Contribute
Register

macOS 10.14.2 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you wondering. I updated to 10.14.2 on my Main drive this time (and fixed the USB patch), and I've tested again Premiere Pro. As you can see in the screenshot below, with OpenCL, RX580 is being used fully during an export of a 4K tutorial (does NOT even have color grading), and the amount of time it takes to export is less than the actual video time. For our 4K travel videos with color grading, takes as much time as the video itself (again the RX 580 is used in full).

If you're still thinking of dumping Nvidia for AMD, do not hesitate.

Your work on a RX 580 makes clear how far video cards have come, as shown on your excellent website. Your Geneva video is outstanding, from the drone footage to the footage walking down the streets, which is just fascinating and shows how much we miss in our real-time experience but can see in a video. Thank you for your comments here because you've gone into Mojave, not to mention Premiere Pro on macOS, when others have held back.

Your work on a RX 580 makes clear how far video cards have come, as shown on your excellent website. Your Geneva video is outstanding, from the drone footage to the footage walking down the streets, which is just fascinating and shows how much we miss in our real-time experience but can see in a video. Thank you for your comments here because you've gone into Mojave, not to mention Premiere Pro on macOS, when others have held back.

Thank you. My husband is responsible for the travel videos (drone footage, and camera shooting etc) and I do the tutorials, some of the music, the editing etc. He was hesitant when I asked him to buy me an RX580, as many kept saying Nvidia cards work better for Adobe products, but my tests clearly showed that is no longer the case. In fact, on Premiere Pro’s compatibility list of GPUs, you will see the RX580 being included.

Mojave was just too good to stay on High Sierra with Nvidia. If you are doing professional work on macOS, the AMD cards are what you need. My husband though prefers Windows better (he doesn’t have time to learn the macOS), so he boots on that drive, and edits and color grades his 4K travel videos occasionally from there, with the RX580.

But on macOS it works a whole lot faster. Windows is awful for professional work. If we have a travel video that is really long or needs a lot of work, the macOS boot drive is what we use, and just guide my husband if he needs help navigating through Mojave, or just let him do the color grading and the cuts and I do the rest.

I’d like to thank this community for helping me build and setup my Hackintosh PC. It was the best thing I ever did. Now if only I had the guts to try and Hackintosh my AsusPro laptop (although I’m pretty sure almost everything is soldered, and things like the WiFi/Bluetooth are not gonna work).

I have a Sapphire Vega 64. I am using custompowereplay.kext in my clover directory along with whatevergreen.
On 14.1 fan of display card worked beautifully-very quiet. After the update the fan on the video card ran at full speed. I went into custompowerplay and changed the os version from 10.13 to 10.14. Everything is fine again.
Also, I had to disconnect all but my main drive or the update will not install. Very smooth after that.

Hi :) I've not seen this kext before, and googling it hasn't come up with anything bar this post? Could you possibly link this to me? I have a Gigabyte RX Vega 64 and it's fan speeds often grow and grow, sit high for a bit then start wavering. iStat is reporting a GPU temperature of 40 degrees, so I think it's plenty cool. I've tried VegaTab.app without much luck.

For USB, did you follow post 2? You will also need the USB Inject All kext too from the latest Multibeast for Mojave.

For Final Cut, do you have the latest Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts? And you will also need to follow the iDiots Guide to iMessage, to ensure your CPU and iGPU is recognized properly and all macOS features are working. I use Premiere Pro myself, but no crashes at all.
I don't think I need the USB patch as I am using a custom SSDT for proper USB Injection. Although, I did try with that as well and same result. I do have the latest kexts versions for Whatevergreen and Lilu. Not sure what guide I followed, but my iMessages, continuity etc. is working properly with no issues. I have tried Premiere Pro, and did not have an issue when exporting from there.

It is worlds smoother. I recently dumped my 980 Ti for a Vega 64 and as soon as I installed it and turned it on, the whole UI was smoother. The ATI driver must leverage Metal better or the Nvidia driver is still a laggy bugfest, not sure which. The RX 580 would probably be a great upgrade from a GTX 660.

Does anyone know if a new version of MultiBeast is coming out for 10.14.2? I would love to pin down my install right now but I prefer the MultiBeast release to line up with the macOS release...
thanks for the response! Yea the old 660 was literally collecting dust, I saw its natively supported by osx and threw it in. I cant wait to see the difference of a rx580 first hand

I found the Radeon card to also be much smoother in operation, the only thing is the graphics glitch on boot and unto now no-one has come up with an answer to it.

I've had to stick a GT710 to get my high res graphics back (2560 x 1440) while waiting for the web drivers. I've just updated from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2 and Multibeast 11.0.1 and found I was only being offered a maximum res of 1920 x 1080. I've had to downgrade to Multibeast 10.4 (clover 4630) to get my full monitor resolution back . Clover 4630 seems to be working fine with 10.14.2 so far but have no idea why I was only being offered 1080p.

It is worlds smoother. I recently dumped my 980 Ti for a Vega 64 and as soon as I installed it and turned it on, the whole UI was smoother. The ATI driver must leverage Metal better or the Nvidia driver is still a laggy bugfest, not sure which. The RX 580 would probably be a great upgrade from a GTX 660.

Actually, I can vouch that a RX480 felt like an upgrade from a GTX1070.
The UI was smoother, faster on a 144hz/1440p screen. And even colors and sharpness on my secondary monitor, a 43” TV was obvious to me and my girlfriend.
Of course, video games / Windows 10 is another story so I will eventually buy a Vega Nitro when the pricing madness is over.

I've had to stick a GT710 to get my high res graphics back (2560 x 1440) while waiting for the web drivers. I've just updated from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2 and Multibeast 11.0.1 and found I was only being offered a maximum res of 1920 x 1080. I've had to downgrade to Multibeast 10.4 (clover 4630) to get my full monitor resolution back . Clover 4630 seems to be working fine with 10.14.2 so far but have no idea why I was only being offered 1080p.

Ok it seems to be selecting Core Graphics Fixup AKA WateverGreen in Multibeast 11.0.1 that is causing this issue. Selecting this option in Multibeast 10.4 was fine. I've still been able to install NoVPAJpeg to get Preview of jpegs to work without this options so all good.

Almost 5 minutes to complete the update process, two reboots with one strange crash but everything is fine.

Schermata 2018-12-13 alle 20.06.16.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back