Contribute
Register

macOS 10.12.6 Update

Question to those updating to the iMac 18,3 system definition... what is the reason for this? Is there a performance benefit to be gained? Or is this simply to take better advantage of the Pascal graphics cards (which I don't have)?

Question to those updating to the iMac 18,3 system definition... what is the reason for this? Is there a performance benefit to be gained? Or is this simply to take better advantage of the Pascal graphics cards (which I don't have)?
I think the reason is to discover if there is a reason to do so... :lol:

I think the reason is to discover if there is a reason to do so... :lol:

Hmmmm... okay... that doesn't give ME a compelling reason to do so... but I'll wait and see what others who have done it have to say about it... ;)

Compatibility, stability and power management can be related to this...

Hmmmm... okay... that doesn't give ME a compelling reason to do so... but I'll wait and see what others who have done it have to say about it... ;)
Likely, given your system's components, you shouldn't need to go to 18,3. However, that doesn't mean there aren't some performance tweaks in there for systems like yours, though if my understanding of those sysdefs is correct, unless the 18,3 Macs use your hardware, you'll not gain anything from moving to such an SMBIOS.

Likely, given your system's components, you shouldn't need to go to 18,3. However, that doesn't mean there aren't some performance tweaks in there for systems like yours, though if my understanding of those sysdefs is correct, unless the 18,3 Macs use your hardware, you'll not gain anything from moving to such an SMBIOS.

Thanks, all. No sense inviting trouble for no gain. I'll stick with 14,2 for now!

Not true. Its better to go with a SMBIOS that matches your hardware. i.e iMac 14,2 has never had a Kabylake CPU neither has had HD630 Graphics.

Not true. Its better to go with a SMBIOS that matches your hardware. i.e iMac 14,2 has never had a Kabylake CPU neither has had HD630 Graphics.
I think that makes what I said accurate actually. My point was, if 18,3 doesn't support a given set of hardware, then better not to use it.

I have a Skylake processor and an older graphics card. So, 14,2 probably more closely matches my system. I'm told I'm also close to the 17,1 sysdef, but that is said to bring it's own problems without providing a performance boost.

Back