Contribute
Register

macOS 10.13.6 Update

This update did not go as easily as previous updates and only was successful on the 6th try. I updated the machine to the latest Clover build, updated apfs.api, and edited config.plist for USB fix. I then started the direct macOS update from the app store but had 3 failures (rapid re-boots with clearly zero progress). The 4th try started off promising with a brief progress bar showing up, but it then gave the "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" error message.

Time for combo update. I rebooted into 10.13.5 and downloaded the combo update thinking that there might be a conflict between my OS X 10.13.5 and the incremental update from the app store. First attempt to install combo update was more promising with a "calculating time remaining" message coming up, but then it restarted yet again without indicating any progress. Finally I attempted the install of the combo update in verbose mode assuming I'd need a screenshot of the error being encountered. Unexpectedly this 6th attempt to install update (in verbose mode) went past the "calculating time remaining" message and began counting down the time remaining for the successful update and it then was completed. Updated NVIDIA driver so back to work.

I am stil in HFS+, and I see on other sites that this update will convert to AFS, has anyone else sees this happened?

Do I need to copy some apfs.api file or not? Am on Clover 4586.

All good here. Still working.

I am stil in HFS+, and I see on other sites that this update will convert to AFS, has anyone else sees this happened?

Do I need to copy some apfs.api file or not? Am on Clover 4586.
If right now you are using 10.13.x High Sierra, and the drive you want to update is HFS+, then when you update your drive will continue in HFS+ and not be converted to APFS.

If you are installing High Sierra for the first time, from a previous macOS (Sierra 10.12 or earlier) or as a clean install, and IF the drive you are updating/installing to High Sierra is an SSD, it will automatically be converted to APFS. But if the drive you are updating to High Sierra for the first time is a HDD, then it will not be converted and will continue with HFS+. Apple has not said that 10.13 is compatible with HDDs, though some people have converted HDDs to High Sierra. I personally do not suggest it.

If you are installing High Sierra for the first time on an SSD, including for an update from an earlier version of macOS, and you would like to continue in HFS+, you can do so.
As tonymacx86 wrote:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/
"9. (Optional) Prevent APFS file system- default to HFS
Some users may prefer HFS file system and want to install without converting the system disk to the new default APFS file system. To this end, we've created a script called No-Convert which is included when creating your bootable USB installer using UniBeast. Running that script in Terminal will prevent automatic APFS file system conversion. Skip this step to default to APFS.

a. Press the hotkey to choose boot device (F12 for Gigabyte motherboards, F8 for ASUS motherboards, F11 for ASrock motherboards)
b. Choose USB
c. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra again
d. After the installer completely boots, In the top menu bar choose Utilities, and open Terminal
e. Type the following:
Code (Text):
/Volumes/Image\ Volume/No-Convert
f. Reboot" [end quote]

Now if at any time you do convert your drive to APFS, you will not be able to boot into the drive unless you have the APFS driver installed, so install it before you convert to APFS.

Even if you are using SSDs in HFS+ with High Sierra, you can install the APFS driver on the disks with no harm. It simply is not utilized then.

For proper installation of APFS driver see here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/
"Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/."
and here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-update-current-and-past-apfs-efi-downloads.236103/

And here's a big tip: You can in the future convert a High Sierra or later drive from HFS+ to APFS using Disk Utility--but you will not be able to until the disk you want to convert is UNMOUNTED.
And no matter what you do, always have a copy of your boot disk beforehand in case things go south! Cheers!

Last edited:
Do I still need the updated USB Port limit patch if I already have an USB-SSDT? I have generated my USB-SSDT since 10.13.4 and was working perfect until I updated to 10.13.6. I have lost USB 3.0. External drives connected to any USB 3 ports are not detected by the system but the physical lights lit, and its blue meaning its USB 3.

Installed update without issue. System model identifier iMac18,3:

1) Selected update from App Store
2) Let install complete normally (process included a couple automatic reboots, 15-20 minutes total)
3) NVIDIA Driver Manager control panel launched automatically, indicating an update was available. Accepted defaults, installed driver, and rebooted.

Sound output devices remained intact, sleep/wake works, GPU acceleration works.

Back