Contribute
Register

macOS 10.15.2 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT DO THIS !!

@CaseySJ : Your script DELETED all the partitions of my system. It delete my EFI, my Time Machine, my BOOT drive, my CCC backup. EVERYTHING !!

This is as bad as it can get.

I had a working Catalina 10.15.1 with years of work on it!!

OMG :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
See the discussion on this subject in @CaseySJ's thread with this post:

See the discussion on this subject in @CaseySJ's thread with this post:

I read @CaseySJ discussion. Just as I reviewed the script before adding it, but got fooled by his comment that although the script deleted some data, @CaseySJ thought it was safe.

What fool I was.

I relied on both Time Machine, separate drive, and CCC on a separate drive, to for it to be safe with 15+ years of family photos and projects. Now EVERYTHING is gone. It deleted all the drives and the EFI partitions!

More fool me, but you HAVE TO REMOVE this advice to use the script. It is too specific. I trusted your advice Stork, as I have been doing for years and now all my data is destroyed.

Look yes this is on me. But remove the advice please !

I read @CaseySJ discussion. Just as I reviewed the script before adding it, but got fooled by his comment that although the script deleted some data, @CaseySJ thought it was safe.

What fool I was.

I relied on both Time Machine, separate drive, and CCC on a separate drive, to for it to be safe with 15+ years of family photos and projects. Now EVERYTHING is gone. It deleted all the drives and the EFI partitions!

More fool me, but you HAVE TO REMOVE this advice to use the script. It is too specific. I trusted your advice Stork, as I have been doing for years and now all my data is destroyed.

OK.

with 15+ years of family photos and projects. Now EVERYTHING is gone. It deleted all the drives and the EFI partitions!
It's very possible your stuff hasn't been completely deleted unless the script overwrote the sections of the drive where it was with new data. Look into some data recovery programs and hook it up to a Mac via a USB 3.0 adapter. There's a good chance for recovery. https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/top-5-data-recovery-software-mac.html

If even that doesn't work you can use a Pro service that costs just $300. Have a look at that.

We charge $300 if we can recover your SSD, no charge if we can’t (this applies to almost all SSDs; including all SSDs that are 2TB and smaller and not encrypted). If you encrypted your SSD with Bitlocker, FileVault, Veracrypt, or something similar, we charge a $100 encryption fee.

This is the best US based recovery service at the lowest price. I have no affiliation with them.

Last edited:
This is the best US based recovery service at the lowest price. I have no affiliation with them.

Thank you so much for the info. I may have to go this route.

But I have moved my HDDs, of which there were two, one for CCC clone, the other for Time Machine (TM) backup, and it seems like the TM may still have data. I don't know how to inspect the data. I suppose I am supposed to use Apple Recovery? But has that been wiped from the Boot drive?

I suppose I am supposed to use Apple Recovery? But has that been wiped from the Boot drive?
I don't use TM at all so I'm not sure what you can do with that. If you have one of the other hacks around connect the HDD up via Sata data and power cables and see what is still on that. You could also try running some of the free data recovery apps on your other hackintosh(es) to look at the other HDD drive to see what may be recoverable.

What fool I was.

The way I used it was I had an old HDD drive, and I used CCC to clone my main drive to it. Then, after that, I used Clover Configurator to mount my EFI file, and I copied to my desktop. I then unmounted it. After that, once again in Clover Configurator, I mounted the clone EFI file which is empty and pasted it there. I shutdown and removed my main drive and ran the clone. It booted, and I was able to load to my macOS 10.15.1. All is good! Yes, it was a very slow boot from my SSD, but its is a HDD drive, so I was expecting it. hehe! But it worked. Then I removed my clone, and reconnected my main one, and updated normally like a real apple. Oh, and yes, you have to update Clover and the kexts files before making a clone boot copy so that, if anything goes wrong, you can try again from where you left off. Thats' about it really.

Successfully updated :

- downloading the update from apple link
- downloading all WTG and lily from Clover Configurator
- installing apple update.

2 reboots (selecting install Mac OSX from....)

That's it. 19C57 is running.

Success! This is the first straightforward, no-hassle update I've done in ages. I updated the kexts, ran the installer, and was done in 26 minutes after 3 reboots. Just as advertised!

All kexts have been updated since 10.15.1 by +0.0.1. The new version numbers are:

AppleALC.kext - 1.4.4
Lilu.kext - 1.4.0
WhateverGreen - 1.3.5

I had to select the correct "install" partition on at least once on reboot.

Approximate boot times:
First reboot: 7 minutes
Second reboot: 7 minutes
Third reboot: 12 minutes

——————————————————————————————
Notes:

One of the reboots displayed a "remaining time: 45 minutes", but it was continually revised down and lasted only ~7 minutes.

The last reboot didn't have an "install" partition; it looks like you're booting up normally. But after ~3 minutes, it switched to a black "Updating" screen, and took another 10 minutes.

Attachments

• Share.png
    Share.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 132
Updated my machine straight from 10.14.6 to 10.15.2 (I don't like to risk and upgrade to the first 1-2 new versions...)

Updated Clover and kexts, everything is fine here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back