Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [macOS 10.15.0] Thinkpad X1 Extreme Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish someone with an eGPU to test out the TB3 compatibility...Not many people have done research on eGPU in laptop TB3 yet. I have a gaming box 1080 but no NVIDIA drivers mean it won't work. Unfortunate.

I managed to install Mojave on my X1 extreme but have the same problem than sechsterngriff who posted last december and apparently his issue was not solved.

My boot time is >20 minutes, hangs in the same place, as can be seen in this log excerpt included in the zip file , there is a 23 minutes hang in ACPI.

I've tried both Errrneist and ZySuper EFI versions, as well as Errrneist simplified one and my tweaks they all do the same.

I might have a bios option not properly set.
I also see that I do not have the same processor.

Finally, battery monitoring does not seem to work properly. I don't know if its related.

All report files attached.

I managed to install Mojave on my X1 extreme but have the same problem than sechsterngriff who posted last december and apparently his issue was not solved.

My boot time is >20 minutes, hangs in the same place, as can be seen in this log excerpt included in the zip file , there is a 23 minutes hang in ACPI.

I've tried both Errrneist and ZySuper EFI versions, as well as Errrneist simplified one and my tweaks they all do the same.

I might have a bios option not properly set.
I also see that I do not have the same processor.

Finally, battery monitoring does not seem to work properly. I don't know if its related.

All report files attached.

All right, I figured after posting this that I needed to extract and patch my own DSDT file. This info is not that clear in the guides. Done that, boot is quick now.

I have yet to figure the brightness buttons patch (Q14 and Q15) as per zysuper. I compared his DSDT and mine for those methods and they are identical.

All right, I figured after posting this that I needed to extract and patch my own DSDT file. This info is not that clear in the guides. Done that, boot is quick now.

I have yet to figure the brightness buttons patch (Q14 and Q15) as per zysuper. I compared his DSDT and mine for those methods and they are identical.

Figured the brightness controls, noticed the Notify(KBD,0x0405) and Notify(KBD,0x0406) in zysuper's DSDT for methods q14 and q15. Hopefully this will help someone later...

I also had to inject profile 1 for audio in Clover configurator devices and click ResetHDA to fix an issue where audio would work right after boot but would crash after a while.

I'm thinking about buying thinkpad x1 extreme that I have few questions before I will go shopping because it will be my first hackintosh:

1) I've seen most people here had Intel i7-8850H CPU, should it still work with i7-8750H?
2) Is there any type of ram I should avoid to be sure they will work? I'm plan to upgrade ram on my own
3) Similarly I will upgrade SSD on my own. Any recommendation for 1TB SSD? I was thinking about 970 EVO plus but not sure if it will work and if this extra speed is worth the price or instead getting something cheaper.
4) What's difference between BCM94360CS2 and BCM943602CS ? Is there even possible to connect 3 antennas in this thinkpad?
5) Can anyone share benchmark from geekbench 4.0 on mojave. Did Mojave 10.4.5 that has included intel cpu bug mitigation reduced performance a lot? I'm wondering if worth to wait another year although my macbook pro mid 2012 is getting old and probably won't get another OS upgrade
6) Do you think Thinkpad X1 Extreme gen 2 should work with hackintosh with their 9th gen intel cpus? Do you think its worth to wait and take a risk? I'm using mostly for Development and worring that with hyperthroating disabled (to mitigate intel bugs) I will barely feel any performance improvement even though I'm having i-7 from 6 generations away.

1) yes i have it working with a 8750
2) Just respect the timings specified for the X1
3) 970 EVO works fine (but not EVO+).
4) 3 antennas work checkout Errneist and Zysuper GitHub repositories, they have pictures
5) can'T answer
6) can't answer

I see Thinkpad P1 is more discounted right now. Its seems it basicly its the same machine spec wise to X1 Extreme (if you don't choose Xeon but Core cpu). Did anyone try to hackintosh Thinkpad P1?

I'm thinking about buying thinkpad x1 extreme that I have few questions before I will go shopping because it will be my first hackintosh:

1) I've seen most people here had Intel i7-8850H CPU, should it still work with i7-8750H?
2) Is there any type of ram I should avoid to be sure they will work? I'm plan to upgrade ram on my own
3) Similarly I will upgrade SSD on my own. Any recommendation for 1TB SSD? I was thinking about 970 EVO plus but not sure if it will work and if this extra speed is worth the price or instead getting something cheaper.
4) What's difference between BCM94360CS2 and BCM943602CS ? Is there even possible to connect 3 antennas in this thinkpad?
5) Can anyone share benchmark from geekbench 4.0 on mojave. Did Mojave 10.4.5 that has included intel cpu bug mitigation reduced performance a lot? I'm wondering if worth to wait another year although my macbook pro mid 2012 is getting old and probably won't get another OS upgrade
6) Do you think Thinkpad X1 Extreme gen 2 should work with hackintosh with their 9th gen intel cpus? Do you think its worth to wait and take a risk? I'm using mostly for Development and worring that with hyperthroating disabled (to mitigate intel bugs) I will barely feel any performance improvement even though I'm having i-7 from 6 generations away.
I updated to 10.14.5. I don’t feel significant speed lag. You can try that out! Note: my computer crashed so I did a reinstall with 10.14.5, not direct update. Not sure how direct update will turn out, you might want to make a USB just in case. The reason my DSDT is identical is because I share the same spec with zysuper(yours might differ since we have 8850H so our DSDT just works, and I don’t need to patch my own.)

I see Thinkpad P1 is more discounted right now. Its seems it basicly its the same machine spec wise to X1 Extreme (if you don't choose Xeon but Core cpu). Did anyone try to hackintosh Thinkpad P1?
For P1, I have no idea. It very likely will work, but I can’t make a conclusion. If someone can gift me a P1 I can certainly try :) same thing with 9th gen. 9th gen will definitely require a complete DSDT and AppleALC rework, as well as compatibility issues need to be solved.

1) yes i have it working with a 8750
2) Just respect the timings specified for the X1
3) 970 EVO works fine (but not EVO+).
4) 3 antennas work checkout Errneist and Zysuper GitHub repositories, they have pictures
5) can'T answer
6) can't answer
New firmware update allows 970 Evo Plus to work : ) I bought the wrong drive but luckily they recently released a firmware update and I was able to get it working following this tutorial. I'm typing from my X1 Extreme Hackintosh right now. I still have some issues to fix however but this has been a great help.

Issues so far:
1. My boot time is also 25 minutes.
2. My right click on my touchpad is not working.
3. Booting into Windows from Clover Bootloader works but I can't use my touchpad to move the mouse but left and right click works.
4. When I turn on my PC I see this(view attachment) on the top left corner along with the Red Lenovo Boot Screen

Edit: Just to confirm I also have 32gb of Ram via 2 16gb Sticks and the 4k with Touch Screen. Also noticed on github that it is mentioned to just load windows regularly.

Attachments

• Error 1.jpeg
    Error 1.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back