Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15.2 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated my machine straight from 10.14.6 to 10.15.2 (I don't like to risk and upgrade to the first 1-2 new versions...)

Updated Clover and kexts, everything is fine here.
Which version of Clover did you use? The 4961 build from the Download section?

Updated AppleAlc to 1.4.4
Lilu to 1.4.0
WEG to 1.3.5
Clover still version4.6 ( I tried to install 2.5 - 5098 but my sister hang during bontà so I rolled back to 4.6)
Upgrade made through system update.
The only issue was that I needed to select manually the right boot partition but I think that this could be a limit of the old Clover version
System seems more stable than in version 10.15

Smooth update through System Preferences.

Updated the following, two reboots, approx. 30 min.

Clover - 5100
AppleALC - 1.4.4
Lilu - 1.4.0
WhatEverGreen - 1.3.5

Super smooth update.
Clover - 5100
AppleALC - 1.4.4
Lilu - 1.4.0
WhatEverGreen - 1.3.5

Updated via System Prefs.

Selected install macOS in boot screen.
Wait 15 min.

I think the machine is a bit snappier.

SideCar still pixilated and jerky.

Screenshot at Dec 31 00-58-15.png

After wasting time........no tinkering :D I finally got this working.
I only modified the iMac version as you can't use a RX 5700 XT on a iMac 14,1 apparently.

Also it is annoying the drop of 32bit support but I would rather just run these on an older Mac. Like my old iMac with only support for El Captain.

I am currently using a USB headset but will probably need to install LILU and a sound kext at some stage. I did not install whatevergreen but it does look promising for some builds.

All my previous builds were mostly on Gigabyte and Asrock Boards seem to work best with minimal fuss.

Everything else works out of the box. I finally worked out to install the latest Clover to BIOS first then reinstall to UEFI EFI with APFS. Then it worked. It would not work any other way with this board just in case anyone else tries this one. I'm using Clover v2.5K r5101.

Motherboard Asrock H81M-HDS (Very basic Motherboard) No UEFI selection in BIOS. Only in Boot menu. :banghead:
It eventually finds the EFI partition without interaction with above Clover install method.

i7-4770
HP RAM 16GB (2x8)
Western Digital 1TB SSD
MSI RX 5700 XT MECH 8GB

I originally purchased the 5700xt to go with my W10 computer, but it was worse than my GTX1080. So here it is :crazy: Also yes it does throttle with this board and CPU but it's only a tinker toy not a main rig so the parts will most likely end up elsewhere :lol:

Normally I would just use Windows or Linux these days but I thought I needed something to do.....

Thank You for keeping this site updated and all the hard work you do here at tonymacx86 dot com. :thumbup:

UPDATE: So I finally worked out that mbr with ss with clover from the source forge clover page that is in a post here on the main page works with APFS on this board without the need for UEFI. Also Vanilla made usb made with terminal works on this board. Unibeast is awesome for some boards but sometimes different methods work and others don't. So I put a RX570 in this and found that with file vault tuned on I got a black screen. Loaded with Intel graphics turned File Vault off and switched to RX570 card and it worked natively no issues. I really miss my 32bit games in my game stores so I did do a fresh install of MOJAVE and again turned off File Vault to get the RX570 graphics working without a black screen. I did not use LILO,WEG and the only KEXT I used was the 8111 v2 to get ethernet. Hope this helps out someone.

CHEERS
1578997807574.png

Last edited:
I have just updated successfully to 10.15.2. This follows a frustrating period since Catalina came out when I kept getting a black screen with any Catalina version, even with the latest Lilu and WEG.

I suspected kext issues, and read Installing 3rd Party Kexts - El Capitan, etc., by @jaymonkey. I reviewed and got rid the kexts in /L/E and EFI, and then kept just the latest version of FakeSMC and my Internet kext in Clover/Kexts/other/ and used Hackintool to install AirportBrcmFixup, AppleALC, FakeSMC and sensor kexts, Ethernet kext, Lilu and WEG in /L/E. Then I used his An Idiot's Guide to Lilu and its Plugins and Hackintool (as described in the guide) to configure WEG and patch my config.plist for my IGPU and AppleALC. I also found in https://floppyblog.com/common-problems-and-workarounds-in-hackintosh/ that some systems name their ACPI EC in ways that Catalina doesn't understand, and that causes a black screen. I followed that and similar posts to generate an SSDT-EC.aml that gives a Fake EC patch.

To cut a long story short, after all that my display at boot time no longer shows a bunch of 2-3cm purple lines during the beginning of the boot sequence, & everything in Mojave works perfectly. Finally, I tried upgrading to 10.15.1 and it also worked perfectly. During the installation, after the first restart the screen was blank for long periods. and that continued till the final reboot into Catalina. My guess is that during install the EC patch isn't effective but it does its job when the install is complete. I have since upgraded to 10.15.2 with no issues. Anyway, I'm a convert to using /L/E instead of Clover for most kexts, and Hackintool is a very comprehensive tool. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it. I'm very grateful to @jaymonkey for detailed guides that are really easy to understand.

Last edited:
No issues here

I'm a convert to using /L/E instead of Clover for most kexts
Beginning around the first of February, Apple is requiring all kexts to be certified by Apple and the Mac App Store. Thus, I recommend moving all the hackintosh kexts to /EFI/Clover/kexts/other/ folder. The new MultiBeast for Catalina will be using the Clover kext folder for all selected kexts/drivers because of Apple's new certification policy.

Beginning around the first of February, Apple is requiring all kexts to be certified by Apple and the Mac App Store. Thus, I recommend moving all the hackintosh kexts to /EFI/Clover/kexts/other/ folder. The new MultiBeast for Catalina will be using the Clover kext folder for all selected kexts/drivers because of Apple's new certification policy.
Wow! I hadn't heard that. I don't use MultiBeast but Apple's move will be a real game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back