Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this build to the T back in Septemberish. Worked like a charm after a few tweaks. Yesterday, I decided to upgrade to Catalina, and now I'm stuck with a black screen. Actually, it seems like the display just goes to sleep after booting. I've read that updating Clover fixes this. How to do it with a sleepy display? I don't know. Can anyone help? I'm desperate. Lol

I did this build to the T back in Septemberish. Worked like a charm after a few tweaks. Yesterday, I decided to upgrade to Catalina, and now I'm stuck with a black screen. Actually, it seems like the display just goes to sleep after booting. I've read that updating Clover fixes this. How to do it with a sleepy display? I don't know. Can anyone help? I'm desperate. Lol

Hey - same thing happened to me when I borked the update to Clover! Just start from scratch its faster and easier.

Previously, I had issues with DisplayPort blacking out unless I went back to an earlier SMBIOS. But the updated Clover and other driver changes seemed to have resolved that now!

Hey - same thing happened to me when I borked the update to Clover! Just start from scratch its faster and easier.

Previously, I had issues with DisplayPort blacking out unless I went back to an earlier SMBIOS. But the updated Clover and other driver changes seemed to have resolved that now!

Start from scratch? Noooooooo. I guess I could. Not sure how old my back up is. That really breaks my heart tho.

Updated with details of successful build/installation

Hi all, I've created a very similar build and have been attempting Mojave and Catalina installs all weekend. I wanted to exhaust all options that I understand and can follow from the various replies on this thread before seeking help.

Both Catalina and Mojave are freezing at 2 minutes remaining during the first stage of the macOS install (launched from Clover). The last line (photo also attached) of the install Log Window always states (in both Catalina and Mojave):

Code:
ROM Features returned: 3759137079
I'm not sure if this is significant. There's no log output after this when the freeze occurs.

HARDWARE
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming WI-FI (mATX)
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe
GPU: MSI RX 580 Armor 8G OC GDDR5
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
PSU: Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold Certified
Case: Thermaltake Core V21
WIFI/Bluetooth: Fenvi T919

Additionally I have a Crucial P1 SSD 1TB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe, on which to install Windows 10.
Noteworthy, this motherboard's M2_1 slot can support both PCIe and SATA whereas M2_2 can only support PCIe. If you have a SATA M.2 SSD, be sure to install it in M2_1.

BIOS/UEFI SETUP
Exit -> Load Optimised Defaults
Ai Tweaker -> Ai Overclock Tuner = XMP1
Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> CPU - Power Management Control -> CFG Lock = Disabled
Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> VT-d = Disabled
Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphics Configuration -> Primary Display = PCIE
Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphics Configuration -> iGPU Multi-Monitor = Enabled
Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> Connectivity mode (WiFi & Bluetooth) = Disabled
Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> Serial Port Configuration -> Serial Port = Off
Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> USB power delivery in Soft Off state (S5) = Disabled
Advanced -> USB Configuration -> XHCI Hand-off = Enabled
Advanced -> USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support = Disabled
Boot -> Secure Boot -> OS Type = Other OS
Boot -> Secure Boot -> Key Management -> Save all Secure Boot variables (this disabled secure boot)

See UPDATE-01 for additional settings.

ADDITIONAL INFO
- ASUS UEFI was upgraded from 2417 to 2606
- I disabled the onboard WiFi and Bluetooth because I have the Fenvi T919 installed
- ASUS_ACPI patch was applied to EFI on USB install drive for all attempts in Catalina and Mojave
- For Mojave I had to apply the date 030300002019 fix in Terminal before all install attempts
- No additional changes made to the default generated EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and patch
- SSD was provisioned with APFS and GUID Partition Map scheme
- SSD was erased (not repartitioned) before each install attempts
- I did not apply the enumlated NVRAM (Clover_v2.4k_r4920-UEFI-EmuNVR-UB.pkg.zip) as per post#1 of this thread

Attached is my Mojave EFI after last attempt (before I nearly threw the system out the window), and the Catalina EFI after the last attempt.

If anyone could help me with this installation I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all.

