Contribute
Register

macOS 10.13.3 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed flawlessly once I waited for the nvidia drivers to be available.
The trick I use is that every kernel extension that I install are on my EFI partition, both in 13.x and Others.
This way both the system and the installer boot directly, and they are never overwritten by any system update.

I know that some people prefere to install them in /S/L/E or /L/E, but it works fine with me.

YMMV :)

My build is listed on my profile. Here is my experience of this patch:

1) First, I created USB installer for High Sierra. Just in case, update screws up, I can use installer and restore the machine from Time Machine backup
2) However, the USB would not boot the machine and would always crash. I have two monitors connected to GeForce GT 740, and integrated graphics is not being used.
3) I disconnteced both monitors, and conncted one monitor to the integrated display, but machine would still crash when I tried to boot using USB. I even tried updating drivers using clover on USB, but no luck.
4) Finally, I removed the NVidia card from the machine, and voila the machine boots with USB.
5) With that comfort level, I booted the machine again from SSD, and went ahead with the upgrade. The upgrade went very smooth, with no errors.
6) No issues with sound and it kept working.
7) After reboot, I had to install updated NVidia web drivers.
8) Reinserted NVidia card and put the machine back in original hardware config.

Moral of the story, NVidia card was causing the issue. Minus that card, upgrade works as good as native Mac.

Hope this information is useful for fine folks on this forum.

Thank you tinkertwain. I followed your great idea & had success with first removing GPU before updating to 10.13.3. An addition to step #1 is to clone the boot drive and test 10.13.3 + NVIDIA driver before doing the final install on actual boot drive. Testing a clone adds time but will preserve a working machine if the update doesn't go right. I lost sound with 10.13.3 and CloverALC-130 script repaired it. After updating real boot drive then reinstalling GPU, boot-up time is significantly reduced and everything seems fast.

What the heck is up with these last few updates?

Thank you tinkertwain. I followed your great idea & had success with first removing GPU before updating to 10.13.3. An addition to step #1 is to clone the boot drive and test 10.13.3 + NVIDIA driver before doing the final install on actual boot drive. Testing a clone adds time but will preserve a working machine if the update doesn't go right. I lost sound with 10.13.3 and CloverALC-130 script repaired it. After updating real boot drive then reinstalling GPU, boot-up time is significantly reduced and everything seems fast.

kextd stall (240) AppleACPICPU......Can you help me?

Another smooth update from within app store. No Nvidia lag here btw.

Everything is working fine but hwmonitor and system info has the processor speed as over 9ghz.
I've read somewhere that could be a bug in latest FakeSMC plugins. Remove them and use Intel Power Gadget instead

kextd stall (240) AppleACPICPU......Can you help me?
Make sure to insert FakeSMC.kext in EFI/CLOVER/Kext/Other

Extrem slow after update.
update all nvidia cuda and webdrivers.
when i watch on youtube or windows resize lagy.

Others have said to disable hardware acceleration in the brower. Looks like a glitch with h265 streaming on hardware.

Extrem slow after update.
update all nvidia cuda and webdrivers.
when i watch on youtube or windows resize lagy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back