macOS 10.13.4 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
When trying fisrt to install the Combo update I got :

Bg3i8xK.png

Second attempt was successfull.

Nice bonus, the RX is now shown correct :

s400pKD.png

Used updated apfs.efi and that's all I did. Updated from the MAS and the process is smooth! After upgrade, I fixed the driver using Webdriver All Versions to use the old 104 driver -- no difference in graphical performance. However, one thing weird is that I lost one 1MB of graphics memory (see screen shot) -- which doesn't matter at all

View attachment 322249

View attachment 322250

Edited: the USB 3 devices were not working. Applied the solution in the guide and it works perfectly now. Thank you for the work!

Are you on the most recent drivers or still on .104?

Thanks for this! I used the kext you provided and audio returns!
I appreciate the help.

I tried the same kext loaded in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and now I have my HDMI output listed three times, but none of them actually works. I'm still reading through the thread to see if I missed something. Where did you put it? Any other steps you took?

EDIT: Seems audio over HDMI works just fine for everything except Safari. Never saw anything like that. No idea. Will keep searching.

And I've also realized HDMI is listed three times because my graphics card has three outputs. Duh.

Last edited:
I have an RX460 on top of Intel 630 (i7700K). I just updated, swapping in the new apfs.efi first but I didn't remove WhateverGreen, in fact I updated it to the latest and I didn't change the Radeon Deinit setting either. I dunno why; it's just. with my multi monitor situation, I intuit that WE is still helpful. Everything's working lovely like, including sleep, wake. But should I go ahead and take WE etc out? Would it be cleaner somehow? Of course I'll likely end up testing anyway, but it would be good for someone with the knowledge to weigh in, because I'm not sure. And I have tried finding out :)

What's your SMBIOS?

All fine! 2 laptops and 1 desktop

no hope!
gigabyte z170x ultra
i5 7600k
rx 580 8gb nitro
16gb
I have tried: clover other: lilu, whatevergreen, fakesmc,nvidiagraphicsfix
any help?
this is not a help thread

Updated from App Store no issues just waiting for Nvidia to catchup with new driver.

Worked fine for me. I had skipped the .3 upgrade due to issues reported for the Nvidia drivers, but since I more often use my MBP, I decided to go ahead.

Of course, unusably slow until the nvidia drivers installed. I had to patch the config.plist for USB support using a post I found here to get some USB drives to reappear. Was easy.

Haven't used enough to know whether the nvidia issues will affect me.

I still haven't risked the new apple filesystem yet for my boot drive. I also used clonezilla for my boot drive again before the upgrade, just in case.

You should ask toleda in the audio forum as he will know. Before i tried patching AppleHDAController for NVIDIA audio i did a 'kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA' and 'kextcache -i /' to try and ensure the kext was in the cache for Clover to patch. I don't use onboard sound though.
In CloverALC Controllers.plist there is this:

There's patches for Kepler and Pascal there as well. The 'Find' and 'Replace' are base64 encoded vendorID+device ID for the NVIDIA audio device. May be partial IDs used for pattern matching by AppleALC.kext - I don't know. All I did was try these values in a Clover patch, changing the replace to the exact ID of the GTX970 audio device, so the Clover version I'm using looks like this:
I'd just rather use Clover than install an additional kext.

Edit: This can also be solved with DSDT/SSDT edits and an injector kext for @RehabMan 's FakePCIID.kext (attached). Just add a working device-id property to the HDAU device-specific method e.g.

Code:
Device (HDAU)
{
Name (_ADR, One)  // _ADR: Address

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
{

Return (Package ()
{
        "hda-gfx", "onboard-1",

"etc", "etc",

"device-id", Buffer(0x4) {
               0x0b, 0x0e, 0x00, 0x00
        }
})

The same device-id is being used for all the patches in AppleALC/Controllers.plist (Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal) so the device-id property above may work for any of those cards. Credits to the original authors of these projects/patches, vit9696, FredWest, al3xtjames, RehabMan, toleda and others.

Okay this post finally helped me. After updating everything worked fine except lost HDMI audio. I had enabled 1150 through MultiBeast and had all devices present in about this Mac other then HDMI. When I ran toleda's NVIDIA HDMI audio script, it said I already had HDMI enabled. So it was just a matter of editing my Clover kernel and kext patch for the AppleHDAController to match my specific graphics card - GTX 960. If you find your HDAU in IoReg, you can look up your vendor and device id and take the first four values of each for me it was (de10) and (ba0f) and put them in the HEX converter for Clover Configurator to get the edit you need (de10ba0f = 3hC6Dw==) and edit your config.plist appropriately. The difference for me and this post was changing the 7 to a 6. Once I figured out how to get the specific value I need, HDMI reappears in devices and everything is fine.

Edit 1 - This is a better solution then the Voodo kext was because although sound worked in a browser with the kext it did not work in iTunes. Edit of config.plist and HDMI works in all applications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back