Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> MacOS 10.14.5 black screen with mouse pointer on logout, reboot or shutdown but works perfectly via terminal commands reboot,shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock Z370 Pro4 3.20
CPU
i7-8700k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
After success of updating by main build(Sapphire RX 580 Z370 Pro4 | i7 8700K) to 10.14.5, it started to refuse to shutdown or logout, and would just give me a black screen with a mouse pointer can you can move around.

Using the terminal and issuing the commands "sudo reboot"or "sudo shutdown -h now" work perfectly without any issue within seconds, but no such luck via the menu options (Reset,Shutdown,Logout).

What is done differently from the menu vs the command line and how can I check to see what is making it hang? I assume some logout scripts are run that maybe the issue? how do I find and isolate them so I can find the one causing the issue as you can do with login scripts?

Quick update:
Managed to figure it out. Now rebooting and shutting down from menu perfectly. It was two services that were hanging, I did not need them anymore, so I removed them both manually from the terminal window.

The reason it worked via the terminal commands is because it does not signal to the services to finish, it just ends them without any warning, unlike when you use the menu options.

It took some digging around the system, but on a positive I guess I understand MacOS a little better now.

Since fixing the issue I've upgraded to 10.14.6 and all other updates as it would not work before due to the hanging services stopping it from installing.

On to my next project: upgrading to 10.15.x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back