Contribute
Register

macOS 10.12.6 Update

If 10.13 is "bricking" your box, your kexts are requiring update (provided your Clover setup is correct as well) and/or relocation (from L/E to C/k/o for community kexts).

I got 10.12 working after updating the kexts. I was running some older versions... but ALSO although i had previously updated some kexts... i realized they were located in several locations.. and were getting picked up from the wrong location.

I now need to try moving to 10.13... but the bricking i was referring to earlier appears to relate to the NVME fix i had to include in 10.12. I believe NNVM's are now natively supported in High Sierra ? SO i have to work out HOW to backout that code.... or if i just have to update it to latest.

When i try to install, the first reboot brings up a whole bunch of crazy characters across the screen... and it hangs.

I didn't install with an NVME, so I cannot help with that.

My Lilu.kext and associated kexts such as hardware monitor, NvidiaFixUp etc are currently placed inside of my FakeSMC.kext inside a plugins folder. Does anyone know if i can simply copy the updated Lilu.kext into the FakeSMC plugins folder and then let Clover inject this? I can boot my machine with the -luluoff command otherwise it has the kernel panic.

thanks!

My Lilu.kext and associated kexts such as hardware monitor, NvidiaFixUp etc are currently placed inside of my FakeSMC.kext inside a plugins folder. Does anyone know if i can simply copy the updated Lilu.kext into the FakeSMC plugins folder and then let Clover inject this? I can boot my machine with the -luluoff command otherwise it has the kernel panic.

thanks!
No, you cannot do that at all.

All kexts must be placed in one of C/k/o, L/E, or S/L/E (that last is not recommended for community kexts - usually reserved for vendor/system kexts only). No kext can reside within another kext - that's not how they work (at least relative to these).

Move your Lilu, etc., out to C/k/o or L/E.

"-luluoff" is not a valid switch. "-liluoff" however, is.

No, you cannot do that at all.

All kexts must be placed in one of C/k/o, L/E, or S/L/E (that last is not recommended for community kexts - usually reserved for vendor/system kexts only). No kext can reside within another kext - that's not how they work (at least relative to these).

Move your Lilu, etc., out to C/k/o or L/E.

"-luluoff" is not a valid switch. "-liluoff" however, is.

Ok, thanks JC, so...

I currently have a FakeSMC kext inside C/K/O which has been working up to the last security update. This FakeSMC has a plugin folder inside of it which contains Lilu, NvidiaFixUp and some hardware monitoring kexts.

So, do you think if i simply download the latest FakeSMC from Rehabman, download the latest Lilu and respective hardware monitoring kexts and then place these loose in my C/K/O folder, this should update everything and hopefully work again?

Also not sure if i'm cool simply disabling Lilu with the -liluoff arg and continuing like that, seeing as all seems to work with that argument in place, but saying that i'd rather everything was up to date for future patches etc.

thanks in advance anyways dude for the help

Ok, thanks JC, so...

I currently have a FakeSMC kext inside C/K/O which has been working up to the last security update. This FakeSMC has a plugin folder inside of it which contains Lilu, NvidiaFixUp and some hardware monitoring kexts.

So, do you think if i simply download the latest FakeSMC from Rehabman, download the latest Lilu and respective hardware monitoring kexts and then place these loose in my C/K/O folder, this should update everything and hopefully work again?

Also not sure if i'm cool simply disabling Lilu with the -liluoff arg and continuing like that, seeing as all seems to work with that argument in place, but saying that i'd rather everything was up to date for future patches etc.

There is no reason to put other kexts inside FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins.
Silly waste of time and just causes confusion.

Ok, thanks JC, so...

Not correct placement of files.

As stated in previous reply: All kexts must be placed in one of C/k/o, L/E, or S/L/E (that last is not recommended for community kexts - usually reserved for vendor/system kexts only). No kext can reside within another kext - that's not how they work (at least relative to these).

Installing latest versions of the kexts in the right place should correct your problem.

With correct versions of kexts for your build, you should not need "-liluoff".

As stated in previous reply: All kexts must be placed in one of C/k/o, L/E, or S/L/E (that last is not recommended for community kexts - usually reserved for vendor/system kexts only). No kext can reside within another kext - that's not how they work (at least relative to these).

Actually, there are two "sets" of kexts:
"essential kexts": those you need to boot the installer/recovery
"all kexts you need": all of the kexts you need for your system

"essential kexts" are a subset of "all kexts you need".

"essential kexts" are copied to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
"all kexts you need" are installed to /L/E (on 10.11.x and later) or /S/L/E (prior to 10.11)

config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts="Detect" will make sure the kexts on EFI/Clover/kexts/Other are injected when needed.

You can read about it in post #2 of my Clover laptop guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Last edited:
I am running 10.12 and I m wondering is it safe to upgrade to the latest version of high sierra or should I first update to the latest version sierra and get everything working before moving to high sierra?

I am new to hakintosh so please bear with me. I read through the posts in this forum and people are taking about lilu kexts, is that something I need before upgrading? Is there a step by step guide I can follow along? Thanks

I am running 10.12 and I m wondering is it safe to upgrade to the latest version of high sierra or should I first update to the latest version sierra and get everything working before moving to high sierra?

I am new to hakintosh so please bear with me. I read through the posts in this forum and people are taking about lilu kexts, is that something I need before upgrading? Is there a step by step guide I can follow along? Thanks
My suggestion is to make sure everything is current before upgrading - from system "stuff" to installed software. There is no step-by-step guide as the essentials are: check all your kexts to make sure you have the latest versions, if there is anything "broken," fix that before upgrading, upgrade any installed software, then check the High Sierra install guide for anything you might need to know.

Back