yup, the new AppleALC.kext is broken! Reverted to last version and all is good!

WARNING! After a little more testing with the latest AppleALC.kext (downloaded using CC, Hackintool, and manual from GitHub) with my ALC1200 codec sound is garbled because when a sound is played the CPU goes balls out and the whole system becomes sluggish. It seems the Kext is hogging resources!?!? It is common practice for users to update Lilu, Whatevergreen (both updated kexts work fine), and AppleALC with each System update to play things safe so beware. Things may be ok with other codecs, but as it stands (on my system) the latest version of the AppleALC.kext is broken.

Last edited:
Smooth update, no issues. Clover 5118.

1597467797614.png

1597467682300.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back