Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you are right secure boot is enabled how do I disable it?
I have searched for it and I have no option to disable it. That option is grey...

Attachments

• 3EB0D24E-A702-4533-BA61-FDCA3E60C95E.jpeg
    3EB0D24E-A702-4533-BA61-FDCA3E60C95E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Secure boot disabled, and now the machine boots, not directly yet but choosing the boot in bios it boots... another step in th right direction even if I say it myself...

Good day to all,
Today I'm here because I have 3 problems left to solve and they are the following:
1 - As I said in my post before this the machine don't boot directly to macOS.
2 - After Sleep wen awake the monitor turns green and flicks during a few seconds.
3 - The symbol of OpenCore is very big at startup.
Could anyone help me fine tune this problems?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • config.plist.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 52
Good day to all,
Today I'm here because I have 3 problems left to solve and they are the following:
Are you loading Big Sur? The screen shot shows "Big Sur" I know my steps will only work for Catalina 10.15.6. (It will probably work for x.x.7). Is this the new interface for the latest OpenCore? Mine just shows a text interface and no icons by default. I'm running 0.6.1. I can't help you if you're trying Big Sur Beta and I'm not going to try until Big Sur is at least out of beta, if not a x.x.1 version

@pastrychef or @UtterDisbelief Has anyone gotten this board to work on Big Sur in the community? I did a Google search and a search on this site and found nothing concluding that.

EDIT: I took a quick look at your config.plist.
  • I don't know if your "iMac20,2" model name will work or not. As far as I know, there is no tested 20,2 for this board.
  • This is listed in your config under PlatformInfo --> Generic --> SystemProductName
  • To eliminate variation for troubleshooting purposes and if you are using my instructions for OC, you should use "iMac19,1"
  • Note you'll have to generate the following also under Generic: SystemSerialNumber, SystemSerialNumber, and you might have to create a new MLB though I'm not sure.
  • Use the instructions from the official OpenCore web site for this. (I'm guessing you already know how to do this since these numbers look valid at first glance).
  • Also note, if you plan to use iMessage/iServices with this PlatformInfo, you should keep it confidential and remove it when posting config.plist/EFI so no one get access to your iServices.
  • I did post my EFI for comparison sake on this post for @mhmacgre here.
  • Note that I have removed confidential PlatformInfo and you'll have to fill that stuff in yourself as suggested.

Last edited:
Hi @PhantomSlapESQ ,
Yes I'm using macOS Big Sur and it works, not well as intended, but with a few difficulties and annoyances it works... I know that in this forum Betas are experimental to day the least, and your help was essential to install it.
I'm following your suggestion and changing the SMBIOS to 19,1 for comparison and fine tune the machine, with your help we can do it, LOL ...
Let me tell you that I'm using macOS Big Sur since day one, and it is almost stable from day one, after the devs found a way to install it in our hacks, but that is only my opinion...
I'm using open canopy from OC with icons in resources, and yes I'm using OC 0.6.2.
I'll make that changes and upload again my config.plist and see if it changes anything in terms of stability...
My sincere thanks...

PS: I forgot to tell you that the stretched icons happens in windows too at boot and then it stabilizes and all is well, but the great annoyance is that the machine don't boot directly to macOS, gives error and I have to press F1 to enter the bios and choose the boot manually, annoyingggg ...

Last edited:
Yes I'm using macOS Big Sur and it works, not well as intended, but with a few difficulties and annoyances it works... I know that in this forum Betas are experimental to day the least, and your help was essential to install it.
I'm following your suggestion and changing the SMBIOS to 19,1 for comparison and fine tune the machine, with your help we can do it, LOL ...
So you pretty much used my instructions with iMac20,2 and Big Sur and it worked? Only difference was the Open Canopy? I guess if it is working fine, why fix it? I guess I thought you still couldn't boot into it, but I think I misread something! You can always save your working "stable" EFI and give it a shot to fine tune it. (I have several saved with versioning).

Perhaps Open Canopy isn't allowing you to boot to choose? I have no familiarity with it. I think you can get rid of the countdown on the normal boot menu. Currently, mine is always selected on what was used last or what I pick in the Startup Disk (in either macOS or Windows Boot Camp).
I'll make that changes and upload again my config.plist and see if it changes anything in terms of stability...
My sincere thanks...
Yes, I'd be curious to see what you've done if anything different for Big Sur. And you're welcome. I'm glad my struggles helped you too!

PS: I forgot to tell you that the stretched icons happens in windows too at boot and then it stabilizes and all is well, but the great annoyance is that the machine don't boot directly to macOS, gives error and I have to press F1 to enter the bios and choose the boot manually, annoyingggg ...

You should maybe try bootstrap? I'm not sure if this would work. But I thought it might work automatically

Hi @PhantomSlapESQ ,
Sorry, it took me a while to solve most of my problems, it happens that my boot problems was caused by my CPU cooler that gave me errors at boot because the fan didn't have the right rotation speed, that caused not only the annoying msg of fan error, but it prevented the machine to boot right way to macOS.
Changed the SMBIOS to 19,1 and it make no difference it sleeps but when it awakes the screen is bright green during a couple os seconds.
Besides that i have no problems to report and yesterday i updated with apple store to Big Sure Beta 10 with a few inconveniences but all went well.
Below i attach my config.plist with 19,1 SMBIOS, but the only thing different is the SMBIOS.
Thank You

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 56
Hi there,
I was redirected to this thread because I'm having problems installing MacOS on the motherboard of the title.
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)
CPU: Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60 GHz
RAM: x2 Corsair 16384MB 2133MHz (Could probably get the exact model but don't have it at hand right now)
NVME: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB
I was wondering if the NVMe is not compatible with MacOS because the boot from the usb stick works fine, but when there is only 2 minutes left to complete the installation, the whole computer freezes.

Thanks in advance

I was wondering if the NVMe is not compatible with MacOS because the boot from the usb stick works fine, but when there is only 2 minutes left to complete the installation, the whole computer freezes.
I don't know anything about NVMe as I haven't tried to install one. However, the official OpenCore guide which is generally definitive and up-to-date calls out certain troublesome NVMe models and that it generally appears to be a pain to use this type of storage:

Edit: If you don't think it's an issue after reading that, it's probably the iGPU since I noticed you haven't listed your graphics card. This is the same problem I had since I only use iGPU (which is the default card that comes with your CPU). I have a guide to deal with this issue for Catalina a few posts back and it's helped a few other people. This board doesn't play nice when using only the iGPU in Catalina and Big Sur.

I have Big Sur installed in an NVMe M2 Crucial 500GB SSD, and all works, as it should. I read that the most problematic until the firmware update were the Samsung 970 Pro, but after the firmware update it was fixed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back