Contribute
Register

macOS 10.14.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for the definitive expert on Mojave here...
Still struggling to get a valid update installed. Early on in betas there was a flag allowing install on HFS+ so I chose that method since APFS was getting some bad ink back there... so when the final release arrived I tried and was unable to install using Unibeast... but I discovered another method elsewhere which did allow the HFS+ install, and that was successful. All my testing is using SSD drives.

Lastly, I cloned and then converted that disk to APFS and then attempted to install the update using the 6gb image download. It did begin that install but then after the progress bar had barely moved, the system just rebooted and gave up, so that was about as close as I've come so far.

I'm hoping someone can affirm or deny that APFS will be mandatory from this point forward.
I've also discovered that if I'm booted to the HFS+ version, and go into Update in SysPref, the system says I'm up to date at 10.14, and that there are no updates available... but if I clone and then convert to APFS, now the system is willing to download the update... which again seems to say the HFS+ ship has sailed. I'm about to try that download and install method next but still looking for some more experienced wisdom on all this.

Gosh, 10.14.1 got me a hard time! It installed OK but then, it just got stuck with no error message, with no crash or whatsoever, just not willing to start the GUI.
I even restored my previous 10.14 conf. from Time Machine backup 3 times, before I thought about changing the SMBIOS Product Model from iMac 17,1 to iMac 18,3 in the Clover options at boot time. Stupid me!
Then at last, it accepted starting, but with an intolerable flicker of the display, which I had already noticed with iMac 18,3 on Mojave.
Finally, after multiple trials, it turned out iMac 14,2 stopped the flicker for me.

View attachment 363836

SMBIOS'es 18.3 and 18.2 expect that the device has two graphic cards, internal and external, that's why there is flicker when you use only internal Intel card. 18.1 is your friend, since it is from a iMac without external card.

I also lost Quicksync after updating to 10.14.1. I had also updated Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts at the same time. I went back to previous versions of those kexts and now Quicksync works again.

View media item 191192
Can you send them to kexts please?

I'm hoping someone can affirm or deny that APFS will be mandatory from this point forward. I've also discovered that if I'm booted to the HFS+ version, and go into Update in SysPref, the system says I'm up to date at 10.14, and that there are no updates available... but if I clone and then convert to APFS, now the system is willing to download the update... which again seems to say the HFS+ ship has sailed. I'm about to try that download and install method next but still looking for some more experienced wisdom on all this.

The 10.14.1 Update will only install on a APFS system partition, but you can clone a 10.14.1 APFS formatted system back on to a HFS+ partition and it will run fine. See my post here :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/using-hfs-instead-of-apfs-for-mojave-update.264001/#post-1842436

Post #1 of the thread confirms the problem, post #6 confirms that 10.14.1 still works ok on HFS+

Cheers
Jay

I picked up a used rx 570 8gb for $120. Or you can get a rx 560 4gb for about $70 on ebay.

Got a new rx 580 4gb on eBay for $60. 2gb more than I have now, so... thanks!

[Edit: too good to be true. eBay sent me an email that the listing was bogus. Money refunded, and searching anew...]

Last edited:
No issues on my z170 machine: i5-6600k, Radeon HD 7970.

I didn't lose my audio (configured via Clover) or QuickSync (Whatevergreen, Lilu are the same ones from when I updated to Mojave).

SMBIOS'es 18.3 and 18.2 expect that the device has two graphic cards, internal and external, that's why there is flicker when you use only internal Intel card. 18.1 is your friend, since it is from a iMac without external card.
Interesting, Any guide on how to get both internal and external graphics working together? Have this with HS and works very well, I had issues when updating to Mojave.

What's the problem with that? I'm just saying that when you have only internal CPU graphic card (which is visible on the screenshot) and set SMBIOS from an iMac that has both - it flickers like hell. Had the same problem. Solution to that is to set SMBIOS of the machine that doesn't have external GPU when you don't have one. That's SMBIOS 18.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back