Motherboard
Hack Pro Custom
CPU
Core i7 6700k
Graphics
EVGA GTX960-ACX2.0
Mac
MacBook Air
What happens if you remove the Radeon R9 270 graphics and use only the HD4600 IGPU?

(My builds use ASUS MoBos with HD4600 or HD630 graphics and they work well, except for the ALC887 audio on 10.13.2.)

Best'
NZRichard
I tried popping out my geforce 960 and booting but it didn’t work.

Also tried uninstalling the GeForce drivers before boot. Also didn’t work.

I think there is something else going on in 10.13.3 besides just nvidia driver problems.

Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I tried popping out my geforce 960 and booting but it didn’t work.

Also tried uninstalling the GeForce drivers before boot. Also didn’t work.

I think there is something else going on in 10.13.3 besides just nvidia driver problems.
My early builds with ASUS Z97-A MoBos had similar problems to yours. According to the Verbose (-v) boot flag, the Intel i218V built-in Ethernet and the RealTek sound would cause KPs. My fix was to disable both the Intel i218V and the audio in the UEFI BIOS, after that the install and reboot worked fine. After that I would use MultiBeast to install the Ethernet and Audio drivers and then make sure system would boot OK. After that I enabled the Ethernet and Audio in the BIOS and then everything worked fine. Funny thing was I never read about these problems from people with GigaByte MoBos, which has me thinking the ASUS boards are a little quirky for OS X. Anyways, have been doing OK with several ASUS MoBos running 10.12.6 & 10.13.1/10.13.2.

My ASUS H270M-PLUS MoBo build runs OS X 10.13.1/10.13.2 OK. My Z97M-PLUS build runs OS X 10.12.6 OK.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Hack Pro Custom
CPU
Core i7 6700k
Graphics
EVGA GTX960-ACX2.0
Mac
MacBook Air
My early builds with ASUS Z97-A MoBos had similar problems to yours. According to the Verbose (-v) boot flag, the Intel i218V built-in Ethernet and the RealTek sound would cause KPs. My fix was to disable both the Intel i218V and the audio in the UEFI BIOS, after that the install and reboot worked fine. After that I would use MultiBeast to install the Ethernet and Audio drivers and then make sure system would boot OK. After that I enabled the Ethernet and Audio in the BIOS and then everything worked fine. Funny thing was I never read about these problems from people with GigaByte MoBos, which has me thinking the ASUS boards are a little quirky for OS X. Anyways, have been doing OK with several ASUS MoBos running 10.12.6 & 10.13.1/10.13.2.

My ASUS H270M-PLUS MoBo build runs OS X 10.13.1/10.13.2 OK. My Z97M-PLUS build runs OS X 10.12.6 OK.

Thanks for sharing.
I have a gigabyte z170x-ud5 but I guess I will try disabling all internal features like Ethernet and audio and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is the the post I made descibing my issue. Haven’t gotten any replies yet, so I’d appreciate it if you could read through and give me your thoughts over there!

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/kernel-panic-after-updating-to-10-13-2.243776/#post-1684866

Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is the the post I made descibing my issue. Haven’t gotten any replies yet, so I’d appreciate it if you could read through and give me your thoughts over there!

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/kernel-panic-after-updating-to-10-13-2.243776/#post-1684866
My apologies, I think I had you confused with 'Jaffers' who is using an ASUS Z97-A MoBo, I have no experience with GigaByte MoBos for OS X. You may get more help if you stay in this thread rather than starting a new thread for the same topic.

Motherboard
Gigabyte H370M-D3H-Clover
CPU
i3-8350K
Graphics
RX 570, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
iOS
well, that was an experience. Downloaded the combo update. My steps, started with placing the apfs file update. Try installer, doesn't look exactly right as I don't get anything that says installing update. eventually timesout and I go to a white screen. Update fakesmc kext - I swear I put it in the correct folder (hint, I didn't). tried multiple times and got the same result - white screen. Stepped through the instructions, one more time, I get into the installer, but I get the MacOS update can't be installed. Updated clover to 4411. Same thing. Deleted the update files. Redownloaded the combo updater...bingo bongo, it works. Whew. Only had to reinstall sound. I was having some problems were Wifi was crapping out after about 10 minutes. We'll see how this goes, now that I'm on 10.13.2.

On to the next update...

Motherboard
ASUS B85M-G
CPU
intel i3 4160
Graphics
GTX 1050TI
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android,
I followed post but I got this error can anyone help me?
IMG_20180211_115451.jpg

EDIT:

Finally able to boot With full acceleration.(GTX 1050 Ti)

What I did:
Restored the High Sierra 10.13.0 backup.(I always backup before update to my portable HDD)

Before Installing Update:
  1. Uninstalled NVIDIA Driver.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Install Updates(macOSUpdCombo10.13.2 and macOSUpd10.13.3)

After Installing Updates and Before installing Nvidia driver:
  1. Mount EFI Partition
  2. Open clover configurator
  3. Go to RT Variable tab
  4. In CsrActiveConfig text field change value to 0x0
  5. Changed system definitions to iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)
  6. Reboot
  7. Install the Nvidia web driver(WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156)
  8. In CsrActiveConfig text field change value to 0x67
  9. Reboot
Broken:
  1. Audio
  2. Wireless adaptor driver
Other Info:
  1. No need Lilu and Nvidia Fix kext
Screenshots:
Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 9.24.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
x79-UP4
CPU
Graphics
550ti
Mac
Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Wow, that was the easiest hackintosh upgrade (from 10.13.1) I've experienced so far. Downloaded the upgrade image from first post in this thread, ran the upgrade, rebooted, bang, upgrade worked flawlessly with no hitches.

