CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
UHD 770, RTX 2080 Super
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Changes buildnumber to 17E202 but patching the Nvidia webdriver still works, otherwise everything went well with the update.

Once again I am unable to do an update.

First, I tried the standalone updater. The package installer gave me an error with a giant yellow caution sign. It said, "The installation failed. Could not prepare Security Update 2018-001 for installation. Try installing from a different copy of the item or contact the manufacturer for assistance." I called Apple and they were very sorry this happened. Tim's going to get back to me later today with a fix. Actually, to be accurate, Apple doesn't care about me. I made up the part about calling Apple. The error message is totally, 100% real, though.

In past updates, the App Store update wouldn't work, but the standalone updater would work or vice versa. I figured, "OK, this is one of those times when the standalone updater doesn't work but (fingers crossed) the App Store update will work."

So I tried the App Store update. I got a little bit further with this. After it finished downloading, there was a message about restarting. So far so good. Pressed restart. The screen turned black and there was a progress bar. After a bit it (the progress bar) said "Restarting." The progress bar went away and there was a momentary gray spinner. Then the first reboot. Alas, in Clover, I didn't get the "Install Mac OS from ..." boot option.

Although I believe I am the only person in the world with this issue, I'm just going to kind of follow-up here, so there's some sort of record.

I managed to get the update (17E202) installed just now. As I stated before, the updater wants to use my recovery partition for it's intermediate, reboot-and-install stage. When I had tried the stand alone updater Clover didn't present that boot option (the update didn't work). After that I tried the App Store updater and it also didn't work.

This morning it occurred to me that perhaps the stand alone updater (performed first) had left a mess behind that kept the App Store updater from working. I mounted my recovery partition, and sure enough, there were two extra, non-recovery related folders in there. I removed them and tried the App Store updater again. It worked.

I recently made this update, and now my bluetooth is wonky. The chip on my Asus GA-H77N-WIFI is still recognized, but it bluetooth cannot be turned off, and now my Apple trackpad and keyboard will no longer pair. Anyone have similar issues or have any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back