Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @UtterDisbelief
Thanks for your response, if I use an USB installer it boot until the first reboot, and then black screen until I shut it down.
If I boot with an SSD with macOS installed it boot until the first reboot and then black screen until I shut it down... it's an endless loop...
It has been the same since I bought this mobo 4-5 moths ago. My last solution is to sell it and buy another but I wanted to try another brand of motherboard.

The problem isn't the boot, because it boots until the first reboot, and then with verbose or without it, I don't have a log... and I use OpenCore.

Last edited:
Hi @UtterDisbelief
Thanks for your response, if I use an USB installer it boot until the first reboot, and then black screen until I shut it down.
If I boot with an SSD with macOS installed it boot until the first reboot and then black screen until I shut it down... it's an endless loop...
It has been the same since I bought this mobo 4-5 moths ago. My last solution is to sell it and buy another but I wanted to try another brand of motherboard.

The problem isn't the boot, because it boots until the first reboot, and then with verbose or without it, I don't have a log... and I use OpenCore.

Definitely take @UtterDisbelief 's advice. You need to turn on verbose logging to see where the install is stopping. You don't know what's happening until then. Most likely its an iGPU issue if you're trying to install Catalina.

If you use this guide (the original post in this thread), it will only work for Mojave, and even then you must follow it closely making sure you put the patches in the right place. I wasn't able to get Clover to work for Catalina, though it is probably possible, I wouldn't recommend it. Most people who have gotten this to work successfully with Catalina and Clover in this thread have a separate dGPU (discrete GPU).

Have you tried the guide I created specifically for those using only the iGPU and trying to install Catalina? @mhmacgre confirmed it worked and has a similar setup to both of us. Being deliberate with installing OpenCore and taking your time is key and will ultimately save you time in the long run. Then you'll have a solid machine working very reliably.

I was watching a few episodes of The Boys at the same time :)
Dude, LOVE The Boys! Great show. I just discovered that myself.
I too am on 10.15.6 and have dual boot with windows.
My dual boot is still kinda weird, and I'm not sure why. Are you using Boot Camp and are you on two different HD/SSDs or on the same one? I currently have all macOS installs on one, and windows on another. I put Boot Camp on AFTER I installed a new copy of Win10 and it invalidated my key probably because OC spoofs the Serial and Mobo Number in Windows10.
My Old one is still running and has been in daily use since ~2012, solid as a rock.
That's great to hear that your older Hackintosh is super stable. I definitely use machines as long as possible, and of course I use this for work, and there can't be any weirdness! I was worried about that since I'm very new to this Hackintosh stuff.

Definitely take @UtterDisbelief 's advice. You need to turn on verbose logging to see where the install is stopping. You don't know what's happening until then. Most likely its an iGPU issue if you're trying to install Catalina.

If you use this guide (the original post in this thread), it will only work for Mojave, and even then you must follow it closely making sure you put the patches in the right place. I wasn't able to get Clover to work for Catalina, though it is probably possible, I wouldn't recommend it. Most people who have gotten this to work successfully with Catalina and Clover in this thread have a separate dGPU (discrete GPU).

Have you tried the guide I created specifically for those using only the iGPU and trying to install Catalina? @mhmacgre confirmed it worked and has a similar setup to both of us. Being deliberate with installing OpenCore and taking your time is key and will ultimately save you time in the long run. Then you'll have a solid machine working very reliably.

I confess the last time I mounted said mobo, was last week and with a new failure I unmounted it again annoyed with it all, because the results are always the same, at the beginning I wanted to install macOS Mojave it but it doesn't matter the version of macOS I want to install or the Bootloader I use, the results are the same black screen at the first reboot.
For the last time tomorrow I'm going to mount it again and follow your guide with clover and macOS Mojave, then we talk again...
Thank you...

I confess the last time I mounted said mobo, was last week and with a new failure I unmounted it again annoyed with it all, because the results are always the same, at the beginning I wanted to install macOS Mojave it but it doesn't matter the version of macOS I want to install or the Bootloader I use, the results are the same black screen at the first reboot.
For the last time tomorrow I'm going to mount it again and follow your guide with clover and macOS Mojave, then we talk again...
Thank you...

However you decide to get macOS on there, please make sure you take picture of the verbose install screen of where the install freezes. Since most of my issues were related to going to black screen (I'd see install text, and then the monitor would just go black and turn off), I had to take a video to catch the last line before it went black. But if you have a black screen issues, my guide will definitely fix that anyway. You'll want to post a photo of your issue so people can help you on this forum.

Just to clarify:
  • The first message on this thread is MacMan's directions using Unibeast (Clover) and those exact directions will only work for Mojave and they must be followed exactly.
    • If you don't follow the patching, it will freeze but should not "black screen" (unless there is another issue unrelated to the iGPU issue).
  • My post: Uses OpenCore for Catalina 10.15.6 and specifically addresses the "black screen" issue. My directions must also be followed closely. It will ultimately take much longer to do mine, but it will be better in the longrun and make it easier to get Big Sur when it's ready for release.
Good Luck!

Hi all,
Thanks to @PhantomSlapESQ im writing this in my new Asus TUF Z390 motherboard coming from a fresh install of macOS.
For the first time since I bought it I was able to install macOS following the instructions to the letter, and it worked.
That was a relief, thank you one more time...

Well now I have a new problem, after the install the motherboard never went directly to the bios and after some tinkering it don t boot appears the following msg. How do I solve this?

Attachments

• F3A0EF9B-BE80-495D-B139-3EE4B76DE3CC.jpeg
    F3A0EF9B-BE80-495D-B139-3EE4B76DE3CC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 43
Well now I have a new problem, after the install the motherboard never went directly to the bios and after some tinkering it don t boot appears the following msg. How do I solve this?
disable secure boot?

Yes and cleaned the secure keys too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back