What helped immensely is moving all kexts out from /L/E (or /S/L/E) and into the Clover directory. Allowing Clover to inject kexts makes everything so much easier, and this upgrade was no exception.
I'm going to safely assume that you know what you're doing and realise that A.Copying any Apple kexts from SLE to E/E pre-update is essentially rolling back that kext because post update Clover will force the E/E kext to be treated as the newest and overwrite the updated SLE Kexts.
Aa. Rolling back just 1 kext where unnecessary creates fragmentation and bugs as it's modifications were not made for no reason. Rolling back more creates a System/User divide in which the Userspace is up to date and the underlying system is versions older. You should avoid new features for there's no guarantee they will work safely.
B. Copying All Apple kexts as you have is the same as not updating period. Really, your live injecting your old kernel image over your new by erasing the modernized one. Should you be interested in the actual content of the update (like eGPU in 13.4 for example), it's almost guaranteed not to work.
C. There are certain sites that were really just fans of tony, etc. They try very hard to dream up ways of doing things in ways that are easier than us but buggy and dangerous (as in the final macOS install is not robust). I have seen this suggestion on one such site and just want it on record that others should not do this without knowing they will need to remove the kexts that do not directly relate to hardware at least to have truly even started the update; all problems with the update will be hidden until that point, because you rolled back its link to your hardware.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z270G Gaming
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm going to safely assume that you know what you're doing and realise that A.Copying any Apple kexts from SLE to E/E pre-update is essentially rolling back that kext because post update Clover will force the E/E kext to be treated as the newest and overwrite the updated SLE Kexts.
Aa. Rolling back just 1 kext where unnecessary creates fragmentation and bugs as it's modifications were not made for no reason. Rolling back more creates a System/User divide in which the Userspace is up to date and the underlying system is versions older. You should avoid new features for there's no guarantee they will work safely.
B. Copying All Apple kexts as you have is the same as not updating period. Really, your live injecting your old kernel image over your new by erasing the modernized one. Should you be interested in the actual content of the update (like eGPU in 13.4 for example), it's almost guaranteed not to work.
C. There are certain sites that were really just fans of tony, etc. They try very hard to dream up ways of doing things in ways that are easier than us but buggy and dangerous (as in the final macOS install is not robust). I have seen this suggestion on one such site and just want it on record that others should not do this without knowing they will need to remove the kexts that do not directly relate to hardware at least to have truly even started the update; all problems with the update will be hidden until that point, because you rolled back its link to your hardware.
There's perhaps some misunderstanding I think? This site recommends all hackintosh-related kexts to be put into the Clover directory (so Clover can manage injecting the kexts) - that is what I did. Not all kexts, that'd be silly, just the hackintosh-related ones. Perhaps that's the misunderstanding?

Obvious Answer Man

Super Moderator
This site recommends that other than FakeSMC all kexts go in the Apple recommended location /Library/Extensions. MultiBeast installs FakeSMC in /Library/Extensions and /EFI/CLOVER/KESTS/Other.

Motherboard
x79-UP4
CPU
Graphics
550ti
Mac
Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
@WilliamLondon yup sorry assumed you'd copied the whole SLE to clover. It happens to make updates work every time

Recommendations are actually as follows. Fake SMC should ALWAYS BE IN CLOVER, along with any completely system critical kexts including manually edited Apple ones that you can't safe mode without. Just think of all the kexts that you need to pass DSMOS or other verbose mode errors in safe mode.

This is for one reason and one reason only, when you update your system will boot and you can apply the edits to the new updated Apple kexts in Extensions then verify (by skipping old kext in clover boot, not deleting), then replace the Extras copy. Also, FakeSMC is better in Extensions because updates are applied correctly, but significantly worse because a reinstall without an illegal distro (that auto installs an old FakeSMC) is impossible. In the event of a bad update it's square one for you when time to reinstall.

Many kexts that latched off other kexts, like Lilu, cannot work fully unless they are in the same location as the kexts they help (NV** and AMD** kexts). Many Apple kexts (like said video kexts) cannot be removed from Extensions for the same reason: they will fail to link with Extension kexts that are not in the same folder and the "device"... in this case GPU is reliant on multiple linked kexts, that are directly strapped to WindowServer (a DSMOS encrypted app) and the kernel.

Your recommendation to keep things in SLE is good as long as your system doesn't need Apple kext modification. It's fragile though. Many people think it's safe if you're using clover patching instead of manual. It's not if you do any more injections than adding device IDs (E.G Trim Patch) as the new binary can have the same string in reference to completely different parts of the code. You should still keep a working modified kext handy should you catch a security update with changes to your file.