Contribute
Register

macOS 10.12.6 Security Update (2018-002)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This security update for Sierra was released along with 10.13.4 and I was wondering if it breaks video drivers and if NVIDIA has released a Web Driver update for this version.
It breaks the Webdriver but if you edit the old NVDAStartupWeb.kext (change the required build number) it still works.
Haven't checked in a while if they have released an updated driver though.

Last edited:
Hi @wolarts,

I downloaded the 2018-002 direct from apple as i always prefer a direct download, never through app store, at the same time i downloaded via the link on to Nvidia list supplied on the forum the driver '378.05.05.25f07' as @BreBo stated(thank you for that).

I finally had time today to take the plunge so to speak, 2018-002 installed fine, but as usual it reverted back to 'OSX Default Graphics Driver' on reboot, so i then installed the new Nvidia '378.05.05.25f07' rebooted and all good at present.

This is the version i am on now -:macOS 10.12.6 (16G1314)

System Spec's below-

ASUS PRIME H270-PRO
i5-7400
16 GB (4x4)Ballistix Sport LT
EVGA GTX 1050 SSC 2GB GDDR5
1 x SSD 90GB
3 x HDD 1TB
Apple Keyboard

I hope it went well for you, if you have done the update?

CIM :)

Previous security update left me in horror because of Lilu.kext breaking and causing a kernel. (fixed after a few hours of cursing and sweating)
Any issue reports on a similar problem with this update?

I didn't do the previous security update as I didn't feel confident with the NVIDIA web drivers situation. I just tried this new one and was able to boot after disabling the NVIDIA web drivers. Installing the new web drivers subsequently hosed everything as I feared.

I was able to recover, in about 30 minutes, using CCC from a clone I updated just before the process.

My /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 folder contains:

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
Lilu.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
VoodooHDA.kext

With my current setup everything seems fine...startup is quick, graphics works well...except for a jumpy mouse that I have to deal with.

What's the trick to be able to update macOS? Do I have to use my current NVIDIA web driver and "edit the old NVDAStartupWeb.kext"?

Not super related but for those of you looking to get nvidia on the hackintosh side you might want to consider an RX series AMD card. If you can get your hands on them they work OOB and are native past 10.12.6. No dependence and display glitches on the web drivers needed.

Hi @wolarts,

I downloaded the 2018-002 direct from apple as i always prefer a direct download, never through app store, at the same time i downloaded via the link on to Nvidia list supplied on the forum the driver '378.05.05.25f07' as @BreBo stated(thank you for that).

I finally had time today to take the plunge so to speak, 2018-002 installed fine, but as usual it reverted back to 'OSX Default Graphics Driver' on reboot, so i then installed the new Nvidia '378.05.05.25f07' rebooted and all good at present.

This is the version i am on now -:macOS 10.12.6 (16G1314)

System Spec's below-

ASUS PRIME H270-PRO
i5-7400
16 GB (4x4)Ballistix Sport LT
EVGA GTX 1050 SSC 2GB GDDR5
1 x SSD 90GB
3 x HDD 1TB
Apple Keyboard

I hope it went well for you, if you have done the update?

Thank you. I just installed from the App Store. Everything went fine. Got the Nvidia driver message after auto reboot and went through the auto update process from the Nvidia control panel. No issues to report.

Previous security update left me in horror because of Lilu.kext breaking and causing a kernel. (fixed after a few hours of cursing and sweating)
Any issue reports on a similar problem with this update?

No issues to report here yet, will update if anything starts to play up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back