Contribute
Register

macOS 10.13.3 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m currently on 10.13.1 and when trying to update to High Sierra 10.13.3 it downloads and reboots and then I navigate to "Install macOS from Macintosh HDD" and it boots for a little while then gray screen with spinning wheel. If I force reboot I can still boot into my original install of 10.13.1 (System Definitions: iMac 14.2).

Suggestions on why the update won't complete?

- Attached image of white screen that occurs during the 10.13.3 update
- Attached the verbose mode output when running the update after reboot
Use your phone to video the boot process in verbose mode and cycle through it frame by frame to see exactly which next is throwing the panic. Once you figure out which kext is causing the problem reboot to a prior version of the OS and replace that kext with the latest version. For my config, appleintelle1000e.kext caused the panic. Later, I experienced reboots after login caused by an older Realtek kext.

Use your phone to video the boot process in verbose mode and cycle through it frame by frame to see exactly which next is throwing the panic. Once you figure out which kext is causing the problem reboot to a prior version of the OS and replace that kext with the latest version. For my config, appleintelle1000e.kext caused the panic. Later, I experienced reboots after login caused by an older Realtek kext.

It just stops at "kextd stall [0], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'" I tried looking online for the related kext but couldn't find it or find what that correlates to.

It just stops at "kextd stall [0], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'" I tried looking online for the related kext but couldn't find it or find what that correlates to.

[RESOLUTION]: Not sure what I was thinking, but the EFI\Kexts\Other folder was empty which was causing the panic. Filled the folder with the necessary kexts and then re-downloaded and rebooted. Navigated to Boot MacOS from HD and then it updated for a little > Went to aforementioned Gray screen for a little > Auto reboot > Boot into HD > Finished update... Appreciate all whom attempted to help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 2.21.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 2.21.07 PM.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 189
Update went smoothly on my sig build. No problems at all so far. Did not even have to patch audio this time.
Hi, I know this isn't related at all, but do you have the link to the thread for the older multi-booting guide that involved gpt sync and I think it was Windows 8 as well?

Hey guys just thought I'd mentioned how I managed to install the old 106 driver. (using a gtx 980 on z170-A). I have read thru this thread and found some people like myself that used the German method yet the driver would not work. The Nvidia panel would report it was using the Webdriver, yet it looked exactly like the default macOS driver. (Yes I have emulated nvRam). I don't know anything about running scripts thru the terminal because I'm a total n00b so I had no idea how to force the 106 driver to work. I switched back to the macOS driver via the Nvidia panel and rebooted. Ran multibeast again and just installed the "uefi boot mode" under Quickstart. Rebooted. Ran multibeast again, this time I selected all my customizations for the build and reinstalled the "Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM". Rebooted. The 106 driver automatically loaded.
To summarize, I installed the 106 driver via the German method. Made sure macOS default driver was selected. Ran mutlibeast to essentially delete previous customizations. rebooted. Then reran multibeast again, this time with customizations (be sure to included "emulate nvram"). Reboot and the 106 driver should automatically load. Hope this was helpful to other noobs out there that had the same issue.

Just did a relatively painless update from 10.13.2 to 10.13.3 on a GA-Z170X-UD5 | i7 6700K | GTX 950 (iMac 14,2). It seemed as though most issues in the forum were around the GTX video card, so I unplugged it, updated, then plugged it back in and installed the current nVidia drivers. I haven't noticed any degraded video performance.

[update]
After a few days of use I did feel that the video had a very slight stutter. I used nvidia-update.sh to roll back to the .106 version of the nVidia driver, which fixed the problem. Also, i realized after plugging in an audio amp at the back panel that I didn't have any audio on the Internal Speakers port (green jack). Running audio_cloverALC-130.command_v0.3 fixed the problem.

Last edited:
I was stuck for a while trying to update from 10.13.1, but finally managed to resolve it all and reach 10.13.3.

Initially the problem was my machine would stall after restarting for the update and launching from the "Install Mac OS X" option. It wouldn't begin the actual installation, so it would allow my machine to restart and continue functioning.

Verbose mode revealed progress stopped at:
kextd stall[3], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'
IOConsoleUsers: time(0_ 0->0, lin 0 lik 1,
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

In the process of troubleshooting, I updated Lilu.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and updated Clover without resolving the issue. The issue was completely solved by properly including FakeSMC.kext in the clover part of the EFI partition, as mentioned in the first post of this thread.

(I decided it was worth posting because I noticed the solution as merely one of several trouble-shooting options. I didn't find an explicit connection between this error and this solution when I was searching for it.)

Question, is this something outside of what is included in multibeast?

I was stuck for a while trying to update from 10.13.1, but finally managed to resolve it all and reach 10.13.3.

Initially the problem was my machine would stall after restarting for the update and launching from the "Install Mac OS X" option. It wouldn't begin the actual installation, so it would allow my machine to restart and continue functioning.

Verbose mode revealed progress stopped at:
kextd stall[3], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'
IOConsoleUsers: time(0_ 0->0, lin 0 lik 1,
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

In the process of troubleshooting, I updated Lilu.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and updated Clover without resolving the issue. The issue was completely solved by properly including FakeSMC.kext in the clover part of the EFI partition, as mentioned in the first post of this thread.

(I decided it was worth posting because I noticed the solution as merely one of several trouble-shooting options. I didn't find an explicit connection between this error and this solution when I was searching for it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back