UPDATE-01: Solved 2-minute Freeze
See comment #6 here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-gaming-i7-9700k-rx-580.264723/#post-1862724
I reverted to all UEFI settings as per above with the addition of Above 4G Decoding = Enabled
I used UniBeast (for Catalina), applied ASUS_ACPI patch and then using Clover Configurator I applied the following:
- Checked: Fixshutdown
- Drivers: UEFI 64bit: ApfsDriverLoader-64, AptioMemoryFix-64, EmuVariableUefi-64 and VBoxHFS-64
- Kexts: Lilu, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen, AppleALC, USBInjectAll, IntelMausiEthernet
- SMBIOS: Product Name=iMac18,3, Bios Version=IM191.88Z.0058.B00.1705091711, Board-ID=Mac-CF21D135A7D34AA6
I chose not to setup WiFi during the "Setup" phase (after 2nd reboot).

I honestly do not know which of the above changes resolves the "2 minutes remaining" freeze at the first install process.
My system doesn't appear to boot from the USB without me having to press F8 each time. If I miss the window I have to reboot. Is this normal process? Should it be able to?

UPDATE-02: Fail to boot from SSD
After successful installation of Catalina from scratch on the above hardware with the above mentioned configuration, the following were confirmed before moving onto MultiBeast:
- CPU, RAM, iGPU, Radeon GPU, WiFi, Ethernet detected and looking correct
- Bluetooth verified as working
- Sound working; tested via HDMI and Bluetooth headphones

MultiBeast used with pretty much MacMan's settings (although I had VirtualSMC and not FakeSMC?).

This is resulting in a failing boot from SSD. I have to hard reset and then boot from USB again.

The progress bar under the Apple logo would advance extremely slowly but the system would never move beyond this screen (even when the progress bar was full)

UPDATE-03: Working/Complete
The reason for the failing boot from SSD was because I forgot to apply the ASUS_ACPI patch to the SSD, which was performed on the USB EFI (which is why that works!)

UPDATE-04: Docker and Virtualisation
Docker for mac simply wouldn't start. I have since made the following 2 UEFI/BIOS changes, which have resolved this issue:

Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technology = Enabled
Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> VT-d = Enabled

UPDATE-05: Dual Boot
I found it easier to simply remove the 970 Evo SSD from M2_1 slot which contains the macOS installation. I then created a Windows 10 Bootable USB using Rufus on Windows. (see earlier a mention regarding PCIe and SATA on this motherboard).
Keep CSM disabled. Many guides say to enable it, for me this caused issues.

Note: You cannot create this anymore using Boot Camp Assistant, and due to a file now being 4.4GB (bigger than what FAT32 supports), this is now generally an issue to achieve on macOS if you cannot write NTFS filesystems.

If you do need to do this from within macOS, EasyUEFI provide a free NTFS for Mac: https://www.easyuefi.com/ntfs-for-mac/ntfs-for-mac.html, so you could use that to format to NTFS with GUID Partition Map (GPT) and then:

Code:
$ hdiutil mount ~/Downloads/Win10_1909_English_x64.iso
$ cp -rp /Volumes/CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9/* /Volumes/WINDOWS10/

Once Windows 10 was installed, I simply reinstalled my 970 Evo SSD to M2_1 and changed to boot order in BIOS/UEFI to point to that device. I have yet to tidy up the boot options in Clover, but it works.

ISSUES
1. Sleep doesn't seem to work, causes the system to shutdown.
2. A normal shutdown or restart causes UEFI/BIOS to go into safe mode, have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to trigger restart and boot normally.

GEEKBENCH 4

Geekbench 4.png

Attachments

• Mojave EFI after install.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 93
  • Catalina EFI after install.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 87
  • mojave-freeze-log-focused.jpg
    10.1 MB · Views: 69
  • mojave-freeze-log-large.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 17.29.00.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 17.29.00.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hi all, I've created a very similar build and have been attempting Mojave and Catalina installs all weekend. I wanted to exhaust all options that I understand and can follow from the various replies on this thread before seeking help.

