Contribute
Register

macOS 10.12.6 Update

I tried to update the hackintosh I had built for me from 10.12.4 to 10.12.6 and seem to have completely messed something. In addition to that I managed to mess up the recovery drive as well. I'd like to wipe the hard drive clean and start over but when I boot to the USB drive I created and go into Disk Utility it doesn't show my existing SSD. I'm a complete noob and have tried searching the internet but after reading and watching a number of videos I'm unable to find a guide to help me start over. Any advice or places to look would be greatly appreciated. The screenshot attached shows where the boot fails after I attempted to update to 10.12.6. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 165
I would suggest making sure the NVidia card is NOT present in the system when you are trying to install it. Much easier to add that later after you have a working installation.

I would suggest making sure the NVidia card is NOT present in the system when you are trying to install it. Much easier to add that later after you have a working installation.

Yes, but first, reboot into your BIOS and make sure to change your graphics settings to IGPU, shutdown, swap cables from Nvidia card to motherboard graphics connector (DP, HDMI, etc.), reboot to make sure it works and THEN shutdown and remove your GTX980Ti.

Yes, but first, reboot into your BIOS and make sure to change your graphics settings to IGPU, shutdown, swap cables from Nvidia card to motherboard graphics connector (DP, HDMI, etc.), reboot to make sure it works and THEN shutdown and remove your GTX980Ti.
Except when you can't install the OS to begin with... ;)

Except when you can't install the OS to begin with... ;)
This has nothing to do with the OS - Windows or Mac. The BIOS is what he/she needs to take care of before ANY OS (or especially hardware - like graphics cards) is even installed - usually by pressing DEL on their keyboard. It's right there in the motherboard manual under "setup". Also, it would be a good idea for the OP to read through any of the guides posted in the forums here.

This has nothing to do with the OS - Windows or Mac. Your BIOS is what you take care of before ANY OS (or especially hardware - like graphics cards) is even installed - usually by pressing DEL on your keyboard. It's right there in the motherboard manual under "setup". Also, have you read through any of the guides posted in the forums here?
As a matter of fact, I've written my own guide.

The point I was making there is that, given the NVidia card is causing an issue on attempts to install the software, it is best to not have it physically present in the system. One would hope the OP would know to adjust his/her BIOS to point to the IGPU instead in order to get the OS installed before complicating it with the NVidia card.

One should not "swap cables," etc., in this case - just take the card out and start with a minimal build that is known to work. KISS principle at work.

Anyone help me solve this issue? Did the update though the App store and went to reboot and got this message. Any help is much appreciated!
photo_2018-01-24_01-07-24.jpg

Anyone help me solve this issue? Did the update though the App store and went to reboot and got this message. Any help is much appreciated! View attachment 308025

Your Lilu.kext is too old.
Update Lilu.kext to the latest.

Eventually, you wise up and update kexts prior to applying system updates.

Your Lilu.kext is too old.
Update Lilu.kext to the latest.

Eventually, you wise up and update kexts prior to applying system updates.
I appreciate the help. Sorry, I'm not a genius when it comes to this. How do you update the kext file? Thanks

Back