Contribute
Register

MacOS 10.11.1 El Capitan on Dell Optiplex 3010 (SFF) (remaining problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
MacOS 10.11.1 El Capitan on Dell Optiplex 3010 (SFF) (fixed most problems)

Hi,

I have successfully installed El Capitan on a Dell Optiplex 3010 with the following hardware using this guide: UniBeast: Install OS X El Capitan on Any Supported Intel-based PC

Unibeast Configuration (very basic):
  • UEFI
  • No graphics card injections

CPU: Intel Core i3 3.3Ghz
RAM: Samsung 1600Mhz 8GB DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD 4000 (onboard, used temporarily for initial setup)
2nd Graphics (no name) Nvidia GF210 1024M (used permanently)
Bluetooth (dongle): CSR8510 A10
Ethernet: RealtekRTL8168E-VL
Mainboard: Dell 042P49 (according to clover)

See attached lspci output for some more info.

Current Status:
  • I followed instructions from the guide site until step 4 (completed)

• USB (mouse/keyboard) work in installer but not after regular MacOS boot.
    • I fixed it temporarily by going into clover boot configuration -> DSDT Flags -> fix USB
  • Audio does not work after MacOS boot
  • MacOS 10.11 does not boot from hard drive
    • for now I boot from USB with clover, set DSDT Flag to fix USB and select the hard drive
    • When following the Unibeast Install Guide for MacOS 10.11 at step 5.13, when I install Clover_v2.3k_r3320_UEFI.pkg and Clover Configurator (configure as described in guide) then reboot, MacOSX installation breaks. I can no longer boot using steps 5.1-5.4
    • -> I had to reinstall MacOS a second time, this time stopping after installation of El Capitan Post-Install Tools, only installing CustoMac Essentials not Clover_v2.3k_r3320_UEFI.pkg
  • The Intel HDA4000 integrated graphics card second VGA connector does not work -> no second display detected.
    • I tried to fix it by using a low profile nvidia GF210 1024M graphics card
    • The card works on clover boot screen
    • However MacOS Boot turns black after approx. 75% of the status bar and reboots.
    • I tried
      • GraphicsEnabler=Yes, GraphicsEnabler=No -> no change
      • Fixed GF210 graphics card with working dual display setup using following Clover boot options
        • Graphics Injector menu -> InjectNvidia [+]
        • This gets the graphics card working, BUT breaks the USB fix
      • Fixed USB & graphics card with the following procedure:
        • Connected USB cable to an external USB hub
        • Clover Options -> DSDT fix mask 0x000010000 (Fix USB)
        • Graphics Injector menu -> InjectNvidia [+]
        • PCIDevices -> USB Ownership [+]

Overall I am very satisfied to have this mackintosh running (pretty well).
Its main purpose was to have a MacOS machine for a proof of concept to integrate it into an existing Linux/Windows network with OpenLDAP authentication and network users (success!).

However I really would like to use it a bit more, for that I have to solve one (main) problem.
  • -> Get MacOSX to boot from the hard disk with all the applied clover boot options (please help).

Thank you for this, great resource.

Roman

Attachments

• lspci.txt
    1 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
I have the same PC and am having problems installing El Capitan using Clover... Are you using any specific boot args to get to the install window?

BIOS A16, usual settings for OS X, latest Clover, booted perfectly fine & installed OK (10.11.3) with files from Optiplex 3020 in thread in Dell Desktops forum at o_s_x_l_a_t_i_t_u_d_e (post #25)
Just had to replace stock 2nd gen CPU with i3-3225 from ebay

I did not get any of the problems described (all works fine, boots from HD, graphics - using nVidia 210, Ethernet)
On audio VoodooHDA install I get KP, most likely need to edit DSDT.aml

EDIT
Re-installed 10.11.6, once installed removed the dsdt.aml completely (not for this hardware & in fact not needed). ALL that I tested so far works, VoodooHDA installs/works fine but had to install it THREE times, two KP, 3rd installed ok, updated to latest Security Update 2016-002

Perfect hack for under £100

Last edited:
anyone tried installing sierra on OP3010?

I've got a perfect Sierra running on OptiPlex 3010 SFF, but haven't succeeded with High Sierra yet ;(
Hammid, can you give us a quick detail on what you did? I've just purchased a 3010 and excited to hear that you got Sierra working.

@pharsake, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back