Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [macOS 10.15.0] Thinkpad X1 Extreme Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you can use the touch screen like a HUGE 15 inch trackpad.

We used a modified VoodooPS2Controller from Acidanthera, and that is what enables the multigesture support. Nothing to do with Catalina itself. I think if you use that kext on an older version of Catalina it should work, although I am currently on beta 8.

Voodooi2C does not work out of the box, and since we got VoodooPS2Controller working, Voodooi2C is deprecated. You can read more in readme.MD.

Hope this answers your questions.

voodooi2c is not deprecated, it could be used to get more precise tracking/gestures via the SMbus port (acidanthera's vooodoops2 uses ps2 only which is not as good)

its worth doing, as mentioned before one would need to get the synaptics drivers to work like the elan ones do in this kext- https://github.com/leo-labs/VoodooSMBus

I have a T480 (different trackpad but same interfacing so behavior should translate to the x1 trackpad) and can help with this project . I also ordered a X1 extreme trackpad to see if I can fit it in the T480

could be better than the MacBook trackpad (too huge bleh) and finally bring hackintosh laptops into true 100% pro workstation realm

voodooi2c is not deprecated, it could be used to get more precise tracking/gestures via the SMbus port (acidanthera's vooodoops2 uses ps2 only which is not as good)

its worth doing, as mentioned before one would need to get the synaptics drivers to work like the elan ones do in this kext- https://github.com/leo-labs/VoodooSMBus

I have a T480 (different trackpad but same interfacing so behavior should translate to the x1 trackpad) and can help with this project . I also ordered a X1 extreme trackpad to see if I can fit it in the T480

could be better than the MacBook trackpad (too huge bleh) and finally bring hackintosh laptops into true 100% pro workstation realm
Currently my focus is on getting thunderbolt 3 eGPU figure out somehow. (The word ”deprecated” I used was kinda misleading... I mean I decided not to use it) I can see why it is better to eventually transition to Voodooi2C but currently VoodooPS2Controller is working very well (at least in my standards) and I’d rather work more on the external graphics thing.

If we want the laptop to be a pro workstation, it is simply not enough to use intel UHD 630 (620 in your case) as GPU. iGPU is too weak. The displaylink solution I am currently using still has lag and does not contribute to the overall performance. Therefore, eGPU is necessary. I am using a RX 570 as a test card (got it for about 100 USD) so eventually we can hook up something like a Radeon VII to it. That will make it into a true WS.

We used a modified VoodooPS2Controller from Acidanthera, and that is what enables the multigesture support. Nothing to do with Catalina itself. I think if you use that kext on an older version of Catalina it should work, although I am currently on beta 8.
Thanks for your detailed reply.
In your latest release of catalina clover efi (10.5.0.3.2) , it shows that you still place voodooi2c and voodooi2chid under clover\kext\other , so I'm confused :(

Do you use latest version of voodoops2 (2.0.3) , or you modified the voodoops2 kext so it can also support touchscreen multitouch?

Would you mind post your ioreg ? Maybe @ben9923 can find out the reason :)

Also , if you have enough time , can you post a short video on youtube (maybe around 30 seconds) , demonstrating the touchscreen gesture and post the link here.

Thanks you a lot!

In your latest release of catalina clover efi (10.5.0.3.2) , it shows that you still place voodooi2c and voodooi2chid under clover\kext\other , so I'm confused :(

Do you use latest version of voodoops2 (2.0.3) , or you modified the voodoops2 kext so it can also support touchscreen multitouch?

Also , if you have enough time , can you post a short video on youtube (maybe around 30 seconds) , demonstrating the touchscreen gesture and post the link here.

Thanks you a lot!

Ok. I just made this video demonstrating how everything is like (Sorry for the audio quality...I'm using a three year old iPad since I need it to stand up but it should be okay if you are interested in the contents) and the video is here:

@mdub you might be interested in this video as well, since you can see how this version of VoodooPS2Controller works on the touch screen.

I'll need to get my ioreg later, so I will just post this video here.

Thanks you a lot!

Ok I uploaded my ioreg (It's easier to do than I thought) and I am CCing @ben9923 to let him know about this issue.

See attachments.

Attachments

• Hongjun’s Thinkpad X1E.ioreg
    13.6 MB · Views: 123
@jamesxxx1997 Nope, I was WRONG. Voodooi2C is USEFUL and is WORKING to enable the touchscreen support. I tried to remove it from /others and figured out how wrong I was. I released v3.3 to cleanup the /kexts folder as well as explaining this issue. Sorry for my misleading statements above!

Currently my focus is on getting thunderbolt 3 eGPU figure out somehow. (The word ”deprecated” I used was kinda misleading... I mean I decided not to use it) I can see why it is better to eventually transition to Voodooi2C but currently VoodooPS2Controller is working very well (at least in my standards) and I’d rather work more on the external graphics thing.

If we want the laptop to be a pro workstation, it is simply not enough to use intel UHD 630 (620 in your case) as GPU. iGPU is too weak. The displaylink solution I am currently using still has lag and does not contribute to the overall performance. Therefore, eGPU is necessary. I am using a RX 570 as a test card (got it for about 100 USD) so eventually we can hook up something like a Radeon VII to it. That will make it into a true WS.

Not for audio production! No dgpu is a good thing for audio, fewer clocking issues. Why do you video guys never think about us audio pros? Were like the bastard child of the modern mobile tech industry! :p

Not for audio production! No dgpu is a good thing for audio, fewer clocking issues. Why do you video guys never think about us audio pros? Were like the bastard child of the modern mobile tech industry! :p
Who doesn't like music? But the issue is even with Displaylink the UI on external display is laggy. Hopefully eGPU makes everything smoother. I am still angry that Apple dropped NVIDIA support which sucks for machine learning researchers like me that we cannot use a NVIDIA cars...

Ok I uploaded my ioreg (It's easier to do than I thought) and I am CCing @ben9923 to let him know about this issue.

See attachments.
Can you briefly explain what's wrong, again? @jamesxxx1997

To me it seems like VoodooPS2 is used for trackpad & keyboard, while VoodooI2C + VoodooI2CHID are used for touchscreen & pen.
Please also attach a kernel log for debugging, though I'm not sure what the issue is, still :p
Just make sure VoodooI2C is latest, as there were issues for devices with pens.

BTW, if it's possible, use I2C for trackpad too, it delivers much better performance (Well, PS2 is old, a bottleneck for data).

BTW, if it's possible, use I2C for trackpad too, it delivers much better performance (Well, PS2 is old, a bottleneck for data).

The I2C is unlikely to ever work for the trackpad since its works over the SMbus in this machine. There is a project (voodooSMBus: https://github.com/leo-labs/VoodooSMBus ) which ports the voodooI2C work to the SM like the i2c linux drivers do. I have not experimented with it. Please report if you have success. If I can find my notes/links I'll share.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back