Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MacMan - I'm stumped. I never make it to the graphics screen (with the apple). A photo of the freeze console log is attached

I've reverted to the on-board video and removed my RX 580. I'm running an i5-9600K instead of your processor, and my SSD is a Samsung SSD860 EVO (.5TB). I do have other discs attached, but I'm not using them for Mojave.

I've re-formatted my USB stick and rebuilt it; thinking that perhaps something leftover is getting me. didn't help.
I'm attaching my EFI folder, too.

I'm out of ideas.
Tom

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
I installed only Mojave, and to be honest I can't enter to the BIOS , just after several tries. :( ..... I'll have to remove Mojave and to install Windows.
That's the same trouble I have since I did update the BIOS to 2417. But also my Z370 board Prime-A had this issue after the latest BIOS update. That's why I did buy the TUF 390 M Pro Gaming.

First I was able to setup everything just fine. But later, I tried to enter BIOS to do some changes and BAM! I could not enter the BIOS anymore. The only way to fix that was a CMOS reset. Then first boot Windows from a spare SSD and flash the latest BIOS again. From then on I am able to enter the BIOS and disable CSM to be able to boot from my NVMe drive again.

But in next Boot I cannot enter BIOS anymore again. What's that? I use ASUS boards for years and never had issues before. Also, after selecting my NVMe drive after one boot, it's not possible to select the NVMe drive again in BIOS. It just doesn't show up anymore in BIOS as a bootable device. I have to enable CSM to make the NVMe drive visible again.

Please help. For now I use a old 850 EVO SSD drive. It even boots faster then my 970 EVO ever did. b.t.w.

edit: Rolled back the BIOS update with afudos boot stick. Everything works fine again.

Last edited:
@MacMan followed your instructions and my build works really fine. A Big THANK YOU.

I'm not that guy who normally runs benchmarks, but my son wanted to know the numbers of my new build and compare it to his recent one (i7, Z370). GeekBench gives me around 6200-6400 in single 31000-32000 in multi. I run the same hardware except double the RAM (4x8GB), Fractal Design Meshify Case to fit Nocuta NH-D15 air cooling, FireWire PCI Card and Wifi-BT PCI card.

Should I worry about the multi-core performance? (I don't want to really, because it works like a charm for my needs.) Did I get any BIOS settings wrong?

EDIT: I used the free GeekBench version. I don't know if it matters.

Hi, thanks for your effort on this, just got mine up and working, just a couple of questions.

Seems that the WiFI doesn't work, is there a patch for that, or a special BIOS setting?

What is involved with the Emulate NVRam patch? I attempted to update to the latest Clover and it hung, as far as I can tell the patch is VirtualSMC and some scripts on the root volume. I would not think that the new Clover would change that, but I did notice that they did redo the directory structure for the .efi driver files.

So, I finally got Mojave installed. Initially, it would run for a few minutes before locking up. It wouldn't last long enough to let me run MultiBeast.
I've been pouring over the kexts and patches, trying to be sure I had everything in the right place and was using the latest versions. I was reviewing the config.plist before another attempt and noticed the product name/number. It was 19,1. That's an i9-9900K. I changed it to 14,2 and no more hangs!
I can't believe I didn't notice that earlier. I'll try some others, like 18,2 which is more like my i5-9600K.
Wowee, this thing is fast!
@MacMan, thanks for your work.

I’m hung at the Apple logo with the install bar. Not sure how to use the .zip file to fix this. The .zip file is on the USB stick, do I just unzip it there? What do I do after that?

“I've attached the patch file ASUS_ACPI in a .zip file that you can install using plistbuddy in Terminal after unzipping.”​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back