HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Today Apple released macOS 10.15.4 Update, a major software update to macOS Catalina. Update any supported system using the built-in Software Update functionality through the System Preferences pane or by using the standalone installer available from Apple.com.
What we know about the 10.15.4 Update so far...
  • macOS Build 19E266
  • Updated Intel and AMD graphics drivers
    • Intel HD 6xx users may need to enter -disablegfxfirmware boot flag.
  • Updated audio drivers- established users of Catalina with AppleALC or VoodooHDA should not need to update.
  • Users of 100/200/300 Series systems need to update Clover to r5107+ using MultiBeast 12.1.0 before installing update.
  • Install macOS Catalina App has been updated - If you downloaded macOS Catalina from the App Store prior to today, and you want to have the latest version on your backup installer USB, simply log into the Mac App Store and click Download. The updated Install macOS Catalina App can be found in the Applications folder.
macOS Catalina 10.15.4 introduces iCloud Drive folder sharing, Screen Time communications limits, Apple Music time-synced lyrics view, and more. The update also improves the stability, reliability, and security of your Mac.

Finder​
- iCloud Drive folder sharing from Finder​
- Controls to limit access only to people you explicitly invite or grant access to anyone with the folder link​
- Permissions to choose who can make changes and upload files and who can only view and download files​
Screen Time​
- Communication limits for controlling who your children can communicate with and be contacted by throughout the day and during downtime​
- Playback control of music videos for your children​
Music​
- Time-synced lyrics view for Apple Music, including the ability to jump to your favorite part of a song by clicking a line in lyrics view​
Safari​
- Option to import Chrome passwords into your iCloud Keychain for easy AutoFill of your passwords in Safari and across all your devices​
- Controls for duplicating a tab and for closing all tabs to the right of the current tab​
- HDR playback support on compatible computers for Netflix content​
App Store with Apple Arcade​
- Universal Purchase support enables the use of a singular purchase of a participating app across iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV​
- Recently played Arcade games appear in the Arcade tab so you can continue playing on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV​
Pro Display XDR​
- Customized reference modes that you can tailor to specific workflow needs by selecting from several color gamut, white point, luminance, and transfer function options​
Accessibility​
- Head pointer preference for moving a cursor on the screen based on the precise movements of your head​
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.​
- High Dynamic Range output to HDR10-compatible third-party displays and TVs connected with DisplayPort or HDMI​
- OAuth authentication support with Outlook.com accounts for improved security​
- CalDav migration support when upgrading to iCloud reminders on a secondary device​
- Resolves an issue where text copied between apps may appear invisible when Dark Mode is active​
- Fixes an issue in Safari where a CAPTCHA tile may display incorrectly​
- Resolves an issue where Reminders may send notifications for completed reminders​
- Fixes an issue with screen brightness for the LG UltraFine 5K display after waking from sleep​

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices. For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT210642

For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT20122

Testing is now underway- this post will be updated. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! Report your results here.

Related:
macOS 10.15.3 Update
macOS 10.15.2 Update
macOS 10.15.1 Update
macOS 10.15.0 Supplemental Update
macOS 10.15 Catalina is Now Available on the Mac App Store
Update Directly to macOS Catalina
macOS 10.15 Catalina: How to Mount Root Partition Read/Write for Post-Installation
How to Create a macOS Catalina Public Beta Installation USB
tonymacx86 Clover Theme (Updated for Catalina)
Introducing the macOS Catalina Critter!
Catalina Desktop Support
Catalina Desktop Guides
Catalina Laptop Support
Catalina Laptop Guides
macOS Catalina Public Beta is Now Available
Apple Reveals macOS 10.15 Catalina - Available Fall 2019

Last edited:
Please post help requests in the Catalina Desktop Support Forum section (not in this thread).

Pre Update Notes
:
- This update may break some of your Catalina functions, like audio. Make sure you backup first. :thumbup:

- Make sure you use the latest versions of the Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext. They will be in the Downloads > Kexts area.

Here's the step by step way to update:
:ch:Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner (see the link above to CaseySJ's script) or SuperDuper;

:ch: Update to the latest Clover
See the tonymacx86 Clover Builds (in Download menu) to update Clover.

:ch: In February 2020, Apple "clamped down" on non Apple approved kexts. So, update Lilu, WhatEverGreen and AppleALC, placing them in your /EFI/.../Clover/kexts/other/. Remove these kexts from the /Library/Extensions/ folder.

See tonymacx86's thread:

References:
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/technotes/tn2459/_index.html

:ch: If you are updating from 10.15.3, then you don't need to apply any new Port Limit Removal Patches. If you are updating from macOS before Catalina, apply any 10.15.0 Port Limit Removal Patches. Better yet, if you have created a SSDT-USB, then you're all set.

:ch: Download the Catalina 10.15.4 Update in Post #1 or the update from Apple's Mac App Store and run it - the updater will reboot upon completion.
Note: Update will reboot several times; each time Clover picks the correct boot partition. So, sit back and relax. The update takes 25-30 minutes to complete.

You do need to watch that you boot from the correct disk after each restart (The one with 'Install' in the title) as the system seems to default to anything but the right one.

ch: Done! So far, another easy update! :thumbup:

Please post help requests in the Catalina Desktop Support Forum section (not in this thread).

Last edited:
Two reboots and ~25 minutes for me...

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 2.34.33 PM.png

Update:
HDMI audio seems to be causing kernel panics for me when waking from sleep. I will disable WhateverGreen for now.

Last edited:
Smooth as well on my 3 hacks :)

All seems fine and buttery on OpenCore 0.5.7

one of my simplest updates for a long time - I suspect that whole time I went through contortions to not just put all my kexts in /CLOVER/kexts/Other it was indeed as pointless as I worried it was

anyway I'm probably seeing things but I can swear... teh snappy ...

<opens Music.rapp>

aww, I'm kidding Music.app. But I've done a decade thinking "the next update will sort iTunes' performance"... so forgive my skepticism

Today Apple released macOS 10.15.4 Update, a major software update to macOS Catalina. Update any supported system using the built-in Software Update functionality through the System Preferences pane or by using the standalone installer available from Apple.com.

Thanks Tony, I had a smooth update here. I updated Clover and kexts first.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 7.55.11 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back