Both Catalina and Mojave are freezing at 2 minutes remaining during the first stage of the macOS install (launched from Clover). The last line (photo also attached) of the install Log Window always states (in both Catalina and Mojave):

Code:
ROM Features returned: 3759137079
I'm not sure if this is significant. There's no log output after this when the freeze occurs.

HARDWARE
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming WI-FI (mATX)
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 NVME
GPU: MSI RX 580 Armor 8G OC GDDR5
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
PSU: Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold Certified
Case: Thermaltake Core V21
Extra: Fenvi T919

BIOS/UEFI SETUP
Exit -> Load Optimised Defaults
Ai Tweaker -> Ai Overclock Tuner = XMP1
Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> CPU - Power Management Control -> CFG Lock = Disabled
Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> VT-d = Disabled
Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphics Configuration -> Primary Display = PCIE
Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphics Configuration -> iGPU Multi-Monitor = Enabled
Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> Connectivity mode (WiFi & Bluetooth) = Disabled
Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> Serial Port Configuration -> Serial Port = Off
Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> USB power delivery in Soft Off state (S5) = Disabled
Advanced -> USB Configuration -> XHCI Hand-off = Enabled
Advanced -> USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support = Disabled
Boot -> Secure Boot -> OS Type = Other OS
Boot -> Secure Boot -> Key Management -> Save all Secure Boot variables (this disabled secure boot)

ADDITIONAL INFO
- ASUS UEFI was upgraded from 2417 to 2606
- I disabled the onboard WiFi and Bluetooth because I have the Fenvi T919 installed
- ASUS_ACPI patch was applied to EFI on USB install drive for all attempts in Catalina and Mojave
- For Mojave I had to apply the date 030300002019 fix in Terminal before all install attempts
- No additional changes made to the default generated EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and patch
- SSD was provisioned with APFS and GUID Partition Map scheme
- SSD was erased (not repartitioned) before each install attempts

Attached is my Mojave EFI after last attempt (before I nearly threw the system out the window), and the Catalina EFI after the last attempt.

If anyone could help me with this installation I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all.
I had a lot of problems installing with XMP profile enabled.

Try disabling it and reinstalling.

I had a lot of problems installing with xmp profile enabled

try disabling it and reinstalliing.
Thanks for your suggestion. Keeping all else the same and changing the value from "XMP I" to "Auto", and, unfortunately, it crashed at this time "3 minutes remaining" with last log lines being:

Code:
osishelperd[667]: +[IA_IASBlessUtilities setEFIBackupBootDevice]: efi-boot-device isn't set
osiinstallersetupd[652]: disk26s1 is not convertible to APFS: You may install to this volume because it cannot be converted to Apple File System (APFS).
osishelperd[667]: Tried to remove quarantine bit for /Volumes/macOS Base System 1

Does anyone have throttling down issues with the native NVRAM? I don't remember having those problems with the emulated one. I'm rendering a lot of stuff. I have the a Noctua NH-d15 that sure can keep up. But, as soon as the Noctua gets on to business, the macOS is already throttling. O_O, Any help or ideas? It's taking forever.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 17.45.34.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 17.45.34.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 83
@MacMan do you have any issues with sleep/wake, and if you restart or shutdown does your BIOS enter safe mode on next boot?

Also, massive thanks to your guide, I've a very similar hardware setup (Z390M), and aside from those two relatively small issues, everything is working fantastic, so, thank you.

@MacMan do you have any issues with sleep/wake, and if you restart or shutdown does your BIOS enter safe mode on next boot?

Also, massive thanks to your guide, I've a very similar hardware setup (Z390M), and aside from those two relatively small issues, everything is working fantastic, so, thank you.
Don't know as I never let it sleep.

Success: Thank you MacMan and others.
Had some challenges with ASUS_ACPI patches, but once I figured that out everything worked fine.
All settings exactly as listed in the guide. I added the Fenvi FV-HB1200 mainly for Bluetooth. Have not added the GPU yet but plan to do that pretty soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back