Contribute
Register

MacMan Build - GA-X58A-UD3R - i7-930 - HD 5770 Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant guide :) probs.

Ive got an extremely similar system and have followed this guide all the way up to installing multibeast + the extras recommending and restarting.

However everytime I do this my systems hangs on the loading screen and the monitor turns off as if its had its data cable unplugged.

Just tried it in verbose mode and it seems the main issue I could see (before the damned thing shuts down again) is that it can't find NVIdia adapters "WARNING: No NVIdia Adpaters found [......]" Said this at least 4-5 times just before it shut down.

What has gone on here? I'm not even using a NVidia GPU its an ATI Radeon HD 5570.

I presume a fresh OSX install is how to progress but I'd really like some advice on whats gona wrong else its just going to happen again! thanks.

Just wanted to post my experience here; I've always been encouraged by MacMan and Tony's builds, so I always look at their recommended list before diving in.

My first Hack build was the EP45-UD3P with the quad-core Q9650 and nVidia 9500GT. It was flawless; with the basic MultiBeast setup I didn't even need a DSDT till I garnered a better understanding of the system. Unfortunately, the board and CPU were used; I suspect a latent defect because I got random reboots and eventually the system started hanging until it wouldn't even boot any more. I'll skip the whole troubleshooting narrative, but it appears that both the CPU and the mobo have problems.

Instead of trying to find another set of outdated hardware, I decided the time was ripe to go to an X58 series board. I could re-use everything except the RAM (that got migrated to another memory-starved machine) and had the GA-X58A-UD3R already in anticipation of a follow-up build, so the cycle time was very quick; in just a couple of days I had the machine ready to go. Amazingly, it booted from my old HDD, incompatible DSDT and all. I used that to get the OS X installer running so that I could load appropriate kexts, etc. for the new board.

This led to the only problems I had during the process; the machine booted perfectly without DSDT and all I had to do was roll back the HDA stuff to get it working. But I wanted full functionality, so I downloaded the appropriate DSDT from here (rev 2, BIOS FB) and updated the MultiBeast install. Bam - kernel panic. I double-checked, downloaded and re-installed - nada. With some experimentation I found that the FD BIOS DSDT worked, but it made me nervous to use the wrong version. So I got the DSDT editor, took a raw DSDT from my system and processed it. Success! Power management, sleep/wake, and everything. USB, Firewire, even my wireless card works without a hitch.

I've just ordered a Z68 board so I'll have a second system for the office. The X58A was supposed to be my second system until the original one died...

Anyone had an success with a 10.8 Mountain Lion install on this machine? I'd like to upgrade--thought I'd check first before diving in.

I have this MB with i7-950 and HD 5870. Only problems I've had are keeping chameleon straight between the drives and partitions. I've used this board SL.

Yes, 10.8 was no problem. 10.8.2... another story altogether. Video card is your biggest potential issue, the installer for 10.8 only supports certain cards. Well documented here in the forums.

Where is the guide? o_O

Hello Stork / MacMan,

he is probably looking for:

a.) an Upgrade Guide for the X58A from 10.7.x or 10.6.x to 10.8.2+
b.) an Installation Guide from fresh for the X58A to install 10.8.2+
... containing:
  • BIOS Settings
  • Installation/upgrade Infos
  • Multibeast Options
  • List of what-does-not-work (for instance, sleep maybe or power management, etc)
  • Workarounds

At least - I am looking for exactly that.

Where I am:

• Current Setup: Latest 10.7.5 running. Upgraded from 10.6.x back in time.
  • Want to do: Fresh install (Directly install 10.8.2)
  • Software: I have got 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8
  • Hardware:
    • Gigabyte-GA-X85A-UD3R-Rev2.0-FF (i7 960)
    • Sapphire Radeon AMD/ATI HD 5850 Extreme 1GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort DeviceID 0x6889
    • SONY NEC Optiarc AD-7260S DVD RW
    • 2x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 64MB Cache SATAII (somehow feels VERY slow currently in 10.7.x - Maybe an alignment issue but don't know how to fix it)

p.s.: Would you recommend Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 256GB MZ-7PD256BW or Crucial m4 SSD 256GB, 2.5" CT256M4SSD2?

Follow the UniBeast Installation Guide using the latest UniBeast 1.6.x, the latest MultiBeast for Mountain Lion and the latest Mt Lion Installation app from the Apple Mac App Store.

I favor the SanDisk Extreme SSD line. However, the Samsung 830 or 840 Pro are good units. (The Samsung 840 is in the same class as OCZ Aligity.) Do your research, though. I like to use Anandtech.com and Tom's Hardware sites for reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back