Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deleted files ( is a typo, /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi should be /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi )
Updated clover and rebooted, all is well!
Thank you!
Thanks for finding the typo. I've updated the OP.

Actually, I've had 3 panic induced reboots now and a couple graphic freezes, mostly while playing a game that's under some crossover wrapper, world of tanks. One panic was during a reboot so I don't know that the game is related, maybe graphics are?

Re-installed the Emulated NVRAM version and removed the SSDT-PMC.aml and haven't had another panic or graphics freezing glitch so far.

[ EDIT ], finally had one graphics seizure after about 14 hours gaming, no panics so far but the graphics glitches at least are unrelated.

Last edited:
I have the motherboard ASUS Z390 TUF Gaming WiFi, not sure if the same instructions apply for Catalina?, I'm having trouble installing Catalina OS using the generic installation guide, I'm stuck in the loading progress (the one with the apple logo), it takes forever to finish and once it finishes nothing happens, the installation never starts, tried the same BIOS settings as described in your post.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Any advice will be very helpful, thx.

My specs are:

Core i5 8600K
Asus TUF Gaming (Wi-Fi) Z390
RX 570 ASROCK Graphics Card 4G
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8 3200MHZ
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2*8 3200 MHZ
H60 Corsair Liquid CPU Cooling
PNY SSD 256 GB

I have the motherboard ASUS Z390 TUF Gaming WiFi, not sure if the same instructions apply for Catalina?, I'm having trouble installing Catalina OS using the generic installation guide, I'm stuck in the loading progress (the one with the apple logo), it takes forever to finish and once it finishes nothing happens, the installation never starts, tried the same BIOS settings as described in your post.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Any advice will be very helpful, thx.

My specs are:

Core i5 8600K
Asus TUF Gaming (Wi-Fi) Z390
RX 570 ASROCK Graphics Card 4G
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8 3200MHZ
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2*8 3200 MHZ
H60 Corsair Liquid CPU Cooling
PNY SSD 256 GB

The advice from a couple pages back (look for Stork's posts) is to install Mojave and stick with it at least until MultiBeast for Catalina comes out. Mojave is still a very supported OS.

@MacMan
First of all, a big THANK YOU for the perfect guide!
I changed to the Asus Prime Z390-A after a lot of troubles with the Gigabyte
Z390-UD.
all is up and running fine now. - including my old VM's@ Fusion7

So I confirm the build for
i7-9700K
Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 850
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @3000 MHz memory
500GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD
750W Antec PSU

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 15.43.29.png

Best from Vienna, Austria
Ralph

Hint:
For those who are familiar with the command-line: ddrescue @ a linux box does the disk cloning perfect!
My 128GB tryout SSD was ready to use after 10 min without any additional work. :)

Last edited:
Hi, it's me again.

To get full hardware-acceleration, I found two possibilities:
  • change BIOS settings:
    Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphics Configuration -> Primary Display -> PCIE
    and
    Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphics Configuration -> iGPU Multi-Monitor -> Enabled
Doing it this way, you have a headless working iGPU
  • or in MultiBeast
    Customer > System Definitions > iMac > iMacPro1,1
this works with the standalone RX 580 and bootup is a little bit faster ;-)

For testing you can use:
VDADecoderChecker from here
and Videoproc as described there

Best from Vienna, Austria
Ralph

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, trying to do an install on this motherboard and having a lot of issues with crashing.

the crashes seem to have started happening from when I made the BIOS changes written in the guide for this motherboard, though it could be coincidental.

I installed the ACPI patch on the USB as per instructions.

I can now reach the installer, I choose language, erase drive in Disk Util, then start the installation, at about 75% the computer crashes. I put some tape on the screen and it seems it crashes at the same point every time.
I've noticed that the computer also crashes even in BIOS, and quite a lot.

I've tried resetting the motherboard (shorting the two pins) and started from scratch a couple of times, but get the same results.

Booting in safemode makes it crash before I reach the installer.

If anyone's got any ideas or have had similar problems with the same parts, I'd be very grateful to know.

The fact I'm getting lots of crashes in BIOS suggests I've got a bad part, but have no idea how I'd isolate it, so hoping it's just a BIOS setting that is wrong.

ASUS TUF Z390-Pro Gaming
I5-9400
CPU graphics for now
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz - 16GB (2x8)

hi there,

The fact I'm getting lots of crashes in BIOS suggests I've got a bad part,
Seems so. :cry:
Question:
Which BIOS version? - I use the latest, greatest.
Are you able to install other os‘s? I.E., any Linux?

Hint:
Try the install in verbose-mode, so you are able to see the last on-screen boot-message.

Hope it helps.
Best from Vienna, Ralph

Edit says:
once had strange boot errors after a transport of my machine. re-installing the CPU fixes all. :)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, trying to do an install on this motherboard and having a lot of issues with crashing.

the crashes seem to have started happening from when I made the BIOS changes written in the guide for this motherboard, though it could be coincidental.

I can now reach the installer, I choose language, erase drive in Disk Util, then start the installation, at about 75% the computer crashes. I put some tape on the screen and it seems it crashes at the same point every time.

I've tried resetting the motherboard (shorting the two pins) and started from scratch a couple of times, but get the same results.

If anyone's got any ideas or have had similar problems with the same parts, I'd be very grateful to know.

The fact I'm getting lots of crashes in BIOS suggests I've got a bad part, but have no idea how I'd isolate it, so hoping it's just a BIOS setting that is wrong.

ASUS TUF Z390-Pro Gaming
I5-9400
CPU graphics for now

Crashing in BIOS is not good.
run memtest86, errors there mean either these or maybe more.

memory is bad
cpu bad (rare) overheated ( see temps in bios )
memory controller bad, motherboard problem.

I've run into bad memory before, overheating, overclocking too much, bending pins on cpu installation. If memory it can usually be figured out by testing each stick, but RMA-ing everything might be simpler depending on your vendor.

ASUS TUF Z390-Pro Gaming
I5-9400
CPU graphics for now

Just a quick question - are you using a USB 2 port for the Install media or a USB 3? I made that mistake earlier on (not using a USB 2 port) which caused a fair bit of premature balding....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back