Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [macOS 10.15.0] Thinkpad X1 Extreme Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. My BIOS is all setup according to the Laptop Guide. Secure boot is disabled, etc.

I can't tell if I'm making progress or just running in circles trying the same things over and over.

When the macOS installer crashes at "2 minutes remaining" it is no longer showing a kernel panic at that point, it's just rebooting itself. When it reboots, it boots from the USB, and loads Clover. Clover then shows two Apple options: "boot from install_osx" (my USB installer), or "boot from MacHD" (the internal SSD that I'm trying to install on).

So I select "boot from MacHD" (the internal SSD), and before it is able to boot anything it gives me an almost identical kernel panic to the one I was getting before...

On github(especially at my friend zysuper's repository on github) we discussed an issue of PM981 being unable to boot, so you might need extra SSDT to do it. I don't have it in my repo because I am using a Toshiba XG3. More information here: https://github.com/zysuper/Thinkpad-X1-extreme-EFI See his ACPI file description for more info.

Hi Errrneist. I'm a complete newbie so please bare with me.
I'm using your EFI release directly with no changes, but I'm experiencing very long boot times. I mean over 10 minute long.
Once it loads into macOS everything seems stable. The issue is it just takes so much time to get there. Is this normal?
I checked with Clover Configurator and there are no Debug flags active.

Sorry for the delay. I have not been checking this post for a while due to schoolwork :) My average boot time is about 3 min, sometimes it varies. Not sure about what went wrong with yours tho...maybe you need a bit more research.

Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks Errrneist your configs got me going.

I received my X1 Extreme 2 days ago and I'm just starting to try and make everything work in Mac OS.

I had a question regarding the Nvidia card. If in the Bios I switch from Hybrid Graphics to Discrete, Mac OS seem to recognise a non descripted Nvidia card. So, if Nvidia drivers are finally released for Mojave it should be working right? Only on the Nvidia card so it will probably kill the battery life but not a huge issue for me.

Anyway, if I'd switch it back in forth in the Bios I could choose which to use?

And to answer some of Lifecrest's questions

Not sure about TB3 but I got my Blackmagic Mini Monitor TB2 recognized via an apple TB2-TB3 adapter. No hotswap at this time.

I tried to install High Sierra with 15,2 and 14,3 SMBIOS and clover wouldn't let me because the OS is not compatible. But I know Errrneist did it. El Capitan is way too old I think to work with the hardware in the X1 Extreme.

Yes, I installed High Sierra and it was somewhat okay (I was able to install but I was using MacbookPro 15,1 and was not able to get iGPU working because that was at a very early stage of the project and I soon moved to Mojave.) More testing is needed for High Sierra, and files in my repo is a good start, but certainly has a lot of flaws for 10.13.6. I got a Gigabyte Gamingbox with a RX970 in it and I was not able to let my machine recognize anything. I have a question: When your laptop is unplugged from eGPU, when you click into System Information for TB3 what do you see? Mine give me "Thunderbolt 3: Driver not loaded" so I wonder what yours says, as well as if you made any modification to let TB working?

Hi, can you share your working EFI folder for hackintosh Thinkpad P1. I have the same spec P1 except mine is quadro1000.
I have X1 Extreme, not P1. Therefore I can't say anything about P1 (Unless you want to give me one for free to do my research lol that is always welcome) Read my post for my EFI repository in Github.

On github(especially at my friend zysuper's repository on github) we discussed an issue of PM981 being unable to boot, so you might need extra SSDT to do it. I don't have it in my repo because I am using a Toshiba XG3. More information here: https://github.com/zysuper/Thinkpad-X1-extreme-EFI See his ACPI file description for more info.
Thank you for explaining that! It's disappointing that the PM981 is not compatible. I've ordered this drive on eBay. Hopefully that works better when it arrives.

Thank you for explaining that! It's disappointing that the PM981 is not compatible. I've ordered this drive on eBay. Hopefully that works better when it arrives.
Not quite “not compatible” just “need more work to tweak”. The easiest way is certainly just order a 2nd drive.

Thanks for the guide. My mistake in my earlier post was the 2nd slot is NvME and not just SATA speeds. I installed a 1TB Samsung 970 in Slot 2. Speed is fast 2900 Mb/s for both read and write in APFS. I can read the 981 on slot 1. Speeds is 1700-2000 Mb/s for the 981 which I partitioned it to ExFat so I can run Windows. I also can read/write to it as well in Mojave.

For bluetooth Im using the USB Iogear and the USB Wifi that is using the Realtek chipset with no issues. Airdrop not working. Still looking for solutions as someone was able to use Airdrop with this BCM20702 chipset.

Next step is the battery meter and the brightness control with the function keys. I know you need to patch the DSDT.aml file. Getting errors while compiling even compiling my stock DSDT.dsl file with no patching yet. Not sure if I am doing this right.

Small issue with sound. Using VoodooHDA for sound but its not loud playing through the laptop speakers. Headphones volume is great but not the builtin speakers. May try the AppleALC unless someone can point out what I did wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide. My mistake in my earlier post was the 2nd slot is NvME and not just SATA speeds. I installed a 1TB Samsung 970 in Slot 2. Speed is fast 2900 Mb/s for both read and write in APFS. I can read the 981 on slot 1. Speeds is 1700-2000 Mb/s for the 981 which I partitioned it to ExFat so I can run Windows. I also can read/write to it as well in Mojave.

For bluetooth Im using the USB Iogear and the USB Wifi that is using the Realtek chipset with no issues. Airdrop not working. Still looking for solutions as someone was able to use Airdrop with this BCM20702 chipset.

Next step is the battery meter and the brightness control with the function keys. I know you need to patch the DSDT.aml file. Getting errors while compiling even compiling my stock DSDT.dsl file with no patching yet. Not sure if I am doing this right.

Small issue with sound. Using VoodooHDA for sound but its not loud playing through the laptop speakers. Headphones volume is great but not the builtin speakers. May try the AppleHDA unless someone can point out what I did wrong.
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

For those using Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, DaVinci DO NOT upgrade to 10.14.3. Upgrading to 10.14.3 will cause those programs to run extremely slow. Rendering takes forever. This was verified on another thread as well. Could be a 10.14.3 bug or a UHD630 issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back