Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MacMan - any heat issues with your board? The ASUS seems to run a bit warmer than other boards, at least according to some online tests. Gigabyte is cooler, but not as versatile vis-a-vis slots, NVRAM etc...also apparently trickier to get working with FCPX. Any comments while I still have an open return window? :)
I haven't seen any issues with heat as I make sure I always use dual fans with the AIO water cooler.

Right now I'm running the Prime95 torture test and the CPU temp has maxed out at 63C and it's warm today and my office is 80F.

But I'm not overclocking yet.

@blaym is your system dual boot, ie have Windows and macOs installed. If so, then you should change Windows to use Universal Time, that is the easiest and quickest fix.
I installed only Mojave, and to be honest I can't enter to the BIOS , just after several tries. :( ..... I'll have to remove Mojave and to install Windows.

Try switching to HDMI or DP, and in BIOS Advanced Settings -> System Agent turn on CPU Graphics and turn on CSM.

I haven't seen any issues with heat as I make sure I always use dual fans with the AIO water cooler.

Right now I'm running the Prime95 torture test and the CPU temp has maxed out at 63C and it's warm today and my office is 80F.

But I'm not overclocking yet.
Thanks. I've had my 3770K overclocked to 4.6 full time for the past 7 years, so I'll probably apply a modest OC to this one too, once everything is set up. (And put some more exhaust fans in the case too...)

Hmmm.... I said I wasn't going to be a pest until the case arrived... but ;-)
I'm putting a NVMe into the top slot, and leaving it set for PCIe mode (in order to keep the SATA 1 port.)
Can I boot OSX from the NVMe card in that configuration?

Hmmm.... I said I wasn't going to be a pest until the case arrived... but ;-)
I'm putting a NVMe into the top slot, and leaving it set for PCIe mode (in order to keep the SATA 1 port.)
Can I boot OSX from the NVMe card in that configuration?
That's how I have mine configured. Booting from a NVMe card is fully supported in Mojave.

Can I use UniBeast to upgrade my drive (used on the current Gigabyte mobo) from 10.13 to 10.14? (It has 700GB of apps, libraries, etc., etc., and if I can get a clean upgrade to Mojave, on the new ASUS board, that would be a couple of days much easier than a slog thru Migration Assistant.) Can I get there from here, or do I just have to bite the bullet and install on a clean drive? (Yeah, I looked around here before asking, and only found conflicting advice... so I'm going straight to the horse's mouth to ask...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back