Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

What would I need to change in this build if I am using the Asus ROG Strix Z390-E vs the PRO with the Intel Core i9-9900K? I've been having install issues after getting to post-installation (after installing everything the computer won't let me get past apple logo before crashing.

Thank in advance.

Not sure, but the settings should be almost identical.

You're probably getting the "hang" @MacMan is talking about though if you haven't applied the patches before rebooting after MultiBeast.

If you use UEFI version 2203 or later the system will hang during the boot of macOS at apfs_module_start:1393. @mattystonnie has created a patch that fixes this.

I've attached the patch file ASUS_ACPI in a .zip file that you can install using plistbuddy in Terminal after unzipping.

You will need to install the patch on your UniBeast drive and then on your destination disk after running MultiBeast. The command would look like this if Clover was just install to the destination:

Do a Verbose startup (add "-v" on Clover options on boot) to see where it fails and post back.

If you haven't done the ASUS_ACPI & ASUS_TUF_Z390_HD630 patches, it will crap out. I was pulling my hair out on that one until I saw this post!

@Ledfoot I'm thinking this was my problem. Now to sound like a complete noob. Why do I keep getting the error "Merge: Error Reading File: ASUS_ACPI"?
That is most likely due to the file ASUS_ACPI not being in the directory you are running the command from.

@MacMan this was the case thank you. @Ledfoot thank you for getting me on this path! Now I just need to get my Dell DW1560 Broadcom BCM94352Z to work...

Lol - that was exactly the same issue I had!

Let me know what you need to do to get the DW1560 Broadcom BCM94352Z working - I haven't got my bluetooth running yet and need some pointers myself...

macOS 10.14.5 shows the CPU as an i9-9900K when using iMac19,1

Still on NVRAM support in the latest version of the UEFI. Also once you update to 2411 there is no option to downgrade.

LAST UPDATE: Ok so after some hours trying stuff etc I made it! so if someone else is just as idiotic as I am this may help them, MAKE SURE YOU DOBLE, TRIPLE, QUADRUPLE CHECK the syntax in terminal... that's one thing... the other... install the ACPI and the ASUS patches before rebooting if you reboot things can get very ugly...
to do so copy both files to the desktop write ''cd desktop'' in terminal so you'll be in that folder.
then proceed with the commands posted by Macman.

I know it has been already mentioned in this thread that you must be sure to be in the folder etc. but for those who don't really know anything that can be a very big step, and I think that's the easiest way to do it.

to clarify, one of my problems is that I had 2 m.2 drives installed and made my second drive the Mojave installation, so the naming stuff was kinda wrong after rebooting and made a big mess, stared installation from 0 detached one of the drives to be sure I didn't failed again and then after everything was working I reinstalled de m.2 drive.

Now lets see if we can make bluetooth work, thank you everybody!!!

OLDPOST:
I already began installing etc, my bios is 2012 do I better update it? or keep with it? as you say that 2411 etc seems to be worst?
now im in post installation hope for the best, thank you for all the help guys!
BTW do i have to install the patch if I selected 19.1 it shouldn't be needed in that case isn't it?
UPDATE: didn't past the apple logo, so YES you need to install the patch...
I booted from usb to do the ASUS patch but i cant figure it out for the life of me...
I putted the file already everywhere and still no such file or directory O_O some help would be appreciated
EFI is mounted, trid ''cd volumes'' and then tried to enter the EFI volume to reach the clover subfolder by ''cd'' all the way until reach it, but I cant reach the directory, I suppose the EFI directory that I am trying to reach is actually the EFI on the ssd where mojave is installed so I don't know what to do... U_U

Now getting Merge: ''devices'' Entry does Not Exist, this is to big for me I think...

Last edited:
No speed increase with Vega 64?

The Vega is natively supported by the OS, and the system information recognizes the card properly.

Using Clover 4961. My mobo is ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (wifi) which requires emulated NVRAM. Mojave 10.14.5

I swapped out my previous RX580 for new Sapphire Vega 64. Did nothing but swap cards. Boots OK, but getting exactly the same results in Valley, FCPX, Geekbench, cinebench etc with the Vega as I did with the 580. No speed increase at all; no detectable difference.

So, I did a bit of snooping in my nvram.plist (emulation required by the mobo) and found
nvda_drv. 3100
<data>
MQA=
</data>

Being seriously confused as to why the Vega is performing exactly like the RX580, I went into my NVRAM.plist and -deleted- this entry:

<key>nvda_drv</key>
<data>
MQA=
</data>

Rebooted, and the entry has been -added back- into the nvram.plist!

That means nvda_drv has a non-zero value, so perhaps the OS is trying to load some default (non-existent) Nvidia driver?

Why is this entry there, and why is it added back if I delete it? Could there be something in my config.plist doing this? Some driver that should not be loaded?

This is weird. Any suggestions on where to start looking or debugging this?

(This is posted in another thread, but no there seems to have any idea, so I'm hoping @Stork or @Macmac have a suggestion or two. Thanks.)

Hello!
Finally, my machine is ready. I tried to install Mojave.
Mobo z390 tuf pro gaming
Cpu i7 9700k
BIOS version 2417
I did the same settings for UEFI.
But secure boot not able to change it's always enabled.
I tried 3 USB sticks Samsung 3.1/Kingston 2.0/sandisk 2.0 all of them 32GB.
The system can see the USB stick before I make the bootable drive by UniBeast, but, after that system, the never sees them. Also, I tried all the USB ports.
More than 8 hours trying. I'm mad. 11 time bootable drive. But every time the USB stick not detected by boot menu. :cry:

Attachments

• PicsArt_06-24-05.13.56.jpg
    PicsArt_06-24-05.13.56.jpg
    867.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back