Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my parts for a comparable build yesterday. Should I install Mojave and upgrade to Catalina? Or can I adopt all the instructions for a clean Catalina install?
My recommendation is to install Mojave and stick with it for awhile.

If the urge to install Catalina is overwhelming, wait at least until 10.15.3 is released as most of the bugs will be corrected and drivers mature. However, Catalina (from what I've read) is not an "I want it now!" upgrade as it redesigned macOS. I'm betting it's like Leopard...couldn't wait for Snow Leopard.

I installed the ASUS_ACPI file correctly. (At least via timestamp I saw changes to the EFI directly on the USB drive.)

However, the install still ends in the forbidden sign. I tried verbose and safe mode, and, ultimately, the forbidden sign shows up with most of the text in the background garbled as soon as the forbidden sign appears.

I've triple checked to enable/disable anything applicable from the install guide within my BIOS. I would appreciate any other advise, including which mono to go with if I do ultimately return the GIGABYTE Z390 AURUS PRO WIFI.

GIGABYTE Z390 AURUS PRO WIFI
i5-9600K
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580
32GB RAM (16GBx2)
Samsung 500GB 860 EVO SSD

Hello guys, I have this same build working but I want to add a GPU, is it possible to add a RX5700? or should I stick with a RX 580/590? Thanks in advance.
The RX 5700 should be plug and play if you're running Catalina.

Thanks Stork, but I'm currently in Mojave, is it easy to update to Catalina?

Thanks.
While I've tested Catalina, I don't recommend it, yet. Wait until 10.15.3 is released to make sure all the major bugs are fixed and the 5700 drivers are "matured".
Also, be aware that Catalina changes the disk structure and security for non Apple approved kexts/drivers. (That's one of the reasons that MultiBeast hasn't been released yet.) If you upgrade to Catalina before MultiBeast for Catalina is release (real soon now), put your kexts/drivers in ...Clover/kexts/other.

The Sapphire RX 580 drivers in Mojave are mature. So, I'm not thinking about getting a 5700 series graphic card until next year. My RX 580's serve me well.

While I've tested Catalina, I don't recommend it, yet. Wait until 10.15.3 is released to make sure all the major bugs are fixed and the 5700 drivers are "matured".
Also, be aware that Catalina changes the disk structure and security for non Apple approved kexts/drivers. (That's one of the reasons that MultiBeast hasn't been released yet.) If you upgrade to Catalina before MultiBeast for Catalina is release (real soon now), put your kexts/drivers in ...Clover/kexts/other.

The Sapphire RX 580 drivers in Mojave are mature. So, I'm not thinking about getting a 5700 series graphic card until next year. My RX 580's serve me well.

Hello Stork,

Thanks for the input, when you say put kext/drivers you mean the ones used to install the system? If not where can I get the ones that I need to copy?

Also, when you say "..clover/kexts/other" to find that folder I need to mount my boot drive (Using Clover and mounting the unit) and look for that folder, is that correct?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Best regards.

[ Edit * this should have been in reply to @pyr0hu but I failed the internet ]
The path listed in clover configurator isn't the path to config.plist in EFI partition, maybe you're not editing the correct config.plist?

Last edited:
Hello Stork,

Thanks for the input, when you say put kext/drivers you mean the ones used to install the system? If not where can I get the ones that I need to copy?

Also, when you say "..clover/kexts/other" to find that folder I need to mount my boot drive (Using Clover and mounting the unit) and look for that folder, is that correct?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Best regards.
If you're happy with Mojave (I am), stay with Mojave as MultiBeast for Catalina is what you need and it's not ready, yet. It's obvious from your post above, you are not experienced enough to do a "Vanilla" install. I, too, am a fan of the Beasts and depend upon Uni/MultiBeast to get my macOS builds to run properly. So, wait awhile before upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back