Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15.3 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without Lilu + VirutualSMC (or FakeSMC) in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other it will be impossible to boot any of the following:-
  • Installer
  • Updater
  • Recovery
You can leave all your 3rd party kexts in /L/E .. as long as you have "Inject Kexts" set to "detect" in the system parameters section of your config.plist then Clover will only inject Lilu + VirutualSMC when booting any of the above, and will leave MacOs to load your 3rd party kexts from /L/E when booting MacOS.
I could have sworn I'd accomplished an 'update' without those in Clover, but ... I must be wrong. Again, Really useful to finally realize that. Thanks!

1. Is WEG not needed or desirable for Installation or Updater? Or is the plan to try it without first, then add if needed?

2. I've never tried VirtualSMC, is that now preferable to FakeSMC?

1. Is WEG not needed or desirable for Installation or Updater? Or is the plan to try it without first, then add if needed?

@exquirentibus,

Like most things in the Hackintosh world it depends on the your systems hardware configuration, many systems will happy boot the Installer and Updater without WEG in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other as they use the VESA driver baked into the VBIOS. Try without first .. then add if needed.

2. I've never tried VirtualSMC, is that now preferable to FakeSMC?

Whilst FakeSMC still works on just about every system, it's core code has not been updated in a very long time, VirualSMC uses a brand new SMC emulation engine that offers some advantages over FakeSMC however it currently lacks some of the PC monitoring sensors such as Fans and PSU voltages.

However with each new release VirtualSMC is being adopted by more and more users and will eventually become the standard for SMC emulation on a Hackintosh system.

Lilu and It's plug-in's have pretty much transformed how we go about running MacOS on a PC and VirtualSMC being a Lilu Plug-in is just another part of that toolbox.

Cheers
Jay

The referred link conflicts with the second post of this thread.

@Bustycat,

See this post for my thought's on that.

Cheers
Jay

MacOS 10.15.3 no serial.png

Worked for me. Time consuming but straightforward with no problems (just remember to update your kexts FIRST) :)
  • Made backups with Carbon Copy Cloner
  • Updated kexts to /EFI/.../Clover/kexts/other/
    • AppleALC, Lilu, and WEG each had 1 or 2 version changes since the last update.
  • Updated via the System Preferences.
  • Time: about 27 minuteswith ~4 reboots, not counting the first.
    • Had to manually select "Install" directory in the Clover Bootloader for at least one of the reboots.
Sound works. So far all appears to be working correctly. (I'll edit this if anything goes wrong)

Thank you to the moderators for the easy-to-follow guidelines and to everyone sharing how their updates went.

E7986EEF-AB7D-4AAA-B4A6-61A63FF065B1_1_105_c.jpeg

lol bingo~

Another smooth update.
Removed all hackintosh kext from /L/E folder and put it in EFI/clover/kext/others folder.
Updated Clover, AppleALC, Lilu and Whatevergreen.
Thanks tonymacx86.

Whilst FakeSMC still works on just about every system, it's core code has not been updated in a very long time, VirualSMC uses a brand new SMC emulation engine that offers some advantages over FakeSMC however it currently lacks some of the PC monitoring sensors such as Fans and PSU voltages.

However with each new release VirtualSMC is being adopted by more and more users and will eventually become the standard for SMC emulation on a Hackintosh system.

Lilu and It's plug-in's have pretty much transformed how we go about running MacOS on a PC and VirtualSMC being a Lilu Plug-in is just another part of that toolbox.
I just re-read your first post in your excellent [GUIDE] Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina thread where it outlines "5. How does Clover know to Inject kexts or Not ? "

It mentions that Clover uses FakeSMC to determine whether to inject ANY kexts.

Will the 'current' 5104 release of Clover on CloverHackyColor / CloverBootloader also use VirtualSMC when determining whether to inject any kexts? I'm guessing it would, but ... that might be useful to outline in that section of your thread?

Will the 'current' 5104 release of Clover on CloverHackyColor / CloverBootloader also use VirtualSMC when determining whether to inject any kexts? I'm guessing it would, but ... that might be useful to outline in that section of your thread?

@exquirentibus,

VirtualSMC is covered in the very first paragraph of the guide (just below the MacOS versions) :-

Kext install guide said:
Note: If you are using VirtualSMC in place of FakeSMC then you should replace all instances of FakeSMC mentioned in this guide with the Lilu and VirtualSMC kexts, some users have reported that it is necessary to use LiluFriend to load VirtualSMC early enough in the boot process - see posts #7 to #13 for more info.

Cheers
Jay

It works but I needed to reboot from Install macOS Catalina External Disk, then from Install Preboot, Reboot from Install macOs Catalina disk and then it updates from Catalina Disk.
Many Thanks tonymacx86.
Schermata 2020-03-01 alle 09.33.31.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back