Contribute
Register

macOS 10.14.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good on my White Knight Hack ... Updated to Clover r4920 before install.

Got the purple lines during install and boot up that most people with AMD GPU's are reporting, but its purely a cosmetic thing and does not effect system stability or performance. Vega 64 power and fan curves controlled nicely without any SoftPowerPlay table injection or VGTab kext.

I have a theory as to why the GeekBench 4 Compute test is now around 15,500 ....

I believe that in the past the score of ~20,000 was actually too high for just Vega Compute, I think that MacOS was actually using both IGPU + VEGA .. where as in MacOS 10.14.5 it is now purely on the Vega ...

I remember running some tests in the past with just IGPU and it scored 4500 - 5000.

Cheers
Jay

All good on my White Knight Hack ... Updated to Clover r4920 before install.

Got the purple lines during install and boot up that most people with AMD GPU's are reporting, but its purely a cosmetic thing and does not effect system stability or performance. Vega 64 power and fan curves controlled nicely without any SoftPowerPlay table injection or VGTab kext.

I have a theory as to why the GeekBench 4 Compute test is now around 15,500 ....

I believe that in the past the score of ~20,000 was actually too high for just Vega Compute, I think that MacOS was actually using both IGPU + VEGA .. where as in MacOS 10.14.5 it is now purely on the Vega ...

I remember running some tests in the past with just IGPU and it scored 4500 - 5000.

Cheers
Jay

I don't think so, I was able to get that score when igpu was disabled as well. Plus, on Windows I still get over 20,000 GeekBench score with Vega 64 (iGPU is disabled from biBIOSos).

Update with no issues. Only that the processor is showing i7 instead of i9....Any ideas why??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 18.50.04.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 18.50.04.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Followed above directions and no problems with update.

Last edited:
Updated Clover and kexts. No need for USB port limit patch as I have custom SSDT.

Update went fine without a hitch (only on the Clone drive so far), also have the new purple decorations with every boot, but one thing that now bugs me is that the fonts/graphics overall are no longer smooth (blurry). Tried the HiDPI terminal command once again (used to work before this update), but I no longer have the HiDPI option from the Displays preference pane for the resolution I wanted.

So now I get to choose either blurry graphics, or gigantic graphics. Oh well, might as well get used to not having "Retina-like" graphics for a while.

They must have definitely changed something in the Radeon drivers.

I don't think so, I was able to get that score when igpu was disabled as well. Plus, on Windows I still get over 20,000 GeekBench score with Vega 64 (iGPU is disabled from biBIOSos)

@yigpig,

Fair enough .... seems a big drop in compute performance though considering this update was meant to fix the remaining Vega driver issues ..... my score dropped from around 20,400 to 15,500.

Two steps forwards, one step back ;)

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Geekbench 4 OpenCL (87000) and Metal (72000) scores are the same with AMD R9 380 between 10.14.4 and 10.14.5. Are RX4xx and RX5xx concerned by purple lines and lower scores or is it a Vega thing?

EDIT: ok, RX580 users are reporting the same but I'm curious about RX480.

Updated without any problems, didn't update any kext files, on Clover r4920, no purple lines on boot up.

Last edited:
Updated all three Hacks to 10.14.5 today using the standalone update installer from Apple download link
Updated to Clover r4920 on all three systems before running the installer.

Used the clone method on my laptop in order to keep HFS+ system partition (still don't trust APFS on it)
Standard install on the other two desktop systems.

Probably the smoothest update yet.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back